Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm hopefully (if all goes well) picking up an 03 636 for a "project". The deal is smoking on once I'm sure the bike isn't both hot and smoking I am going to have to start fixing it to my standards. Anyway, he painted the stock silver frame black, and it looks as if it was done cheaply. Is there a way to pull off the brushed aluminum look that's popular on all the race bikes without breaking the entire thing down?

Thanks.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
If you want it done right, breaking down the bike would be the way to go! That is if you want to brush out every inch of the frame,subframe, swing arm...I would say rip her apart and start working the magic!

But just my opinion...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no problem getting all the bodywork/tank off the bike to do it that way... pulling the motor is scary though haha. I think he painted the frame with the bike together, so hopefully that means most all the parts that are black could be reached with the bike half together. Any unpainted part would be factory silver and still not clash. I guess we will see when I see the bike.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And btw I did some research... it looks like I just need to break through the paint and then go to town with a scothbrite pad. Manual labor here I come...

·
5,932 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a newb with a can of paint tried fixing his bike up to only make it look even worse :lol:...I see it from time to time :headshake

Should be easy enough though to brush out....

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, I know all those tricks to look out for. I'm mostly afraid of there being bondo under the paint somewhere. The guy is anxious to move it and the price is ridiculous... I will go over the bike with a fine tooth comb so I don't get screwed (hopefully)

·
5,932 Posts
OH HELL...I'd be putting boot to a$$ if I found something like "bondo" on my frame or swing arm...

I could see where a show bike might have shit filled to make it appear smoother but if its not a show bike hell no...

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
What Seabiscuit said:lol:
all in good fun man lol
but really, if you wanna do it good and right, be best to tear it down

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OH HELL...I'd be putting boot to a$$ if I found something like "bondo" on my frame or swing arm...
I've seen pics of dented frames filled with bondo. Definitely not a fun time...

Luckily I already have one 636 so I know what I'm looking at more or less :)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I won't be buying it unless I'm sure...

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
what are you using to strip it? I applied some bix tuff job remover to my swingarm this weekend and i don't think it likes the cold air, a bit of paint came off here and there but not like it should be.

^^^Your gay haha...:spit: :wink:
:crackup:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what are you using to strip it? I applied some bix tuff job remover to my swingarm this weekend and i don't think it likes the cold air, a bit of paint came off here and there but not like it should be.

:crackup:
Haven't thought that far into it... have you tried aircraft stripper? That stuff could turn Wesley Snipes white.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Haven't thought that far into it... have you tried aircraft stripper? That stuff could turn Wesley Snipes white.
It pretty much is aircraft stripper, it said do it in temps 55-80s. Did it in like58 but not so great results. Was gonna have someone blast it but don't wanna remove bearings and replace afterwards.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe you didn't allow it to set long enough? My experience with aircraft stripper was on a valve cover, which typically has a pretty tough finish, and it would literally wipe off with a paper towel after it set for 5-10 minutes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts