Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a ZX forum, I am a member and ride an 07 zx10r but my bro rides a buell and the buell forums SUCK. I just wanted to bounce some ideas off you guys and see what I could come up w/ the story to date is:
Fabbed a free flowing exhaust system and intake

Ran great, but carb fell off because i didn't realize I removed the carb retaining bracket (did you know it "mounts" to the valve cover vent?! that's dumb). Regardless, I was dumb for not figureing it out.

I crippled it home and pulled the carb and made a new mount for it. I pulled the slide and main needle and shimmed it with a small washer while I had it apart to see if that livened things up. I put it back together and it ran like crap. So I pulled the carb and removed the shimm...still crap. I pulled the carb 3 more times and tried to reaseal the vacuume diaphram and that didn't help. I looked for vacuume leaks on the carb, but nothing could be found.

So I thought it might be a VOES switch, that is vacuum powered and switches an ignittion advace, but that switch tested out fine

Then I checked his plug wires, coil and it's power source wires. The plug wires came out fine. The coil ohmed out at 10k ohms on the secondary coil and 0.3 ohms on the primary coil, which seems to be correct for these coils from what i can tell. The power sources seem to possibly have an issue. One reads an honest 12v when grounded to the head, but when run through it's counter part wire (the coil has two wires to the primary coil, a pink one and a white one) it only reads 8.5v and seems to have between 18 and 20 ohms of resistance back through that one wire (the pink one) it goes back to the tach and the electronic ignitoion.

The symptoms are: Starts and runs fine, runs good under 3k rpm, anything over 3k will make the engine bogg/miss. any quick throttle increases even small ones makes it stumble worse. If you change the throttle steadily it doesn't accelerate, it just boggs/misses worse.

Soooooo do you guys have any ideas or sujestions? If this coil wire checks out to be OK I'll try to check for a vacuum leak around the carb to intake junction. Thanks.

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
Sounds like a carb problem to me, either the vacuum diaphragm and slide is sticking or the jet(s)/ vents may have a problem. Did your remove / replace the OEM filter by chance? The same things happened to me on my 900A1 Ninja when I replaced the OEM airbox and filter for individual air filters without rejetting the carbs and modding the slide holes. I had to go back to the OEM airbox for it to work right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i changed the OEM air box out for an open air element. I wondered if this could cuase problems, but I had a similar filter on it when it was running OK. I'll try putting the filter box back on once I get it put back together. I have it tore apart chasin down this wire to see if it was shortin out somewhere.

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
The slides need air restriction to work properly unless the holes in them are enlarged and the carbs are rejetted to work with the higher flow filters. I may not be 100% correct but that was my experience and what a 'real' mechanic explained to me. Hope I helped.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I had a Buell once and it was doing something similar I took it into buell they fixed it, and when I picked it up they told me it was a loose wire...so I was like OK.........2 weeks later I see the tech out at the bar and we was like....did they tell you what was up with your bike? I said yeah a loose wire? he said yeah... in your fuel tank!! shorting out on the frame! he then said if I would have had a empty tank I would be dead! and that buell did a serious investigation on this problem but never thought to tell me the truth on what was going on!! I sold the buell and never looked back...tell your friend to do the same!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL indeed. He likes them alot, but I keep tellin him you can't beat the performance, quality and price of the japanese bikes.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
LOL indeed. He likes them alot, but I keep tellin him you can't beat the performance, quality and price of the japanese bikes.
I know how he feels too. I know my Duc isn't as reliable as my 10 but I love it just the same though people say it's junk. Call me a sadist. :wink:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I had a Buell once and it was doing something similar I took it into buell they fixed it, and when I picked it up they told me it was a loose wire...so I was like OK.........2 weeks later I see the tech out at the bar and we was like....did they tell you what was up with your bike? I said yeah a loose wire? he said yeah... in your fuel tank!! shorting out on the frame! he then said if I would have had a empty tank I would be dead! and that buell did a serious investigation on this problem but never thought to tell me the truth on what was going on!! I sold the buell and never looked back...tell your friend to do the same!
Saw a gas tank on here where something similar happened but I'm not selling the 10r, I did trade my Buell in but would have kept it if I could have 4 bikes now.

Mine was an XB (ulysses) and the one in this thread must be a tuber.
Yours must have been an XB to have the problem you described.
There was a guy on Badweb that had that problem and was pissed, haven't seen a repeat though.

That wasn't you on badweb was it?

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
What make/model/year we talking here? 883 or 1200? I have worked on the 1200 engine's carb...pretty straight-forward. I would think you should set the stock air box back up and just see how it runs then...or pick yourself up a jet kit and start tweaking? Good luck with the fix.
-Seb

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Saw a gas tank on here where something similar happened but I'm not selling the 10r, I did trade my Buell in but would have kept it if I could have 4 bikes now.

Mine was an XB (ulysses) and the one in this thread must be a tuber.
Yours must have been an XB to have the problem you described.
There was a guy on Badweb that had that problem and was pissed, haven't seen a repeat though.

That wasn't you on badweb was it?
No mine was in 05 it was according to the Tech at Buell the 1st one they had seen. I had the XB12R and what pissed me off was Buell told the shop not to tell me! I was not upset about the problem "shit happens" but when they try to cover it up thats what got me pissed! and yes the guy who bought the bike off me got the whole story! but I sold a 1 year old bike with 3000 miles for $3500 so I don't think he cared much! don't get me wrong I loved the XB as a street bike! it was allot of fun and if buell would have been more forthright in the situation I may still have the bike or even a new Buell!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's a 2002 buell m2 cyclone. it's the 1200cc motor. the carb's pretty basic. I posted my issues on badweatherbikers.com orignally, but it's not going so well...not alot of great thinkers. I mean there's been some good sugestions. but one guy told me to take it to a dyno, i thought that was absurd since it's obviously running like crap, i don't need a dyno to tell me that, i can tune it just fine by feel when it's this bad!! and dyno is for bikes that run good and you want every last bit of hp, not bikes that are obviously messed up and need trouble shooting lol. Oh well. Looks like my next move is to put the air box back on and i'll go from there.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I know this is a ZX forum, I am a member and ride an 07 zx10r but my bro rides a buell and the buell forums SUCK. I just wanted to bounce some ideas off you guys and see what I could come up w/ the story to date is:
Fabbed a free flowing exhaust system and intake

Ran great, but carb fell off because i didn't realize I removed the carb retaining bracket (did you know it "mounts" to the valve cover vent?! that's dumb). Regardless, I was dumb for not figureing it out.

I crippled it home and pulled the carb and made a new mount for it. I pulled the slide and main needle and shimmed it with a small washer while I had it apart to see if that livened things up. I put it back together and it ran like crap. So I pulled the carb and removed the shimm...still crap. I pulled the carb 3 more times and tried to reaseal the vacuume diaphram and that didn't help. I looked for vacuume leaks on the carb, but nothing could be found.

So I thought it might be a VOES switch, that is vacuum powered and switches an ignittion advace, but that switch tested out fine

Then I checked his plug wires, coil and it's power source wires. The plug wires came out fine. The coil ohmed out at 10k ohms on the secondary coil and 0.3 ohms on the primary coil, which seems to be correct for these coils from what i can tell. The power sources seem to possibly have an issue. One reads an honest 12v when grounded to the head, but when run through it's counter part wire (the coil has two wires to the primary coil, a pink one and a white one) it only reads 8.5v and seems to have between 18 and 20 ohms of resistance back through that one wire (the pink one) it goes back to the tach and the electronic ignitoion.

The symptoms are: Starts and runs fine, runs good under 3k rpm, anything over 3k will make the engine bogg/miss. any quick throttle increases even small ones makes it stumble worse. If you change the throttle steadily it doesn't accelerate, it just boggs/misses worse.

Soooooo do you guys have any ideas or sujestions? If this coil wire checks out to be OK I'll try to check for a vacuum leak around the carb to intake junction. Thanks.
sound like a electrical issue to me! some time you will have a failure of one system i.e like the carb falling off... and you will chase your tail for days thinking that has something to do with it! but it's just a "red herring" check your fuel pump and ignition! could be a misfire on one cylinder! try the screw driver handle trick! if you don't know what that is...fire the bike up and take a screwdriver handle and run the plastic down the exhaust close to the jug! if it moves across the pipe easy it firing on that cylinder if it drags across it's not firing on that cylinder!

PS JUST THOUGHT OF THIS
Buell has a overheat safety system, if the bike gets too hot if will turn OFF the rear cylinder due to the fact it gets less air and gets the hottest the fastest! it may be in limp mode due to an overheat and may not have reset itself!!!!!

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Racer- yeah that's messed up they told them not to tell you.

Holmes- sucks that badweb isn't helping, guess it can be pretty hit and miss.

The dyno comment was a dumb idea for sure at this point.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not yet, not time. I have to leave for school at 6:15am and then I get home, study and sleep, repeat cycle. This weekend I'm goin w/ the wife to DC so next week or weekend I hope to get to look at it a little more. I hate moving this slowly on it, it drives me nuts. But since I didn't do so hot last semester I figured I aught to try harder LOL.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Part of the problem turned out to be an obstruction in the throat of the carb. I'd used electrical tape as a temporary bushing to get the air cleaner to fit while I was sorting every thing out... well it got hot and started to sluff off into the opening of the carb making it essentially 1/3 it's actual diameter. So it runs a good bit better, but on the top end i lose power and it will die on me and then not restart, if i jiggle wire and sit a while it will start again. It seems to be OK if i don't romp on it and get up in the rpm. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
just a thought but how did you check for the vacuum leak. The easiest way to to spay it down with ether. if it revs then you have a leak. Just a thought. I may have had to much to drink so don't flame me.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
This is gonna sound like overkill for something that you probably already looked at. After I changed the plugs on my buddies R1 when I put the gas tank back on I pinched the fuel line. It would idle fine and start good but would die at mid-high RPMs.

Just a thought to check out all of the fuel lines make sure they are not pinched and are all properly connected and are in good condition.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts