Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you buy the new BT-003 R/S's be careful with them when they are cold. The rears are slippery as shit before they are heated up on the street. Took a ride in the morning at 53 degrees outside temperature and just about got put on my ass on the first mid speed corner at mid lean angle.

In the colder months, I recommend running a lower tire pressure to help them heat up faster.

They really felt slippery like race slicks cold. Have not experienced a street DOT tire like this one before that was so slippery when cold.

Tires do perform well after heated. Noticed that they have a pretty stiff carcus that is supposed to help with late breaking and exiting corners but also contribute to slick ass tire when cold.

Be careful.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
This is a given with all cold tires and especially DOT race tires.

·
Registered
562 Posts
This is a given with all cold tires and especially DOT race tires.
:+1: I have these same tires as well as 3 of the guys I ride with, nuthin but good reviews! They have slipped a few times within the first few miles but I can say it is a controlled slip. They give really good feedback :eek:ccasion1 These slips are rare though usually grip cold or hot. But when they are hott they perform awesome :helmet:

·
Registered
447 Posts
same thing, nothing bad to say, eveyone says they slip with then are hot on a 1000cc rear, but I have not seen this. I carve away in the mountains and no slip around, snow on the side of the road and they are solid. I am running a little bit hard on the pressure, 31f - 34r, in the summer I run something like, 34f - 38r, becuase its NM and the road is above 100 so it would melt the tire(all pressures cold).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ya i had them slip when cold but def felt controlled

i love these tires

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize that all tires are slick when cold to a certain extent but I have raced on Slicks, DOT's and Rain's and these are by far the most slippery DOT's I have ever ridden when cold.
On the track I am sure they heat up quickly after the first lap, but for the street and the average Joe, they could be a problem.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Which compound are they? I ran a set of 003 and hey were by far the best tire I've used.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are the street version R/S's. I would never run the race compound version on the street. Race compound's are too hard to heat up on the street. Also, Bridgestone recommends tire warmers for the race compound.

Not trying to kill the reputation on the R/S's or anything because they are good, however they seem to be far less forgiving when cold than previous DOT's I have had over the years.

These tires remind me when I raced on a hard compound rear Dunlop slick for the first time at Daytona on my warm up lap in the horshoe that put me in check quickly after I nearly high-sided on the warm up lap.

RoadRacing World tire test on these was very positive for the track as well as tire testing from other sources but some who don't know a lot about tire warm up will definately experience more "holy shit" events on this tire and learn the hard way. I won't run anymore than 30 psi on the rear and 32psi up front in cold winter weather on these.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I haven't run these tires yet.

Warm up times vary as they do with all tires.

I don't normally run my rear tires with that much pressure. Maybe try 25 psi.?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I haven't run these tires yet.

Warm up times vary as they do with all tires.

I don't normally run my rear tires with that much pressure. Maybe try 25 psi.?
On a track day or regular use?? seems low to me imo but I run 33r/31f on these :dontknow:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've been using them and appart from melting like butter on summer sun, they are the best tire I've ever used ! Never felt so confident on the tyre....
Other thing : impossible to ride slow with them !

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
On a track day or regular use?? seems low to me imo but I run 33r/31f on these :dontknow:
If I had trouble getting the rear tire warm, "I" would drop the pressure.
A faster warm up and a better contact patch.

The downside would be faster tire wear. (Not much of a downside if it keeps you on 2 wheels:eek:ccasion1)

Again, I have not run these tires. Just giving a suggestion on what I would do.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I've been using them and appart from melting like butter on summer sun, they are the best tire I've ever used ! Never felt so confident on the tyre.... Other thing : impossible to ride slow with them !
The 003's being a step above (performance wise) the 016's, I bet the are a fantastic street tire.

I'm starting to miss the hot Summer roads already. Even if they do destroy my tires!:wink:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I just rode in the mountians with them on at about 40 outside, and 31f 34r pressure and it held fine enough for my knee to touch. was a little worried at first but it worked ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts