Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my new tires mounted and went out for about 20 miles. They feel great so far but I think most new tires feel great after removing the stockers. Im ridding them on the street with 32 PSI front and rear. Has anyone else ran these tires? Im plannning on taking them to the track and I would like some feed back on tire pressure for both the street and track on these if anyone has any? The real test will come this weekend when I put 100 miles on them and I will give a review.

P.S. I still have 5mm ride height added to the rear and have not decided if I will take it out or leave it. Curious if anyone running these made height adjustments front or rear. Thanks! :mrgreen:

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
I have the rear not the front, So far im pleased with it.
air pressure was 35 at last check
i dont race. only street but i did not change the height as it is the stock size 190/55.
The bike seems more nimble, like ready to turn on a dime.
will be getting front soon.
my rear was $200 mounted and balanced

·
Registered
123 Posts
i just bought a set of these for my first upcoming trackday and maybe first race, i'll have them mounted by the end of the week. I went with the 180 rear so i'd like to hear about ride height suggestions as well as right now im running stock ride height with the 636 knuckle/dogbones

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just bought a set of these for my first upcoming trackday and maybe first race, i'll have them mounted by the end of the week. I went with the 180 rear so i'd like to hear about ride height suggestions as well as right now im running stock ride height with the 636 knuckle/dogbones
Well I know the 190 55 rear is narrower than the stock quali by a bit and it does help turn in a lot. Not sure how the 180 compares.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I really want to try these tires.... I recently added 8 mm to the rear height ... just to make the bike turn quicker and it REALLY helped a lot...

I have an 05 btw.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
theese are the tires i was askin about last 2 months ago, and nobody knew nything about theese tires. im eager to know also.

·
Registered
123 Posts
theese are the tires i was askin about last 2 months ago, and nobody knew nything about theese tires. im eager to know also.
yeah, i hadn't heard of them until last week, but i'll have them on the track may 26/27 so i can give my opinions then

·
Registered
765 Posts
I bought my '05 used and it has a set of these on it. They aren't too bad, but worn. I have new tires that will go on when my new fork seals come in.

·
Registered
2015 Gen4
211 Posts
I have been using the BT002R (medium) compund road race tyre since last July. The tyre says either street or race on the sidewall.
In any event, they stick like dung to a sheep. My Ten was great with these tyres. They are quite expensive as a set, and made a deal with my mate. We would buy a set and I would carry 45% of the cost, and he uses them in 2 heats at a race meeting. I then use them on the Ten.

They are great and I have seen at track days Im one of a handful of riders using them. Most ppl either fit the Corsa or Michelin instead.

I stick to the BT002, period.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Mine are pretty ragged on the edges, but the centers are in good shape. I ride street, so most of my wear is in the center. I might keep these on for awhile, to save some money on tires. I just wasn't sure how good of a street tire they are.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just went out on them again today, tried 33 rear and 32.5 front and it felt really great. About 80 degrees here. I may have been too low with 30 rear and 31 front. But the turn in is amazing, suspension feels awsome with the 5mm extra height from stock and I dont think I will change that. I went WOT till 155 and not a shake in the front even when it got light. Bike held its lean with no bar input, it drops in without falling fast but you dont have to press the bars 1 tenth as much as I did with the quali's. Its starting to feel like my girls R6! :lol: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
002 r/s

i read some posts looking for tire pressure #`s.. i read one that they greased up at the track, its not the tire and hope you weren't blaming that. it`s temperature . i read one that the raised ride height 5 mil, remember that these tires are taller than dq`s. 11 mm bigger in the rear alone. plus i have been told that 1 mm of adjustment on the shock can equate to 2-3 mm in ride height ? so what is this doing to your guys chassis ? there is no magic number of pressure maybe for street , but pressure effects the temperature that effects what happens with everything else . the guy who added 5mm get the tire really hot and do 190 and then slow down as if you are going into a turn and let me know what happens as the front collapses and the rear is in the sky. i am not saying that this is wrong , i would just like to know how it handles ?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i read some posts looking for tire pressure #`s.. i read one that they greased up at the track, its not the tire and hope you weren't blaming that. it`s temperature . i read one that the raised ride height 5 mil, remember that these tires are taller than dq`s. 11 mm bigger in the rear alone. plus i have been told that 1 mm of adjustment on the shock can equate to 2-3 mm in ride height ? so what is this doing to your guys chassis ? there is no magic number of pressure maybe for street , but pressure effects the temperature that effects what happens with everything else . the guy who added 5mm get the tire really hot and do 190 and then slow down as if you are going into a turn and let me know what happens as the front collapses and the rear is in the sky. i am not saying that this is wrong , i would just like to know how it handles ?
I put a 2mm washer on top of my shock that translated to 5mm height in the rear. I dont think that the bridgestone raised my rear by much because it raised the front at the same time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
002 the

point i wanted to make is that . i dick with mine too ,but there are allot of factors involved. it not just a tire. the 002 is a great tire and i will not use anything else . pick a tire set up the bike and stick with it . do you know the #`s on the front . i did not give that info? i did not say front i said rear. 11 rear ! it could effect your pivot point and then ?there is tons of crap out here , i might be full of b.s. too , but one thing i do know is i am on the right track by asking the right people not a friend or blog. food for thought be safe

·
Registered
123 Posts
does anyone know how these tires compare to the BT002R race tires in regards to grip, wear, and heat cycling? There doesn't seem to be much info on them out there yet.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
point i wanted to make is that . i dick with mine too ,but there are allot of factors involved. it not just a tire. the 002 is a great tire and i will not use anything else . pick a tire set up the bike and stick with it . do you know the #`s on the front . i did not give that info? i did not say front i said rear. 11 rear ! it could effect your pivot point and then ?there is tons of crap out here , i might be full of b.s. too , but one thing i do know is i am on the right track by asking the right people not a friend or blog. food for thought be safe
I got you on the rear 11 mm. But if the front goes up also then you need to subtract that from the 11mm, which is why I only increased a couple mm from my previous settings. Im happy with it right now, I tested it under high speed and WOT and under braking into turns and its stable. Everyone who changes thier tires should measure from the wheel nutz to the ground before and after so they know how much ride height increased or decreased. And you can only learn about suspension adjustments by asking as you are of your "right people", I have some videos that I purchased also. I make changes all the time as my ridding ability changes my suspension needs to change. The reason I started this thread in the first place is because there are some tires(mostly race tires) that have drasticly different PSI settings than others. Like the Mich PP race meduim rear is supposed to be set at 22PSI in hot weather. So I was hopeing that someone had come across some PSI info for these tires, you know, if its 90 degrees out you should try 30PSI. But no one seems to know so I'll just keep playing with it untill I like it. :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put a new set of the BT002RS's (F120/70/17 - R190/55/17) on prior to a trackday this past Monday. They held up fine (used F30/R30 for pressure), wear was minimal, and no traction issues all day. I'm midpack in the B group, so those true A riders may burn these up quicker than I did (but most A riders at the trackdays I frequent are running slicks or DOT race tires anyway).

I do have an Ohlins rear shock and the front end has also been resprung/revalved, but I do not know how much the geometry has been affected by all of these changes in total (suspension+tires). I'll be working with the suspension guys to make sure that things are working properly with the current setup, and will tweak settings and geometry as needed.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put a new set of the BT002RS's (F120/70/17 - R190/55/17) on prior to a trackday this past Monday. They held up fine (used F30/R30 for pressure), wear was minimal, and no traction issues all day. I'm midpack in the B group, so those true A riders may burn these up quicker than I did (but most A riders at the trackdays I frequent are running slicks or DOT race tires anyway).

I do have an Ohlins rear shock and the front end has also been resprung/revalved, but I do not know how much the geometry has been affected by all of these changes in total (suspension+tires). I'll be working with the suspension guys to make sure that things are working properly with the current setup, and will tweak settings and geometry as needed.
Good info, thanks for adding something valueble! So what was the temp. during the day? And if you can keep me updated on what suspesnion tweeks make positive changes for you. I would be interested to know what heights you have for the front and rear from the axle nutz to the ground, if we could get on the same page as to where to measure from! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Temp was 80's in the morning, up to mid 90's by afternoon. I've got another 2 days coming up 6/16-6/17, and it's always close to 100 or more during June up at Thunderhill. Not sure what the height from the axle nut to the ground will tell anyone, there would only be minuscule changes both front and rear, all due to potential different heights of the tire; that wouldn't take into account anything on the suspension on either end. I'd think that more significant geometry changes would be how much the triple clamp is moved up or down on the forks in front, and what the ride height is in rear, from the changed height of the shock (along with a potential small difference due to tire size difference). That said, I do not know where would be the right place to measure from so folks online could compare, without having the bikes side by side.

I did the first trackday on the bike using the original DQ's, and stock suspension. There is a well-known suspension tuner at most of these days, and he kept cranking in more and more preload as well as compression when I came in after each session; we ran out of adjustment well before lunch. I'm probably 235 - 240 lbs with full leathers/gear on, so the stock springs/valving don't cope well with that once at track speeds. The stock rear was OK in terms of getting the right sag (using preload adjustments), but it wasn't behaving as I'd want on a bike at the speeds it's capable of (modern literbikes are hitting 170+ on the front straight at THill before having to brake going into turn 1), I wanted something that felt much more dialed-in so I went with an Ohlins on the rear when the front was in to get new springs/valving. The suspension felt so much better this past trackday with the new components, and the tires felt great as well. It is hard to attribute the right amount of credit to the individual components, but I'm confident that the 002's feel significantly better than the original DQ's. No idea how to compare them to the 2CT's or the Diablo III's yet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts