Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i don't really like any of the exhausts out there for the 2nd gen so i'm gonna go the custom route and i had a couple questions for some of you knowledgable people. the question i have is whether or not i can attain a deeper sound without affecting performance by closely pairing the firing cylinders into two sets of exhaust ports. i.e. the firing order is 1,2,4,3 but the 1 and 4 cylinders are both at TDC at the same time but only one is firing and that would leave the 2 and 3 cylinders at TDC with only one firing. so would it be possible to emulate a more throaty v-twin sound by re-working the header to join the 1,4/2,3 headpipes and run them seperately all the way out?? if i have not painted a clear picture feel free to ask me WTF i am talking about.
any opinions appreciated

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
the question my friend is simple.
Have you ever fabbed a custom exhaust before ?
Even if you do, how could you beat the top sellers R&D.. they probably took years to perfect their exhausts.. and you, what, days/weeks ? Dont reinvent the wheel man.. just go buy a system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
missinlinc, not really im just trying to get a similar sound by accentuating the percussion in the firing of the cylinders together.

the question my friend is simple.
Have you ever fabbed a custom exhaust before ?
Even if you do, how could you beat the top sellers R&D.. they probably took years to perfect their exhausts.. and you, what, days/weeks ? Dont reinvent the wheel man.. just go buy a system.
the answer is simple my friend YES i have fabbed more things out of aluminum, titanium and stainless for both cars and bikes including exhaust then i can count on my pretty little digits. and reinventing the wheel i am not, if you sir think that the companies producing exhausts pull out the fluid dynamics engineers to figure out the perfect flow for an exhaust given the length of the bike and the valve sizing vs exhaust port shape/size i think you will find this to be quite untrue, take the "akrapovic" twin cam for example. that thing is just designed to minimize backpressure to increase power. now i know your thinking, but what about backpressure. there is no emperical evidence that states you need a certain amount of backpressure given you can add enough air and fuel, modern engines have strong enough valve springs to avoid valve float. if you would like me to go more into depth about exhaust systems i can, but i just wanted to know if anyone had tryed to get a more pronounced exhaust note from a inline 4......wheeeewwww that was a lot of typing

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
missinlinc, not really im just trying to get a similar sound by accentuating the percussion in the firing of the cylinders together.

the answer is simple my friend YES i have fabbed more things out of aluminum, titanium and stainless for both cars and bikes including exhaust then i can count on my pretty little digits. and reinventing the wheel i am not, if you sir think that the companies producing exhausts pull out the fluid dynamics engineers to figure out the perfect flow for an exhaust given the length of the bike and the valve sizing vs exhaust port shape/size i think you will find this to be quite untrue, take the "akrapovic" twin cam for example. that thing is just designed to minimize backpressure to increase power. now i know your thinking, but what about backpressure. there is no emperical evidence that states you need a certain amount of backpressure given you can add enough air and fuel, modern engines have strong enough valve springs to avoid valve float. if you would like me to go more into depth about exhaust systems i can, but i just wanted to know if anyone had tryed to get a more pronounced exhaust note from a inline 4......wheeeewwww that was a lot of typing

I pretty much agree with you.

Most aftermarket pipes like Akro just replicate the stock design with out the limitations the factories have. Especially the 06-07 version. It is exactly the same design, just improved upon.

If I was Akro, I would buy a BEET, and Leo, Arata, ect, test them all on my Dyno, then improve upon the best. No secret to it really.

Good luck with your design.

JJ

·
Registered
643 Posts
Good idea and you seem to have a good grasp of it. i'd worry about performace trying to expel that much exhaust at the same time, but i bet it could be done. as to what harm it might cause thats out of my league. like it was said above that could be awesome on a streetfighter. i'm looking forward to everyones ideas here and keep us posted how it works out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i believ what your thinking of with both cylinders being at TDC might be a bit off. Kawi actually did this for a while with the MotoGP bikes where they had 2 cylinders firing at the same time.

your cylinders would be firing 180 degrees off of each other, so you would likely not be emulating an V-Twin sound. (my opinion, not based on anything other that conjecture and the mechanics involved).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was more hoping to pair one firing cylinder with one cylinder in the non firing position and run those together all the way out and the same with the other two so that there would be only one cylinder firing out of one muffler at a time. ill have to play around and see if it changes the tone at all.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Your proposal will send a pulse into the collector pipe evenly spaced on each side, instead of two-in-a-row to one side followed by two-in-a-row to the other side. When they both join into one, it all evens out.

I doubt if there will be much difference in sound, but there might be a difference in the way it affects the torque curve. Whether it is a good effect or a bad one ... is hard to predict. I suspect the proposed symmetrical arrangement will give a bit better midrange and a bit less top-end power.

For some reason, practically every 4-cyl bike exhaust uses the left cylinders paired and right cylinders paired (asymmetrical) but practically every 4-cyl car exhaust has them paired symmetrically (1-4 join, 2-3 join).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lucky, most people put an exhaust on for two reasons 1-looks and 2-sound....i already stated that i didnt like any of the exhausts out there so i figured that i would also try and get a different sound out of it. and i like to have unique shit on the things that i own, especially if i constructed and designed it. i don't undertand why you want me to go buy an exhaust so badly.....i think you work for arrow or akrapovic or someone like that :idea:

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
NO.. im actually selling a full Akrapoviv Evo II
:)

Anyway.. i mean, you prefer looks and sound over performance ? Even the proffesional AMA teams dont make their own exhausts....

·
Registered
123 Posts
NO.. im actually selling a full Akrapoviv Evo II
:)

Anyway.. i mean, you prefer looks and sound over performance ? Even the proffesional AMA teams dont make their own exhausts....
Lol just drop it homie the guy obviously knows what he wants. Atleast he's not buying a boz b2!:spit:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh christ un-lucky10r do you have any sort of elucidation that will pertain to my question at hand?....if not, i would prefer that you keep your "go buy one", "can you even make one" unexploratory attitude to yourself . i just wanted to throw a somewhat unique exhaust Q out there, not a "what exhaust is cool for the 10R!?!?!!!!?!!?" thread. anyway thanks for the responses guys when i build it ill do a preliminary dyno run at my work with stock exhaust, and then see what i get afterwards.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Why you getting defensive for ?
Have I, in any way, insulted you or your purpose ?
I was asking a question just like you were

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey 240, post some pics of what you end up with. what about running 4 into 4 exhaust? maybe cut stock pipes just before collectors fab it from there? what do you use for mufflers? i've seen some fairly good quality exhaust tips(i think for imports maybe)reasonably priced, is that a possibility?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts