Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sprint is the only filter I've ever noticed actual top end gain, and I've tried almost everything on the market
I don't doubt the performance of the Sprint filters, but in this case for whatever reason a piece has broken off and it cannot of gone anywhere else but down the inlets, so iv realistically gotta pull the head to check the valves and seats, i can't say the bike is running particularly differently and i don't know when it broke off. But it has broken off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How brittle is the rest of the plastic? Seems like a big chunk and like someone else mentioned, maybe down in lower airbox or airduct funnel? I would think piece that large you would notice a change in throttle response or harsh plastic burning smell?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many times have you cleaned it? Is it possible you broke it when it was out of the bike and didn’t notice it when reinstalling? Thats a tough situation there, good luck.
I wish that was the case but sadly no.....:crackup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
there is no way that the air pressure will break it … maybe someone grabbed from the corner to clean by blowing air.

I don't trust those filters ... several testimonials that lets in a lot of dirt

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How brittle is the rest of the plastic? Seems like a big chunk and like someone else mentioned, maybe down in lower airbox or airduct funnel? I would think piece that large you would notice a change in throttle response or harsh plastic burning smell?
It does feel like a cheaper harder plastic but i am not sure weather that is the problem, its possible its just a a one off manufacturing flaw.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there is no way that the air pressure will break it … maybe someone grabbed from the corner to clean by blowing air.

I don't trust those filters ... several testimonials that lets in a lot of dirt
im the only one who works on my bike its done around 10,000 with this filter i normally clean the filter every 2500-3000 it was intact last time i fitted it no doubt that what ever happened happened while it was fitted, its a road bike and doesn't get pushed to limits very often.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This looks like a filter that is not for your bike. Looks like someone ground it to make it fit and did a poor job of it.
Its a filter for the bike i fitted it new and no one else works on my bikes. Its not had reason to be modded whatever happened happened in the bike once fitted.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No reason to pull the head just pull the throttle bodies off if you wanna go digging, I've seen plastic like that stuck in a jeep intake port for a long time. Eventually held the valve open and had no compression. Took piece out and ran fine.
I disagree, even though it doesn't appear to be running indifferently plastic has got into the engine it may well be not fowling a valve to seat, but the break in the plastic filter is new and i want to clean the pistons valves and seats of anything that could cause hot spots, pre detonation or anything that could cause premature wear or tear, its a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do have a probe which I had used, there far from perfect especially when inspecting valve seats. I got a few hours this evening number 4 has build up on ex valve seats. I was expecting it to be number3 which is directly behind the broken part of filter but it appears to have gone down 4 (possibly because it's a much lower stack. I will have time tomorrow to check the valve run out, and hopefully just re-fresh the head and all will be good.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts