Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a reason to build a speaker box in the car. Fusion sponsored a couple cars in the car club and mine was one of them. So I have to do something nice. I started reading up on how to build fiberglass boxes. After I build this side, I'm going to start on the other side, also have to build a amp rack and something to hold to NO2 bottles.

This is my 1st time working with fiberglass.....I hope I do the outter shell nice.

Here is what I did tonight. The tape was done last week.

I put the foil down to help release it, but I found it hard to get it to shape to the area. It (fiberglass) didn't stick to alot of the tape, some it did. But it did pop out nicely. The only thing I see that I screwed up on was not laying the plastic sheet down 1st. It would stick to my fingers and pull away from everything.....big hassle. Tomorrow I will start building up the layers on the negative.

The wife wanted in on it, she cut out one of the speaker rings...1st time with a jig-saw

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
looks good so far. can't wait to see the finished product

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
looks good and have fun...i use to build speaker boxes back when i was in high school out of wood...make sure you take final pics

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I do this for a living and have been for years (and currently go to school to be in the medical field)

First off, I hope youre GF isnt around FB with a face mask and a tank top? lol.

Fleece is a GREAT fabric to mold using FG. Its easy to work with, absorbs alot of the FB and also cheap. Try to use good bondo and take your time sanding and prepping the piece. Nothing sucks more than having done all that work then having the putty crack after it dries. PREP PREP PREP

Decide what size juice bottle youre going to be using. Maybe for asthetics, you can use two smaller ones and the amp(s) along the middle in an angle facing the rear of the car. What i'd do is get plexy glass, fog it and use the spare tire compartment as the center point of the install and making a false floor out of the fogged plexi. LED's underneath will give it a nice subtle glow.

You using Fusion products? Good luck and feel free to hit me up with any questions.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the wife cut the MDF like that. I took that picture right after she finished cutting it. I had a fan blowing the saw dust away and out of the garage.... Should we be using a differnt mask? She was out last night while I was laying the glass down.

I purchased I think 3 sq yards of the fleece for the out side and a small can of bondo. I have a neighbor thats built some show winning boxes....I've got him helping me some what too.

The lay out is not set in stone yet, The two amps will be stacked and I'm trying ot make them look like they are floating. I think I'm going to make the rack out of 1/2" aluminum bars to keep the rack as hidden as possible. The bottles are two small tanks (@ the airbrushers now).

Yeah fusion products. My 1st audio sponsor. I'll keep you in mind if I hit any road blocks.....

Here is another picture of a trial cut the wife did.....

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ahhh, women with power tools!:thumbsup::wink:

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
You fuggers are killin me! Keep the wifee pics comin tho!!!! LOL:badteeth:

Oh yea, make sure to put up some finished pics of the box... :stir: :lol:

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I think you may have hit upon an untapped market, Fixer. Need to start a website with pics of her working on projects. Where do I sign up?

:spit: :+1:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm...I wonder what else I can have her build.... :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
looks good bro. fiberglass is a bit of a double edge sword. The worst part is sanding it and getting it close to ready for paint. I am by no means a pro with it but i have fiberglassed the deck of a speedboat and "started" my speakerbox. Needless to say I got the 10 this year and basically the box will never get done. Good luck and definitely keep updating the pics.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder what else I can have her build.... :)
Have her install laminate flooring or carpet...
You got any high ceilings she can paint?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

tits n apples, she is cutting into the box :lol:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

tits n apples, she is cutting into the box :lol:
Naw, that was right before she turned the wood :) I need to get a better place to cut stuff.

You really should get a respirator, not the masks you are using now. resin fumes are toxic.
We weren't sure what to get. The box said it should be used with using fiberglass.....It was like $30 vs $3....I wasnt sure and finding help in HD was not happening that night. I will go look @ them again though. THANKS!!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts