Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen them on the new 2016 zx10r's and my buddy that owns one talked highly of it. Any other opinions on the new RS10 ? I run Q3's at the moment.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had the RS10's on my 2015 R1 OEM. And now they are OEM on my 2016 ZX10r. They also come on the $154,000 Honda and the Ninja H2.

They are similar to q3s, insofar as they are both track day tires that are DOT legal. The RS10's are an extremely sticky tire. They warm up fast and keep good heat in them. However, they are terrible for commuting. I would get around 2000 miles on the rear and 4000 miles on the front on the 2015 R1. I would imagine I will get the same or less on the heavier zx10r. If you want a tire that is all about stickiness and cares little about mileage, the RS10 is perfect. Most people get more miles out of a Q3 from what I have seen. The Super Corsa, RS10, Q3, Metzler Racetech, Michelin Power cup evo, etc are all in the same class of tire. A track tires that is DOT legal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love mine too. I bought the bike in January and 40 degrees outside. I can't sit and look at a new toy, so I rode it everyday. The tire never slipped once. I don't care about mileage, give me grip!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can say I'm very curious to try the RS10s. I'm a big fan of the Supercorsas and Q3s. One of the biggest draws for me on the Q3 is their wet weather ability. I'm about to order a set and with Dunlops rebate I can have a set of Q3s for under $250.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
So what your saying is the Q3's are indeed good in the wet?

I can say I'm very curious to try the RS10s. I'm a big fan of the Supercorsas and Q3s. One of the biggest draws for me on the Q3 is their wet weather ability. I'm about to order a set and with Dunlops rebate I can have a set of Q3s for under $250.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
So far I only took 2 rides on those Rs10's that came stock on my new H2. Only put about 35miles on them. They seem ok, but I don't have 100% confidence in them yet. I'm thinkin about changin them in the near future? Not sure yet? Kinda scared to push them, but then again I'm tryin to get used to the new bike altogether. So maybe I will like them once I get used to the bike?

·
Registered
54 Posts
So what your saying is the Q3's are indeed good in the wet?
The warm up time is much quicker on the Q3 compared to the Supercorsas. The Pirellis have more outright grip when up to temp, but for the street and for the price the Q3 gets the nod. If you're going to do trackdays on a street tire then go Pirelli imo. Now if the Pirellis came down in price it would be a different story. I'm a huge Pirelli fan, as I race on the SC's.

As far as wet weather capabilities from my own personal experience on the Q3s: I had never ran them previous to my trip to the Dragon last year. I always just ran on my Pirelli takeoffs. But I knew that the odds were I'd run into wet weather down there. I didn't want to take a chance of sitting at the cabin because of cold wet roads. So I bought street tires for the first time since I started racing. Never once did I question their ability to grip on the days we did ride on damp roads. I'd compare that feeling to the old Diablo Corsa III's, which I felt were incredible in the wet. Now don't get me wrong, there are better wet weather tires out there, but I need a tire that can rip on good days as well. And Dunlop are the only ones that even talk about their wet weather ability.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So far I only took 2 rides on those Rs10's that came stock on my new H2. Only put about 35miles on them. They seem ok, but I don't have 100% confidence in them yet. I'm thinkin about changin them in the near future? Not sure yet? Kinda scared to push them, but then again I'm tryin to get used to the new bike altogether. So maybe I will like them once I get used to the bike?
It's hard to compare tires unless you are up to pace and comfortable on the bike you're on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Tires are a very subjective topic... A tire that I think is great for my riding environment may not work so well for the next guy, and it's also dependent on the riders riding style.

I've used the RS10s. I'm not a big fan of them. They grip pretty well for street riding, but they don't last for shit. I barely got 3,000 out of a front and the rears would do 1,200 tops.

Warm up time is non-existent and they grip very well for dry street use. Sketchy as hell in the rain, as bad as a Supercorsa.

I have not personally ridden the RS10s on the track. I've talked to a few riders at track days who hated them. One of them switched out his RS10s for a set of Metzeler Racetec RRs and dropped 4 seconds off his lap times the next day with no other changes, this was on a 2015 R1. He told me that the RS10s get greasy and start to slip at a quicker pace, and it just got worse as the laps added up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The RS10's are amazing, I have been running them on my 2013 ZX10R, on my 3rd set and love them. warm up is excellent (and quick) as is stickiness. I highly recommend them, running oem size. However once has to bare in mine that these are very soft tyres an the wear rate is high. i got around just under 4000km before replacing and thats only street riding.
They came stock on my 2016 ZX10R as well, but im running supercorsa's on them

·
The Pace
7,163 Posts
RS10 fronts are excellent and last about 4,000 miles until steel belt is reached BUT maintain form much better in that the V is far less pronounced. The rears are great but not do-able as only last 1400 miles or less. My next few tire buys will be the rs10 fronts and the Metzeler rr rear. This rr rear will last 3k miles and is soft, unlike the power 3. I have a new Met rr front but have not tried installed yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts