Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The top half on the end of my carbon fiber Graves shorty exhaust has a bronze color to it. Is this ok? Without going deeper and looking at plugs, this means my A/F is good right? Not too rich, not too lean?

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
683 Posts
The top half on the end of my carbon fiber Graves shorty exhaust has a bronze color to it. Is this ok? Without going deeper and looking at plugs, this means my A/F is good right? Not too rich, not too lean?
By shorty do you mean low-mount and are you referring to the actual external carbon canister or the steel inner baffle?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By shorty do you mean low-mount and are you referring to the actual external carbon canister or the steel inner baffle?
low mount yes, and the actual external carbon canister. The discoloration is on the top half above the steel inner baffle. I don't see any discoloration of the steel inner baffle (granted I stuff a rag in there after the bike cools off).

I tried cleaning it using a spray cleaner/polish and it didn't do anything.

·
Registered
683 Posts
low mount yes, and the actual external carbon canister. The discoloration is on the top half above the steel inner baffle. I don't see any discoloration of the steel inner baffle (granted I stuff a rag in there after the bike cools off).

I tried cleaning it using a spray cleaner/polish and it didn't do anything.
Ahh okay. It sounds like your muffler is just oxidizing & just needs to be detailed. Over time the UV's destroy the clear coat and the exhaust gas heat deteriorates the carbon's resin. This leads to that brown hazy look. I've had a 2Bros muffler clear coat completely deteriorate to the point I could feel the actual carbon fiber!

All you gotta do is remove the muffler and hit it with an actual polishing compound (the thick stuff not the spray). It also sounds like your best best is going to be to invest in a cheap polishing wheel to really penetrate the surface too. You can probably pick a cheap one up for $20. Otherwise you can buff by hand with a polishing-pad until your hand hurts. Since the carbon has a clear coat you can hit it with any off-the-shelf polishing compound (I've always had good luck with Mequiar's brand stuff). This one works to eliminate hazing which might be more relative to this application:
Amazon.com: Meguiar's G18116 Clear Coat Safe Polishing Compound - 16 oz.: Automotive

You can pretty much buy that anywhere though.. Walmart, Advanced Auto, etc. Probably best to just hit the whole can too. Then give it a good wax and you should be golden. I wax my muffler every other week or so when I clean my bike and I haven't had any issues like this so hopefully a good buff helps! Do some before/after shots. :wave:

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts