Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 with 38k miles.it started knocking as i came off a stop sign.so i immediately shut it off and towed it home.
After teardown i found a broken valve guide dropped into the cylinder. It left a couple knicks in the piston and cylinder head. Cylinder walls looked good.
i started gathering all the parts for repair.
I Got a cylinder head from ebay off an 07.i figured i didnt want any retainers to break so i bought titanium springs and retainers.All new gaskets, i got a used piston off ebay, oil, coolant,filters,etc.
1)since it will be a stock bike should i have just kept the retainers and springs stock?
2) i disassembled the head while still in the bike. Whats the easiest way to swap the #1 piston out?can i just tip the bike on its side and remove the oil pan?lol
3)did i mess up by cleaning the carbon off the head of the valve with a roloc grinding disc?i only did a few before i realized.
4)if grinding the valve tops is bad.(probably a stupid idea)I have valves from my original head that i could swap out.
should i lap or grind them?
whats the best procedure to do this?
Or should i just say screw it and take it to a head shop?
Sorry for the stupid questions,
I just want to get back on 2 wheels asap.
Its been 2 years. Lol.
Thanks in advance for your advice

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
If the retainers were the originals then yes upgrade, if your cams are stock then no need to change springs but like for like isn't a problem. Post up pictures of the retainers so we can see you have the right ones.
Bad news, you have to split the engine case to change a piston so the motor has to come out.
If you have attacked the face of the valve then yes its now fucked!
If you lap the valve seats then use those fucked valves, do not use the good valves you are going to use, but it is better to take the head for a professional clean "pressure test" and valve seat cut. But that costs money, a good clean, measure up and lapping the valves "should" be enough for a stock motor.
Splitting the engine brings in a whole host of extra costs and potential pit falls!

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,080 Posts
I always lap the valve seats with the valves I plan to use, the reason for this is I want the seats to actually match the valve I am installing in that spot. You can clean the valve face as long as you stick to the surface. Ie DO NOT REMOVE METAL...that is not ok. The valves go through so many heat cycles every time the bike is run that any heat treating or tempering is null after the first run. The issue is if you remove or gouge the valve face you risk although not much, valve failure via warping, if that happens the valve can stick, get slammed into the seat and or punch a hole through your piston cause after getting hit it can unseat the keepers and then suck the valve. That shit is no fun, take my word for it. Have first hand experience with it. I'm not sure how the fuck u had a guide break and drop in without dropping a valve or popping the retainer and or keepers off up in the head. Ape makes killer guides. Never knew they made titanium valve springs for that bike. Couldn't find em for my 05. Did find ti retainers. Use those. And use the new springs. Springs wear out. If the springs are stronger or heavier it will leach some power and unless u do the cams you won't get that power back but at least they will last another 50+k miles. The valve stems absolutely do not sand or clean. Bad idea. Your head you could have sanded as long as it wasn't damaged in a position where it seals against the case and yeah you need to drop the engine, split the case etc to do the piston swap. Also, might as well get a whole set of pistons if you are gonna change a single piston. I had je, wish I had gone with wosner just cause with je there was no way to purchase just one when I sucked a valve so instead of dumping another 700 plus I ditched the bike. Any other maker and I could have purchased 1 replacement for under 200 and still had that bike. Anyhow, good luck but I would suggest getting a new bike unless u have tons of time and money and don't need any assurance that after spending all the money and time that the thing will run as well or for very long etc...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts