Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Gen 5 and changing the bulb is one of my projects this winter. I do not want to upgrade to an HID set up because my friend told me that once a dust got onto the headlight lens the dust will be very noticeable.

So do you guys know a bright headlight bulb out there? White color if possible

Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the Gen 5 and changing the bulb is one of my projects this winter. I do not want to upgrade to an HID set up because my friend told me that once a dust got onto the headlight lens the dust will be very noticeable.

Thanks!
few options: Philips Extreme Vision or Osram Nightbreakers/Nightracers as stock replacement bulbs are good. Much better throw than stock

You can also consider putting tiny auxillary LEDs on the bike which you can switch on whenever needed. Few from Denalli are tiny AF and are hardly visible when hidden around the fairing. You get loads of cheapass Chinese ones too. A 20W on each side should give you the help you looking for

·
Registered
526 Posts

Thanks!
I don't understand your or your friend's train of thought. What does this even mean?
"I do not want to upgrade to an HID set up because my friend told me that once a dust got onto the headlight lens the dust will be very noticeable. "

1. What dust?
2. How is it getting in?
3. If you have dust where you park your bike it will be there anyway.
4. Are you saying that HID causes dust?

I'm not selling you HID, just trying to understand this nonsense.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,732 Posts
I don't understand your or your friend's train of thought. What does this even mean?
"I do not want to upgrade to an HID set up because my friend told me that once a dust got onto the headlight lens the dust will be very noticeable. "

1. What dust?
2. How is it getting in?
3. If you have dust where you park your bike it will be there anyway.
4. Are you saying that HID causes dust?

I'm not selling you HID, just trying to understand this nonsense.
I'm with this guy ^^^^. You don't want to upgrade to HID because of....dust? :screwy: If you're worried about dust, don't ever open up the bulb sockets and just leave them the way they are.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I put some H7 ultra white slyvanias in my Gen 5. Got them from amazon for super cheap. Could have gone more blue or what not, but I just wanted to see better. I don't really care about the look as much.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have ran HID's in my zx6r for 7 years with no "dust" issues and have had hid's in my zx10r for a year now. I'll be picking up my zx14r up in a few weeks and the first mod ill be doing is hid's. I really don't understand what your friend is talking about.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes, those are the ones i have. Like i said before, they are not the bluest and coolest looking bulbs. But from my research they should last the longest, increase night time vision, and make the color of the lights a bit more white compared to oem. If you want more blue, i have read good things about phillips diamond vision. I wouldn't get the sylvania zxe, i read those will burn out quickly. Also PIAA Xtreme White Plus seem to be a good bulb as well. But for the money and performance, it is hard to beat the Silverstar Ultra.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2021 ZX10R Street & 2016 ZX10R KRT Race build
3,748 Posts
I think his friends problem is that with the HID kit you have to drill out the back of the OEM light cover. If you do not ask for a Grommet (rubber boot/cover) then dust can work its way in the light through the air vents.

At one point allot of kits came with rubber boots in case you needed them, now days they are options you have to ask the seller to send.
ive had HID kits on every gen of zx10R since 2006...no issues at all.

but this is what the grommet looks like and I bet his friends kit did not come with it.

Reactions: JepoyDaNinja

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think his friends problem is that with the HID kit you have to drill out the back of the OEM light cover. If you do not ask for a Grommet (rubber boot/cover) then dust can work its way in the light through the air vents.

At one point allot of kits came with rubber boots in case you needed them, now days they are options you have to ask the seller to send.
ive had HID kits on every gen of zx10R since 2006...no issues at all.

but this is what the grommet looks like and I bet his friends kit did not come with it.

This grommet is not even necessary if you're willing to do the work and your hands are attached to the correct place.

1. Carefully take off the connectors from hid bulb.
2. Cut off grommet and throw away
3. Snake bulb wires through same location your headlight OEM wires go through. (Bit of pain but duable)
4. Snake power wire through same home as bulbs to connect from (OEM power to bulb) to new ballast.
5. Use double sided tape to hold ballasts in lower side fairing
5. Connect all remaining wires.

BTW, even if you drill and do all the work off the bike, properly, there's no dust. It's the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard in my life.

Even blinker fluid is more real than this dust he speaks of.

Done

1 - 19 of 19 Posts