Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm going to be building (have one built) a new garage. I am leaning towards a 40x40 pole building i think. Can you guys give me any advice, or tell me things you wish you knew before taking on this task. I am gonna start with a concrete pad, building structure, and power for now, insulation will come at a later date. I appreciate all your help and wisdom in advance. Thank You!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Had a 30 x 60 shop onetime. Advice: don't scrimp on the concrete quality/reinforcing. Insulate, (depending on lat/long), but it makes a HUGE difference in heat and cool. Put in a urinal. Make storage in upper loft/rafters (if applicable). Run plenty of outlets and plumb in compressed air.

·
Registered
227 Posts
consider under slab insulation. This makes a tremendous difference in regulating the temperature. I would also consider running that 240v to and annex outside. Big, powerful compressors are LOUD, you'll want to house it away from your workspace.

·
Registered
675 Posts

Go on there and check out some of the builds people document or make your own thread. So many knowledgeable people over there.

Just some basic things I've gathered that I'd like to implement if I ever got to build something. Lights, you can never have too much light. I'd like hot/cold water and a drain. Outlets. If you can have enough room for the 240 like others have said for a welder/compressor. I also saw a guy that did outlets every 4 feet and then had every other one be on a different circuit if that makes sense. I also dabble in wood working and would love this setup so I could have my table saw and a mobile dust collector plugged in one area and then my miter saw in another and just move the dust collector to another nearby outlet.

If you like to play around you can try to model your garage in sketchup or even just draw it out on a piece of graph paper on how you think you might want it. It's fun to play around in the app and its free. I've made most of the things I've built first in sketchup to make sure it'll fit together once I'm done lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just went through this very same journey. If your a hobbiest who spends most of their time working on cars/bikes. Make sure your lighting is up to par. 60 lumens a SQ foot is nice and imho a bare minimum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.