Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

A new and interesting experience today!

When accelerating through the revs at approximately 5000 RPMs. The bike begins to cut out (I think it's running out of fuel), and then would shortly come alive again picking up revs quickly with a twist of the wrist (wheels in the air and his head was shaking) and then begin to die again until the lower revs are reached… Giving me a bunking bronco ride… Oh yeah Ride him cowboy knees tight on the tank waiting for the next buck…

Love it in the higher RPMs. My boy was out-of-control. Breathing hard with his head high in the sky…Yippee ki–yay cowboy…now that's what I call a ride.

The bike never died in his fine at the lower RPMs

I believe I am having a fuel delivery problem. However, I am open to other suggestions.

1. Replace the fuel pump and filter(not my first time at the rodeo).

2. Visually checked and inspected kickstand switch and confirmed operation with
kickstand down put in first gear bike immediately dies.

3. The fuel line, vent lines and return lines clean and clear with no kinks

4. Screen is free and clear of error codes.

5. Sub throttle valve actuator has been repaired and is operational.

Need some help with my wild stallion.

F-18

·
Registered
461 Posts
Seems every time i hear someone with this problem it is usually a fuel line being kinked when putting the tank back on. I know you said no kinks but you may want to double or triple check when putting the tank back on.

Reactions: dudewhrsmybike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you have any fuel injection piggybacks hooked up? My buddy had that happen on his gen4 when he was using a power commander

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello: Belkin's, TJG312, and evilaugust.

It's very nice to make your acquaintances and thank you for answering my call for help!

I'm going to check fuel lines again for any kinks or irregularities in the line.

Fuel injection is OEM no power commander.

I will fully inspect the kickstand switch… I will loop the 2 wires together… Just to make sure

There are few other things. I'm going to check. Tell me what you guys think…

The sub throttle valve actuator opens and closes (occasionally acting erratically for a few seconds) however it seems labored and makes a very strange noise.

Therefore I'm going to try and lubricate the assembly and see if that makes any difference (fingers crossed).

Further, a fresh load of fuel in the tank… I'm in California we have ethanol at certain times of the year and I don't know how long the bike was sitting, but the fuel doesn't smell bad (but I'm no fuel smelling expert… LOL).

I'll keep everybody advised, but please feel free to chime in anytime.

Regards,

F-18

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again,

My bikes is a 2006… Gen 2.

I took the bike out today for an extended ride… I am pretty sure I have a fuel starvation issue(checked and rechecked and rechecked all the fuel lines seem to be intact and running clear with no obstructions or kinks)

My current hypothesis; faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Can someone kindly tell me what the fuel pressure regulator is located and where I may find a replacement.

As always, if there are any tips or tricks concerning the fuel pressure regulator. please chime in.

F-18

·
Registered
300 Posts
much more likely fuel pump itself. can be replaced with ebay direct fit replacement. pressure regulator secured to fuel pump housing, replacable but hard to find, not a likley culprit. fuel pump housing is large filter itself. suggest flushing/backflushing until u can blow thru easily once dry. same factors that generally cause fuel pump fail also affect injectors. i'm big on professionally cleaning/flowing inj's, seen the results in response/power too many times.if u want that gen 2 to be all it can be, pump replacement, flush housing/ cleaned inj's to completley set fueling right, u will be well pleased with that gen 2. diy about $140 for all. best money spent for street bike from my experience. pro flow technologies, new port richie, fl. will get inj's straight 1-2 day turnaround, about$90 including return shipping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello everyone,

gaz– YOU ARE THE MAN!… THANK YOU FOR THE INVALUABLE HELP!!

I flushed out the fuel pump housing as instructed…Wow!

It is a different machine… Seems like the problem solved (however, I think I made a mistake when I reinstalled the pump will explain infra).

When I put the pump back into the housing. There's a little plastic sleeve that fits over the top of the pump where I think I was supposed to seat this plastic piece, but the O-ring was flush with the housing. So I inserted the pump with the plastic sleeve but did not inserted any further than the O-ring, which was flush with the housing.… Did I make a mistake. Should I have pushed the O-ring further into the housing and then seated the plastic piece?…

New issue:

When I am high into the revs I'm getting an intermittent error code 62(Sub throttle valve actuator) that clears itself after the bike sits for 10 to 15 minutes

I lubricated the valve assembly previously but it doesn't look like that's going to work.

My plan is to purchase at throttle body assembly from eBay… Any suggestions?

I'M BUYING THE BEER thanks to everybody who helped and contributed to my effort!

Regards,

F-18

·
Registered
300 Posts
if ur referencing the plastic sleeve that fits over the fuel pump top outlet into the housing u have it correct. it simply holds the rubber sleeve that fits over the bare outlet in place so cant blow down. that rubber seal is flutted for fuel pressure to expand it to seal and does not need to go any farther in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks gaz,

That really puts my mind at ease.

Changing the throttle bodies this week. So that's one less task, I have to do… LOL

Thank you so much for the information and taking your time to respond.

I DEFINITELY OWE YOU A FEW COLD ONES!!

Best regards,

F-18

1 - 11 of 11 Posts