Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I broke my master link tonight. I was just waiting til it happened because after ever ride I have to tighten the chain. I am running a 520 and I guess with all the ponies I keep strecthing it:dontknow:

·
Registered
657 Posts
yeah, i'm assuming you had the clip style master?? with all the risks of running a 520 to begin with on a bike as powerful as the 10, no way i'd add to that by staying with a clip style.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I am running the DID ERV3 and I have over 3k miles on it and I have yet to adjust it. I have the rivet type master link, though.....Which chain did you get and is it rivet or clip style?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I am running the DID ERV3 and I have over 3k miles on it and I have yet to adjust it. I have the rivet type master link, though.....Which chain did you get and is it rivet or clip style?
Wow! I could never go 3000 miles without a chain adjustment and have it even close to spec.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you are strecthing it every ride then there is a very good chance that you are tightening it way to much. You need a good bit of slack, inch and a half. I used to tighten mine too much and it streched alot. :idea:

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Yeah I broke my master link tonight. I was just waiting til it happened because after ever ride I have to tighten the chain. I am running a 520 and I guess with all the ponies I keep strecthing it:dontknow:
:headshake What is it that everyone thinks they gain by using these chains? A few pounds of weight versus a chain that can snap causing seriuos damage to you and your machine? 520 conversions are a gimmick, not intended for longterm use on a high HP bike.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
:headshake What is it that everyone thinks they gain by using these chains? A few pounds of weight versus a chain that can snap causing seriuos damage to you and your machine? 520 conversions are a gimmick, not intended for longterm use on a high HP bike.:rolleyes:
It is all according to what chain you get some of the 520 chains are much stronger than the 530 chains of just a couple of years ago and a quality 520 is equal to or stronger than the stock 525 that comes on the 10.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
It is all according to what chain you get some of the 520 chains are much stronger than the 530 chains of just a couple of years ago and a quality 520 is equal to or stronger than the stock 525 that comes on the 10.
I understand your point, but I have yet to hear of any stock chains letting go and at least 2 accounts of 520 chains snapping. Why not use a "super strong", as you imply, 525? I seriously doubt chain technology has eveolved that much in a couple years.IMHO

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
chain stretch or misnomer

I just like many here and everywhere always thought chains stretched however nothing could be further from the truth.
I'm unsure of all the specifics but in summation a chain 'wears' itself to the extent it requires an adjustment/s as well as the internal assembled lube makes its way out over time therefore giving us the impression it stretches but in reality it doesn't.
The wear process begins immediately with the mating of the chains rollers and sprockets and as miles are logged the fitment is no longer optimum as they were when new and obviously it takes hundreds to thousands of miles for this stretched phenomenon to really show itself.

By no means do i have all the answers so please don't expect me to answer any mechanical engineering POV or the like cuz i's ain't that edumacated but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express lastnight.

BD

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol

I just like many here and everywhere always thought chains stretched however nothing could be further from the truth.
I'm unsure of all the specifics but in summation a chain 'wears' itself to the extent it requires an adjustment/s as well as the internal assembled lube makes its way out over time therefore giving us the impression it stretches but in reality it doesn't.
The wear process begins immediately with the mating of the chains rollers and sprockets and as miles are logged the fitment is no longer optimum as they were when new and obviously it takes hundreds to thousands of miles for this stretched phenomenon to really show itself.

By no means do i have all the answers so please don't expect me to answer any mechanical engineering POV or the like cuz i's ain't that edumacated but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express lastnight.

BD
:crackup:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I lied, I am running the EK 520mvxz Premium Quadra X Ring Motorcycle Chain, sorry.
that is a quality 520 chain so given the fact the mstr link broke it begs the question who installed it and how was it installed?? was a chain tool used or not, how were the pins peened?? too little or not enough all have the potential for a failed install.

and stop laughin @ my country a**

BD

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was not laughing at you

:lol: :lol:
that is a quality 520 chain so given the fact the mstr link broke it begs the question who installed it and how was it installed?? was a chain tool used or not, how were the pins peened?? too little or not enough all have the potential for a failed install.

and stop laughin @ my country a**

BD

I thouht it was funny what you said about the Holiday express...Hey Im country too.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also the chain came with the clip style master link and I never changed it, so kinda my falt and kinda not. I check my chain b-4 and after I ride so I really do not know what happened. I just started going to the drag strip a few weeks ago so I think from all the pressure on it, it just snapped. Also when it did snapped I had my bike topped out at 189 mph for about 2-3 miles and when I let out of it I felt a bump at my foot, then I knew what happened when I started to down shift.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
I always use stock chains. Learned my lesson back in the early 80's. The stock chain is endless "no master link whatsoever" so no issues there. So what if it takes a few hours to remove and re-install the swingarm, I like working on my bike anyway so thats not an issue. Makes for a good time to clean up and inspect everything as well. So what if it co$t$ a few dollars more?

Never any worries for me, so well worth the cost and the peace of mind.

JJ

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Also the chain came with the clip style master link and I never changed it, so kinda my falt and kinda not. I check my chain b-4 and after I ride so I really do not know what happened. I just started going to the drag strip a few weeks ago so I think from all the pressure on it, it just snapped. Also when it did snapped I had my bike topped out at 189 mph for about 2-3 miles and when I let out of it I felt a bump at my foot, then I knew what happened when I started to down shift.
ahhhhh so a clip style link explains why the failure or atleast gives us something to point a finger at. :badteeth: Even if installed properly a clip style link isn't near the quality of a rivet type that is for all intense and purposes as good as an endless OEM chain therefore the least time consuming labor wise and less costly.

BD

1 - 20 of 39 Posts