Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
There's a video from Erik at www.buell.com. He pretty much lays it out there.

It really sucks. I always thought buells were really cool. Perhaps not truely competitive with the japanese sportbikes, but definately innovative and different. I thought the 1125R and CR were steps in the right direction.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
That sucks. Forget about the racing, the Ulysses is a great bike.

Kind of like an American BMW adventure bike but a little sporty.

I sold mine to get a smaller dual sport but have said I'd have another some day.

The 2010 Uly even addressed some of the heat issues.

What other production motorcycle including Harley, could you meet the guy with his name on the tank.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Thats really too bad, the 1125R is a much better sportbike than it gets credit for being.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
This is a really bad day for Buell and Buell riders if you have ever had the opportunity to meet or talk to Erik he is a great guy that loves making bikes! very sad indeed!

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Latest: HD is selling MV Agusta immediately...

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/business/64352502.html
"Harley-Davidson Inc. said Thursday it will discontinue its Buell motorcycle brand and divest its recently acquired MV Agusta lineup as the company announced dismal third-quarter earnings."

"Harley said its third-quarter income fell 84%"

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
I guess all those dmg rules are now out the window!!!
Looks that way; all racing support programs are cancelled immediately, which means a few people are out of a ride, and it also means the Buells won't be out on the track unless a privateer is running them.

I didn't like how DMG was pandering to Buell, but this wasn't the way I was hoping that the problem would be solved.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
as much as i disagree with buell racing against 600's (the numbers just are not fair), it does suck to see HD drop them. Im sure with another few years of development and experience, buell would have made a giant leap in competition level. You could tell that Erik is a real motorcycle guy and he honestly looked devastated giving that message.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thats really too bad, the 1125R is a much better sportbike than it gets credit for being.
You know when I first saw that bike I wanted to like it but I couldn't, the front looked too much like an old TLS and the exhaust looked like hell.

Anyway, this was the double edge sword of being part of Harley. You get the dealer network and financial help but it seems like nothing got done in a hurry ie. Harley never did get around to building Buell a real engine.

This is all too bad, Buell is America's John Britten, a brilliant designer with an uncompromising vision and he should be applauded for his accomplishments. After he writes a book, I think we will see him again. He proved he could compete against the best in the world (even if the rules where a bit staked), I don't see him giving up.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Probibly internet Bullshit but its said that Yamaha is looking into buying Buell. Actually the Paring makes sence . Love them or hate them. Yamaha has came out with most of japaneses bike industries new ideas . Single shock rear suspension , aluminum spar frames , 5 valve heads, new crank design ect ect .

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
But yamaha's also suck LOL^^^
I wish they would throw some of that suck Kawis way so we could compete in Moto GP or WSBK.:crackup:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Damn shame, I thought they had some good ideas. It's always terrible to hear an American company go down and the loss of jobs that go with it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
AB Yamahas dont suck old Moto morinis < benellis ect suck . Fix bike, ride bike,fix bike ride bike . Somewhere in the middle of fix , ride your bike sits in garage for awhile because parts arnt available . Thats a bike that sucks lol.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Harley had to make a BILLION dollar loan for operating expences this year . Bad loans are killing them .... My son has a road king with 2200cc motor 675 lift =worked . Classic retro syling nice bike actully as long as your riding in strait line . Anyhow the Harley site has less smpathy than here at ZX10 . One guy that owns a Dyna Glide (with ape hangers no less ie = the assholes that never wave back ) is telling me how Buells dont handle well . The one thing you couldnt deny was buells are great in the twistes (if you ever get the chance try one ) Even the Xb model with the sportster based engine handled exceptionaly well

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Harley had to make a BILLION dollar loan for operating expences this year . Bad loans are killing them .... My son has a road king with 2200cc motor 675 lift =worked . Classic retro syling nice bike actully as long as your riding in strait line . Anyhow the Harley site has less smpathy than here at ZX10 . One guy that owns a Dyna Glide (with ape hangers no less ie = the assholes that never wave back ) is telling me how Buells dont handle well . The one thing you couldnt deny was buells are great in the twistes (if you ever get the chance try one ) Even the Xb model with the sportster based engine handled exceptionaly well
Even my tall ass Buell Ulysses handles real well. Better than a bike that tall should handle IMO.

The sportier bikes must be fun. Not a fan of the belt drive though.
It was smooth and quiet but among other things, it makes gearing changes a pain.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
advice from HD riders on a bikes performance capabilities is pretty much useless to me, they can barely go down the damn road without causing a scene.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts