Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I am not sure if this topic was previously discussed, but I really need your help here.
I have 05 Kawi ZX10R that hasn't not been started for 6 years. The thing is that it was left with gasoline in its tank! Now, I am determined to bring this baby back to life. I've been told that I will face a lot of problems with fuel line/fuel pump/injectors. Any advice on how to deal with this situation will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is there rust in the tank? If not drain it fill the tank with fresh gas and a bottle of seafoam. Change the oil see what it looks like and change the antifreeze. Then give her a go. If there rust in the tank then you are gonna have some fun.........gotta pull the whole fuel system apart and clean he tank

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Was it stored indoors? Was it under a cover? Be careful with starting it. Make sure nothing is seized, rusted, that seals and hoses are good enough, that there is no dust accumulated where it shouldn't be, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there rust in the tank? If not drain it fill the tank with fresh gas and a bottle of seafoam. Change the oil see what it looks like and change the antifreeze. Then give her a go. If there rust in the tank then you are gonna have some fun.........gotta pull the whole fuel system apart and clean he tank
Thank you for your response!
I'm not sure if there is rust in the tank. Will get an idea when I get back home tonight.
What ratio gas/seafoam is the best for the purpose?
Do you think aged fuel will screw up the fuel pump? (even if I drain the old stuff completely and replace it with fresh gas)
Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was it stored indoors? Was it under a cover? Be careful with starting it. Make sure nothing is seized, rusted, that seals and hoses are good enough, that there is no dust accumulated where it shouldn't be, etc.
It was outside, covered. If there is rust in the tank, what is the best way to clean it?
Thank you!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Most the time injectors will be stuck after a bike sits a few years, you can get away with touching a positive wire from the battery along with a ground to each post in the injector to free it, you will hear it click if you are successful,

if the tank is rusty, empty it, put the fuel pump back in it, goto home depot and pick up a 2inch test plug $5, goto wal mart get your self like 6-7 gallons on vinegar ($2pc) and a pack of 2400 count daisy zinc plated BB"s (wal-mart), fill the tank with vinegar and let sit over night

after 24+ hours empty it again, spray it out with a high pressure hose nozzle or pressure washer, re fill the tank about half way with vinegar, pour in half the bb's and shake violently every couple hours, empty, repeat... untill most the shit is out of the tank.

the test plug is a 4pc PVC pipe test plug, ill take pictures of it for you if you plan to go this route.

i received a tank that was sitting for a few years on a bike that sat out side, it looked trashed inside.. and this worked to get it cleaned out and was the cheapest route.

·
2,156 Posts
It was outside, covered. If there is rust in the tank, what is the best way to clean it?
Thank you!
The problem with storing outdoors is that temperature changes can cause condensation on some parts, and that could lead to rust.

The rust in the tank should only be on the parts that were not covered by the gasoline. Drain all gas, remove the fuel pump and you should have some access to the interior of the tank. If there is rust, you could use some rust dissolver to get rid of it (naval jelly or something like that). I don't think that should be too hard.

Remove the throttle bodies and flush the fuel lines in it. Take a look in the intake ports to see if there is any dust gathered there.

The main thing to make sure of is that there is nothing that could cause damage inside of a running engine.

Replace the spark plugs, check all electrical connectors.

Before cranking the engine, try to spray some fogging oil into the cylinders (through the spark plug holes or the intake ports).

The starter will try to turn the engine over at a high speed---I would try to slowly crank it by hand first (via the hex-head on the timing wheel).

Check if the clutch is seized.

What you do exactly will depend on what condition the bike is. Use your judgment. I know how exciting it may be to get a bike back to life, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
469 Posts
El Zilcho said:
The rust in the tank should only be on the parts that were not covered by the gasoline.
Gas will become a sludge after a few years, so the entire tank will be rusted and where the gas sludge is will be the hardest part to clean

El Zilcho said:
Check if the clutch is seized.
How would the clutch seize?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most the time injectors will be stuck after a bike sits a few years, you can get away with touching a positive wire from the battery along with a ground to each post in the injector to free it, you will hear it click if you are successful,

if the tank is rusty, empty it, put the fuel pump back in it, goto home depot and pick up a 2inch test plug $5, goto wal mart get your self like 6-7 gallons on vinegar ($2pc) and a pack of 2400 count daisy zinc plated BB"s (wal-mart), fill the tank with vinegar and let sit over night

after 24+ hours empty it again, spray it out with a high pressure hose nozzle or pressure washer, re fill the tank about half way with vinegar, pour in half the bb's and shake violently every couple hours, empty, repeat... untill most the shit is out of the tank.

the test plug is a 4pc PVC pipe test plug, ill take pictures of it for you if you plan to go this route.

i received a tank that was sitting for a few years on a bike that sat out side, it looked trashed inside.. and this worked to get it cleaned out and was the cheapest route.
Thank you so much for the advice!
I will try to do just that. I am not familiar with the test plug. Can you please take a picture of it? Do you think the fuel pump is ruined?

·
2,156 Posts
I am sorry, I didn't know where to post this question. Maybe the Admin can move this thread to the appropriate location.
No big deal, I was just surprised. This is a very much bike-relevant question, and the Out House is for off-topic threads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thank you for the advice! I will do just that. Can you please take a couple of pictures of the test plug? I am not sure what it looks like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Trying to post my reply for the third time! I don't know what's happening...:dontknow:

Can you please send me a couple of pictures of that test plug?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most the time injectors will be stuck after a bike sits a few years, you can get away with touching a positive wire from the battery along with a ground to each post in the injector to free it, you will hear it click if you are successful
I am not sure I can do that prperly... Is there any other way to do that?

I am not sure what it looks like. Do you have a couple of pictures?

P.S. Trying to reply for the fourth time. For some reason can't see my previous replies to this post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's funny is that I can not even open the gas cap! I've been lubricating it and key fucking the lock hole for like half hour :bash: with ZERO luck. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Spray wd40 into lock hole and tap on the key with a wrench not hard just kinda fast and try pushing down on the cap when you try to turn the key after wd40 and taping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe i got it at home depot, it fits just right on these kawi tanks. when i get my race tank back from the painter this week ill take video how to use it..
Thanks a lot!

I am still trying to open the gas cap. Looks like I will have to drill this freaking lock out. I've tried any possible way to get it open. Nothing worked.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts