Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would share with the ZX-10 community what I have done to bring a downed bike back to life. I bought this bike in April of last year with 6k miles for $5600 in wrecked by very rideable condition, the previous owned looped it and the bike had scratch damage to almost every fairing, and a nice 5 inch long dent in the top of the tank along one of the ridges. The bar ends, mirrors, and stock levers all have damage, but I plan to replace them. I've lurked on this board a lot for info, but very rarely post.

I rode this bike for about 1500 miles before I started work on it, to get used to the bike, as this generation ZX has a reputation. Comfortable with the bike, I spent 3 weekends back to back sanding and painting. I work full time and go to University so I don't have the funds for a professional job. I spent less than $150 on materials, which I ordered through Summit racing. That includes paint, clear, primer, and body/scratch filler. I've never done automotive body work before, so it was a learning process, and it turned out well enough for me. It's not perfect, yes I know Trey can do a better job. :) I do plan on decals, I just have not found good ones yet.

I am a big visibility proponent too, I like being seen, night and day, so I was thinking a white or yellow paint, but I saw the Metalspecks and thought I would give it a shot, it's VERY reactive to sunlight. It's bright. It's shiny. I like it. It's also very matte, It feels like 600 grit sandpaper once it dries, it's much more matte than the original Ti color, which is what I really wanted but the Ti paint was more than i was willing to pay. The clear coat gives it more of a shine, but it's still not glossy. I know the matte texture is love/hate usually, so I had to let you guys know.

The silver is what I used, but almost went with the blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
:thumbsup: looking good thanks for sharin

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
so hot, want to touch.

what's that thing behind your screen?

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Hell it looks good to me! Some better pics would be good but I say good job man. :cool:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
i'm really interested in seeing some HIGH RES photos of this bike. i can't quite tell that it's a matte, it just looks metallic in the one close up photo.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Looks great in the pics...nice job:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info... might do something like this for track plastics...:badteeth:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lights. Those are my 'modulating headlights' which I call them. I hate always on modulating headlights because they're annoying, but I wanted something on tap that says DONT TURN LEFT IN FRONT OF ME. I know you all can level with me there.

So I fabricated 4 LED's (White for legality) behind the windscreen and inside the front wheel well, with two toggle switches, one on the left hand control that I can hit with my thumb that turns them on, and one between the windscreen lights that toggles between the many different flash patterns (39 or so I think).

I will upload a youtube video of them during the day, and maybe on later at night. Each pod has 3 LED's of 1 watt capacity each so they are quite bright. I turn them on if I see someone in front of me wanting to turn into or across my lanes if they are A) Old, B) Young C) On a cell phone, D) Starting to move in the slightest or E) If they are driving a big semi or panel truck.

As for a better res, I used tinypic since this board limits the size I can attach.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried to get a sticker with contrasting colors to show the semi-gloss reflection, hope this helps determine the matte level. The unglossed matte level of this paint is very coarse, and I wouldn't suggest using without clear as bug guts and grease are impossible to get off. I rode with some panels uncleared and ended up re-doing them.

And the daytime lights:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone. The gas splashes have not been a problem thus far, and it's the one thing I worried most about. I've spilled gas on it, but i used an automotive grade clearcoat and wiped the gas off after filling, no problems yet. The clear is an automotive grade clear, but rattlecan of course.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Outstanding job. The bike looks very, very nice. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Outstanding job, the bike looks great.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Man, I'm surprised the cops don't mess with you. Bike looks good though

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I was concerned about it at first and did ask some LEO friends about the idea before I made the lights and the consensus was that as long as they are white or yellow(like construction crews or power company trucks) and not always on, there shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts