Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows much about the underslung swing arms fitted to race zx10rs such as bsb and world superbike.
What is the advantages of them and are they longer or more rigid?
Reason being i think they look great and i was contemplating making one for my bike as im an engineer.
Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'v been reeding about that short time ago. These swingarms aren't much stiffer than the stock ones. Don't get me wrong: It doesn't depend if it is underslung or not!

On most streetbikes we don't have them because of the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows much about the underslung swing arms fitted to race zx10rs such as bsb and world superbike.
What is the advantages of them and are they longer or more rigid?
Reason being i think they look great and i was contemplating making one for my bike as im an engineer.
Thanks
If you could get the measurements for a pattern to copy one that would probably answer your questions, i think the polished ally look is what makes em look smart as -ock :smile2:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you could get the measurements for a pattern to copy one that would probably answer your questions, i think the polished ally look is what makes em look smart as -ock :smile2:
I think the alloy looks good but i think its more to do with the shape of the underslung style.
Like motogp bikes.
It totally changes the look of the bike.
Ive never really been that struck on the stock swingarm shape.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Could have something to do with keeping the weight down low as in below the axle!I have often looked at pricing and there around $4500 and up!Webike in Japan has 1 and claim it's a direct swap with all oem running gear(gen4)so I guessed the swing arm length was the same for that one!I would like to no all facts about them to

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can get hold of all alloy. Plus i have access to cnc machines. Lathes and welding.
I just need to know lengths and if anything specific is required

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plus ive just noticed that this swingarm would allow very easy access to replace the shock and linkage compared to standard setup

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Swingarm

Here's the one from Webike Japan I mentioned but on how you would get detailed specs is a million dollar question!I don't think any a/m BSB,WSBK or the Japs would give anyone those numbers!its hard enough just trying to find 1 on the web let alone get a detailed diagram!maybe when JRea and TSykes roll into Phillip Island shortly for the first WSBK race I could put up a post on Facebook offering a ounce of ice to any one willing to lift either bike so we can copy their swingarm could be a better option!just a thought......

Attachments

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
there you go you have the oem specs just engineer yours so the swingarm is the exact measurements but flipped!you have the gear to use quality aluminium not cast and bam!one very trick ZX10R!it could make the bike a pig to ride but wouldn't it look the goods

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there you go you have the oem specs just engineer yours so the swingarm is the exact measurements but flipped!you have the gear to use quality aluminium not cast and bam!one very trick ZX10R!it could make the bike a pig to ride but wouldn't it look the goods
I dont think it will make much noticable difference if i made an upside down version of the gen4 arm.
The main differences are made with length of the arm and position of the link mounting point along with torsional strength.
If i could make it from the same thickness alloy as standard arm then it should be pretty close to standard.
The problem i have with my bike is getting the power down without wheelying.
Ive fitted a longer chain and sat the wheel right back in the arm which has made a slight improvement but because im tall and have more upper body weight than short guys i think i need to go longer still.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
See with that one pictured Webike claim all oem fittings will transfer directly to their a/m arm!so that's telling me the overall length is the same!isnt the gen5 swingarm longer than the gen4?if you look closely at the gen5 arm it does seem longer where the sliders and axle mount!have you checked out the gen4 swingarm mod the guys in the U.K for the quick change axle and rear caliper mount!they actually cut the stock arm and weld their extensions on!they do a really trick looking arm when it's completed!Im guessing it's longer than oem also!Im trying to remember the company's name!it could be Harrison's maybe but not sure

·
Registered
774 Posts
I dont think it will make much noticable difference if i made an upside down version of the gen4 arm.
The main differences are made with length of the arm and position of the link mounting point along with torsional strength.
If i could make it from the same thickness alloy as standard arm then it should be pretty close to standard.
The problem i have with my bike is getting the power down without wheelying.
Ive fitted a longer chain and sat the wheel right back in the arm which has made a slight improvement but because im tall and have more upper body weight than short guys i think i need to go longer still.
you need to remove weight from the rear, BSB subframe remover and battery tray would do the trick, that and a kit ECU with its more advanced TC system would be cheaper than a 4k+ AUD swingarm off webike, but that swingarm looks so yum, iv been thinking about it for ages 4K is a lot for something that would have less affect than other components.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The 2016+ stock swingarm is slightly longer and stiffer than the stock gen4. A much more affordable/easier R&D upgrade that would help answer/address the light front end.

Agree that the front end of the gen4 is very light under WOT.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts