Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

What's up?
I have a few questions I would like to run by you guys if I may...
<spoiler alert> The first one is pretty dumb :)
I just bought a 2013 ZX10R for track use only. I have a race ECU and I want to put a quickshifter and run the gear GP style (reverse shifting). Which sensor should I buy, the pull or the push?
Now I know what you're all gonna say, "just look at the gear numbnuts!". TRUE, but my new bike is in a different country so I have no way to confirm this :) I tried finding this info online and got confused.
As far as I understand, the pressure type shifters are pretty simple. Is there a specific brand I should go with? I saw that DJ wants over $220 for their sensor while others, like Dano's Performance asking for $135...I also found one called Nextup, also cheaper than the DJ. any differences?
Now, I also have a 2010 ZX10R race ready, it has everything on it !! Can I salvage race parts from the Gen3 and reuse them on the Gen4?
I know the levers and the brake pads are the same.
What about the rearsets? considering I can build a bracket to fit the Gen4 frame, can I use them? What about the steering damper? you catch my drift right?
Anyway, that's it for now :)
Thanks in advance for any info !

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
Just look at the gear numbnuts! Just because your bike is not there, doesn't mean there aren't pics numbnuts. Like this one numbnuts.

You can see in this picture, numbnuts, that it's already set up for GP shifting so you can see that it requires a PULL sensor. Numbnuts.

I believe the Dynojet sensor is the only one that is compatible with the race harness directly. Not 100% on that, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. Others may be able to be used with modification though. Numbnuts.

The damper can be reused if you ditch the ESD. Rearsets, probably will work. Not sure though. Numbnuts.

I like typing and saying numbnuts. It's not used often enough any longer and hopefully that term will come back into style. :badteeth: :lol:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Correct, Race Kit harness/ecu is only compatible with DynoJet sensor and one more, which I haven't personally heard of before, called Battle Factory. (taken from the race kit manual). Push or pull, depends on what your rear sets are doing. The the picture above, the knuckle arm on the left side of the mechanism is flipped 180 degrees and the rearset is set to create PULL motion for up shifts so this means the sensor should be pull type. However, granted on different bikes that I have seen, push or pull depends on the rearset brand/type, as designs vary. As for rearsets from Gen3, I wouldn't assume they would fit. Gen4 and Gen5 rearsets aren't the same and these are very similar bikes in many ways. Personally, I don't like the idea of fabricating custom brackets to make Gen3 rearsets fit on a Gen4. Seems like more effort than it's worth. Get yourself a set of Vortex rearsets, which will also answer your question about the type of quick shifter sensor you need, which is DynoJet Pull type.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Correct, Race Kit harness/ecu is only compatible with DynoJet sensor and one more, which I haven't personally heard of before, called Battle Factory. (taken from the race kit manual). Push or pull, depends on what your rear sets are doing. The the picture above, the knuckle arm on the left side of the mechanism is flipped 180 degrees and the rearset is set to create PULL motion for up shifts so this means the sensor should be pull type. However, granted on different bikes that I have seen, push or pull depends on the rearset brand/type, as designs vary. As for rearsets from Gen3, I wouldn't assume they would fit. Gen4 and Gen5 rearsets aren't the same and these are very similar bikes in many ways. Personally, I don't like the idea of fabricating custom brackets to make Gen3 rearsets fit on a Gen4. Seems like more effort than it's worth. Get yourself a set of Vortex rearsets, which will also answer your question about the type of quick shifter sensor you need, which is DynoJet Pull type.
Not true, I'm using a cordona strain gauge sensor with mine, although it took a little extra wiring and isn't as plug and play as the 2 wire DJ sensor is. And there's some practically new woodcraft rearsets I've listed in the classifieds >:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all, SkyDork, as English is not my native language, I've used "numbnuts" as in my mind it's a nicer way to call someone an "idiot"...hahaha I might be wrong but anyway, you killed me with your post :)
Second, I did look at pictures, even the one you posted here, but I wanted to make sure I'm not buying the wrong part...I guess I thought it's better to be safe than sorry :)
Now, I did some readings and as you said, the steering damper I have on my 2008 will fit, but is it really worth it? It's a surprise to me that Ohlins make such bad dampers.
I read a post you wrote some time back stating that all ZX10R's steering dumpers from 2006 to 2015 (i think) are interchangeable. Does it also includes GPR damper? I mean, will a 2006 GPR damper fit my 2013?
The 06-07 GPR dampers costs $250 on eBay but I don't think they will fit. Do you know if all GPR v4's stabilizers are the same only with different mounting kits? I couldn't find a lot of info on their website.
Regarding the rearsets, my mechanic will build me an adapter and I hope it would do the trick. It's a ValterMoto rearsets which I really like.
My mechanic also told me that the QS is only really a switch and it is very easy to make by ourselves. He said that he can basically make one and have the two wires connected to the race ECU in the correct pins and that's it...I think Kawasaki are pointing us to DJ and Battle Factory just as a suggestion. other sensors could also work.
Anyway, if you have any more info about the dampers, please let me know. I have a race event next month and I refuse to go on the track without a proper stabilizer!
Thanks guys !

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
First of all, SkyDork, as English is not my native language, I've used "numbnuts" as in my mind it's a nicer way to call someone an "idiot"...hahaha I might be wrong but anyway, you killed me with your post :)
Second, I did look at pictures, even the one you posted here, but I wanted to make sure I'm not buying the wrong part...I guess I thought it's better to be safe than sorry :)
Now, I did some readings and as you said, the steering damper I have on my 2008 will fit, but is it really worth it? It's a surprise to me that Ohlins make such bad dampers.
I read a post you wrote some time back stating that all ZX10R's steering dumpers from 2006 to 2015 (i think) are interchangeable. Does it also includes GPR damper? I mean, will a 2006 GPR damper fit my 2013?
The 06-07 GPR dampers costs $250 on eBay but I don't think they will fit. Do you know if all GPR v4's stabilizers are the same only with different mounting kits? I couldn't find a lot of info on their website.
Regarding the rearsets, my mechanic will build me an adapter and I hope it would do the trick. It's a ValterMoto rearsets which I really like.
My mechanic also told me that the QS is only really a switch and it is very easy to make by ourselves. He said that he can basically make one and have the two wires connected to the race ECU in the correct pins and that's it...I think Kawasaki are pointing us to DJ and Battle Factory just as a suggestion. other sensors could also work.
Anyway, if you have any more info about the dampers, please let me know. I have a race event next month and I refuse to go on the track without a proper stabilizer!
Thanks guys !
You got the numbnuts term correct. It's basically slang for idiot like you suggested. I used the term in my post sarcastically to give some comedic relief to the post! :lol:

So, as for the damper, the hydraulic ones are pretty much the same with the exception of the engraved logo that came out in 2010. In 2013 they installed the ESD on all models. So the Ohlins manual hydraulic dampers are all the same from 2006-2012 (save for the sticker/engraving). They are built to Kawi's specs, which is why they aren't nearly as stiff as the aftermarket Ohlins ones. They can be swapped in place of the ESD ones as a bolt-on, but removing the ESD by just unplugging it will cause a fault light. Ohlins makes a Race SCU to tighten up the response of the ESD instead of having to swap it out.

The GPR is a rotary damper and mounts completely differently. It's likely all GPRs are the same with different mounting brackets per bike model. I would not expect a 2006 GPR damper to bolt right onto a 2013 model.

Yes, you could potentially build your own QS switch is you know how the Race ECU is looking for the input. Is it a ground switch trigger? Or is it a circuit interrupt signal? If you have the DJ switch and can analyze it for it's operation, then you could replicate it. But at that point you might as well just use the DJ switch. As mentioned, there's probably a ton of different options if you're willing to rewire and troubleshoot them.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks guys !
Speaking from experience, Ohlins steering dampers are fine. It is common knowledge that the OEM zx10 ohlins damper needs to be re-valved to match demands on the race track style riding. It's like a $100 job, if that. That is a cheaper route than buying essentially the same new damper with different valving. GPR dampers I really dislike and for two reasons. One, you have to remove it each time you need to remove the tank and it gets old real fast. And two, I really don't like the way steering feels with it on. Unless you completely loosen it, which makes it useless, the steering feels a bit weird and I really dislike that.

It's true that, for QS, all that race ecu really expects is essentially an on/off switch. That said, making my own that would work reliably, I wouldn't care to bother with. If money is a concern, get a used one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They can be swapped in place of the ESD ones as a bolt-on, but removing the ESD by just unplugging it will cause a fault light. Ohlins makes a Race SCU to tighten up the response of the ESD instead of having to swap it out.

The GPR is a rotary damper and mounts completely differently. It's likely all GPRs are the same with different mounting brackets per bike model. I would not expect a 2006 GPR damper to bolt right onto a 2013 model.
I read about the faulty light and even power limit after disconnecting the ESD but I just bought a Race ECU (with harness and USB cable) so I won't get any warning lights :)
I think I better look for a used stabilizer, maybe one that has already been re-valved.
The reason I'm asking about the GPR is because I saw a few on eBay, from different models like GSX-R or CBR and I thought maybe I can buy one and just order the mounting kit from GPR...

It's true that, for QS, all that race ecu really expects is essentially an on/off switch. That said, making my own that would work reliably, I wouldn't care to bother with. If money is a concern, get a used one.
I'm not going to attempt doing this man :)
My bike is not with me so when I'm flying to race events or free practice, I wan't to ride, not playing with stuff.
I actually found a used DynoJet QS for like $140. It's from the same guy who sold me the Race ECU :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts