Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing some member(s) with the carbon wheels on the forum...Im wonder how they're holding up too street rididng and if they having any problems with them like install, the finish, mount and balance, wear and tear any thing? Im really think Im gone to get a set of them and just wants some feed back please?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
those rims are tits....... only problem i had was when drag racing a buddy, we both launched way to hard hes on a 14 n he jsut spun the tire, my tire spun, kicked to the right, hooked up and sent me into oh about a 1'o clock wheelie, came smashing down hard enough to gouge the concrete with my oil pan bolt, did a fracture on one of the spokes though :-/

i have heard stories abotu big hp busa's ripping the hubs off them but i think for normal riding you would be safe.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Holy crap man, Garth! That sounds crazy, and glad that didn't happen at higher speed.

I think in most normal riding situations the wheels will be fine. I've seen a few pics floating on the net of one fragging while on a trackday, but it was unclear whether what attributed to the failure. For a street ridden bike, I'd go with forged aluminum. If you're tracking the bike, forged magnesium's weight savings is nice.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
damn it garth, thats nuts!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
hard to say. Only time will. There quite a few bikes at track with carbon wheels. I am considering a set myself. As the advert promises a reduction of 3 secs in lap times.:shady:

·
Registered
420 Posts
hard to say. Only time will. There quite a few bikes at track with carbon wheels. I am considering a set myself. As the advert promises a reduction of 3 secs in lap times.:shady:

don't know about 3 secs, but if you're consistent enough the lower rotating mass and improved turn in (flickability ?) would be more than enough to keep a huge smile on your face. add to that come ceramic/steel hybrid bearings from WWB and you're on your way to MotoGP:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I went to a Motorcycle show a while back & they were Demoing a set of C.F. wheels two guys were bouncing them off of the concrete floor I don't remember the Brand of wheel as they were to expensive for my taste.
Said they were doing this Demo as people get the wrong idea out of C.F. wheels they think if they hit something they will shatter.Was a pretty good demo IMO did it the whole time I was there pretty much non stop wasn't even a nick in the rim as they let you look at them as well.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have had mine now for almost 3 years now and they are still as good as the day I fitted them. I have been over to the Nurburgring twice and toured with them through all sorts of roads and they are great bits of kit . Go for it

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had mine now for almost 3 years now and they are still as good as the day I fitted them. I have been over to the Nurburgring twice and toured with them through all sorts of roads and they are great bits of kit . Go for it
how do balance them or dont they need balanced?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah this is Travis Lutter the winner of Tuff 4 and currently fighting Rich franklin on April 19th.

Travis Lutter
:eek:t:
Cool, I saw the fight, Congratz!!! Good luck with the fight with Rich. I saw you riding the bike on the show before the final fight.

Welcome to the best board around!!!

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
The wheels and bike look awesome and to be honest if Moto Wheels had some in stock for my bike I would be looking for the plastic right now and requesting next day air regardless of the co$t.

I would not put all the "extra" carbon parts over my bike though, if I had the BST wheels, so the wheels could be the STARS **********. Thats just me though. Your bike rocks.

JJ

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
As far as the balancing goes its the same as normal wheels but they use stick on weights , As for the ruts and crap roads , they do just fine and have passed all the tests that are required for them to be put on the road for street use , but everyone is entitled to their own opinion .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts