Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, went to check the shim sizes and finish up the valve adjustment we've been working on the last few days.. I had one intake valve that was on the tight side (still in spec though) so I figured I'd re-shim it and put it back to stock spec.

Well, come to find all but one of the valve spring retainers on the intake valves are busted.

I don't understand what could have caused this.

Luckily, it didn't drop any valves but now I've got a bunch of work to do.

Does anyone know if you can pull the retainers off of the valves without removing the head?

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Mother of god. How the fck does that happen? :eyecrazy: :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea :(

In one way, i'm glad i found it before it dropped a valve, but WTF caused it?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't know what causes it (faulty design?) but I've read about a few guys discovering it. It really makes the Carpenter keepers look attractive.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Does anyone know if you can pull the retainers off of the valves without removing the head?

Yes. Compress the cylinder with air. Make sure to drop the oil pan , clean the pick up, and flush the motor . Need to get the pieces of retainer out.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Any tricks to removing the retainers after compressing the cylinders with air?

Also, any ideas why only the intake valve retainers would be broken? None of the exhaust valve retainers were affected.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Another trick I used on other engines while replacing valve stem seals is to push a couple feet of clothesline through the spark plug hole, then turn the crank shaft until the piston pushes up the clothesline against the valve face.

Less complicated if you don't have shop air.

Reactions: MagicMavis

·
Registered
357 Posts
Any tricks to removing the retainers after compressing the cylinders with air?

Also, any ideas why only the intake valve retainers would be broken? None of the exhaust valve retainers were affected.
Get a valve spring compressor or do it the old school way. Get a deep socket and put a magnet in it. If the head was off the bike you put the socket with extension over the retainer and TAP with a hammer. When the spring compresses, the magnet will pull the keeper out and free up the retainer. Takes a little practice to figure out how much to Tap the socket but it works like a charm and a lot faster than a compressor. Since your using compressed air i would put some ass behind it and just push down so you don't have problems with the valve dropping in the cylinder. If it does its not a big deal . Just pull it back up with some needle nose. Put a rag over the oil passages(and spark plug holes ) so you don't drop a keeper(or pieces of retainer) down in the motor. Trust me, that sux. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any ideas why only the intake valve retainers would be broken? None of the exhaust valve retainers were affected.

Interestingly, ALL of the intake (broken) valve clearances were in spec...

·
Registered
357 Posts
My GUESS would be the intake came has more lift than the exhaust so it has more stress on it. But its only a guess.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
that sucks man!......I am gonna be checking mine here in a few days!.......I am thinking of just biting the bullet and ordering the Carpenter Ti retainers and replacing them regardless,........

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Buy springs too. I don't know what is causing this, but valve float near redline puts a lot of stress on the retainer. JMHO.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I have worked on 4 zx10rs that have had broken retainers, I think its just a selet batch of retainers that go, I've seen another one from another forum member on here as well with broken ones..

Carpenter's ti retainers are $220 and their spring and ti retainers are $380

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
I have worked on 4 zx10rs that have had broken retainers, I think its just a selet batch of retainers that go, I've seen another one from another forum member on here as well with broken ones..

Carpenter's ti retainers are $220 and their spring and ti retainers are $380
Prob gonna order both Monday!.....rather be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is that price for all 16 retainers and springs?

Would it be a dumb move to just put new OEM retainers and springs in?

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Are they hard to put in without removing the head? I read about the air pressure trick, but will the everyday mechanic like myself (not Garth or some other motor God) be able to do it without too much trouble?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I would honestly just pull the head and get a valve spring compressor.... they are $43 bucks on ebay shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...Z380143904754QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

spend an extra 20 bucks and buy the .45mm head gasket from kawi while your in there.

for the most part the retainer pieces all stay in the bucket but if I Were you I would completely disassemble the head clean it in and out and reinstall everything.

your just ogint o be fighting to get the retainers and collet's in place inside the frame that way.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I would honestly just pull the head and get a valve spring compressor.... they are $43 bucks on ebay shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Valve-spring-compressor-car-motorcycle-T08_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem588257a7f2QQitemZ380143904754QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

spend an extra 20 bucks and buy the .45mm head gasket from kawi while your in there.

for the most part the retainer pieces all stay in the bucket but if I Were you I would completely disassemble the head clean it in and out and reinstall everything.

your just ogint o be fighting to get the retainers and collet's in place inside the frame that way.
Thanks Garth. Mine aren't broken (I don't think) but from what I've seen it doesn't take much. Just wanted to be proactive rather than reactive. Do you recommend replacing everything for a mostly commuter bike?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Im my ownpersonal opinion, from what I've seen if you dont have any broken retainers I would stay with the set you have, I think it might have been a batch sorta thing with kawi, I have seen this in bikes rancing from years 04-07's so it could be any thing but I think maybe they just had a batch here or there that was weak.

I would check ytour valve clearances and inspect the retainers while your at it and if you have something broken THEN I would go and upgrade then.

just my opinion though you can go ahead and buy the ti retainers if you wanted.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts