Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I promised some last year I will post pics when I finally fixed those damm rear tail light tabs that break off from the rear fender on 04/05 models…….yeah I procrastinated as it’s spring already as I neglected it in the winter but it’s done now and is back to normal. :thumbsup:

So what I did is use this company out of Reno that sells cheap plastic repair kits. I bought one of their kits at one of the AMA races last year in vendor section.

Ok, so I had 2 tabs/mounts break. Here are the pics after the fix:

Edit: forgot to add this pic I believe El D made on another How To but these are the 3 tabs in question and have been breaking on some 10s:

Now my rear is tight…no smart comments please :mrgreen:….but back on subject it’s just like new!!!! I know it looks like crap but that is one area you will never see unless you are replacing the rear light or the tabs break.

Now, how strong is it? The company claims it is better than the original plastic connection or stronger. I have to say I believe them and by no means am promoting them as I have no connection with them whatsoever but merely just giving members a cheap option to repair for $12 other than replacing the whole rear. :badteeth:

One of the main reasons I believe it is stronger than normal as I got a good demonstration at the races when the company broke pieces and showed me the results. I was still skeptical but bought it anyway.

The other reason is that same day I was fixing the rear tabs a Mini Blind curtain came off it’s mount on a window in my house and fell to the ground. It broke where the pull string mechanism is located(high stress area) and since I had this stuff out I used it to repair. It held up and I didn’t think it could with all that weight and stress that is required to pull the mini blinds up when you pull on the rope.

Here is where you can get what I bought and maybe there is better stuff out there. :dontknow: One other thing there is no real “How To” as far as using the product as it comes with a CD with clear instructions.

www.plastex.net and comes in white,black or clear color.:thumbsup:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
yep ya got a tight rear :crackup: for real that plastex works good it will break on either side of the repair but not at the plastexed area great write up Blue D worthy of some rep:wink:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
tight rear??? been exercising???
cool fix tho...
no broke tabs yet , but since i do fiberglass all the time this is what i'd do...
whats the stuff called???plastex??
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
i've had the tab area break on on the black trim thats to the inside of your leg under the seat, i've used super duper glue and it seems to hold up so far. i'll keep this in mind though if my other tabs break! good write up!

·
Still here
9,059 Posts

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
can you guys post some more pics cuz the current ones arnt available anymore?

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
I have a barely used rear light with all tabs intact, 25 bucks shipped. No need for the reapir job.:werd:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can you guys post some more pics cuz the current ones arnt available anymore?
I know guy...I switched ISP providers months ago and now all my past links are not available. I will host any pics to those that really need to see my old stuff. but didn't want to host them all as there are to many to sort out..Sorry

bluedevil

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
BD doesnt sleep, he waits.

its cool i got some super crazy putty glue shit that did the trick

·
Registered
9 Posts
I spent about an hour fixing my tabs by using contact cement and a thin flexible plastic base for the mounting tabs on the rear cowl. It's held up pretty darn well, and I expect this to be a permanent fix. Take a look...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just got a CA integrated tail light for my 04 and found that all three of the tabs in my tail section were busted. The OEM tail light was just held in there by the velcro and snug fit alone. (Note that we're talking about the tabs on the body pieces, not the tail light unit. The light's tabs are solid.)

First of all, those tabs are a joke. I'll bet just about everyone breaks them eventually. Secondly, they're a bit tricky to get back into place, especially if you're using something like epoxy. I taped them in place with little strips of blue painters tape and then globbed the epoxy all around the breaks. Then after the epoxy set up a little but was still a bit flexible, I stuck the light in place and snugged downt he bolts. I did this to ensure the tabs were at the right angle. Then I let the tail section sit overnight before putting it back on the bike.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I know guy...I switched ISP providers months ago and now all my past links are not available. I will host any pics to those that really need to see my old stuff. but didn't want to host them all as there are to many to sort out..Sorry

bluedevil
I could use those pics if you still have them....:mrgreen:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Attachments

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
has anyone here ever used abs cement to fix cracked/broken plastics? and where can i find some abs cement.. homodepot, lowes, etc?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
has anyone here ever used abs cement to fix cracked/broken plastics? and where can i find some abs cement.. homodepot, lowes, etc?
Yep, I used ABS cement before to glue a broken tab back on. Worked great. You can also sand it once its dry. I got mine from Home Depot. Its in a blue can made by Oatey. Its BLACK ABS cement. Make sure you DO NOT grab the purple and gray cans for PVC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts