Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little over 1000 miles on my set of Bridgestone BT-016 tires and figured you guys might wanna hear my impressions. I finally switched after about 17,000 miles on ContiSports, so they are my immediate comparison.

Just to clarify, this is a review of the off the shelf BT-016, not the OEM tire that comes on the 2008 ZX-10R. The main difference being that the OEM rear tire has only 2 compounds, while the off the shelf tire has 3 seperate compounds. In addition, the OEM front tire is a single compound, while the off the shelf front tire is dual compound.

The Good
First of all, the grip on the BT16s is awesome! I am going through corners quite a bit quicker with no sign of running out of grip anytime soon. These tires don't slip at all.

The front tire is amazing! It offers quite a bit more feedback than the ContiSport front did. I feel like i can lean it over forever and the front end never feels numb. With the ContiSports, the front would feel a bit numb at full lean and you just had to trust the front tire. Mind you, it never let me down, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence. The Bridgestone BT-016 front tire inspires tons of confidence and my increased pace through the turns is a direct result of this.

The rear tire is also very good. Where the rear tire on the ContiSport might get just a little bit greasy after a good amount of hard cornering, the BT16 rear stays perfectly planted. The difference between the ContiSport and BT16 rears is not as significant as the different between the fronts, however.

The shape of the two tires is very similar. They both share a round profile, and in my opinion this allows for a more consistent turn-in speed than a more angular shaped tire.

Warm-up time is nearly nonexistent. They may not heat up quite as fast as the ContiSports, but it probably only takes a few extra minutes. I feel quite confident going through corners about 5 minutes after my ride begins. There are a few good corners on my way home from work, probably 2 miles away. I have plenty of grip for them every day, and it has been a bit cool here lately (in the 50's and 60's). So warm-up time is not an issue at all in my opinion.

The Bad
I am not sure yet, but it doesn't seem like these tires are going to last very long. Probably not much longer than my ContiSports did, which was anywhere between 2500 and 3500 miles depending on my riding.

Verdict
If you are looking for new tires, you could do much worse than the Bridgestone BT-016 tires. I will be buying another few sets of them for sure. I am hooked.

Below are some pictures I took to show the wear of the tires up to this point:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had a couple brigestones before and they were great but no way near the mich or pirellis.
were they the BT-016s? I was not a fan of the BT-014s i had on my 636

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i for one love them. I did not care at all for the michelins on my buddies 10. Love the bt16s though. Grip for days at all lean angles, and i ride pretty hard.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
it doesnt look like your using the outside compounds yet:lol: j/k thanks for the review.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
another happy bt16 user, picked em up as a factory mounted tires and havent looked back since, put on about 3200 miles on em and probably can get at least a few more weeks next season on them with no problems, ill be gettin a new set of 16's next year for sure

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it doesnt look like your using the outside compounds yet j/k thanks for the review.
:mrgreen:
With these tires it only took me one good ride to get rid of the rear chicken strips and most of the front. Usually takes me a few days to adjust to a fresh set of tires.

Judging by the way the tire ripples in the medium compound section (section between the center and edge), it does look like i could be getting on the gas earlier and/or smoother though.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Great review...Warm up scared me which is what they had an issue with in other reviews. Corsa IIIs warm up quick. I met a couple of riders and one on a 10R at the shop...He convinced his buddy to get Corsa IIIs. I was happy for the guy...I am thinking of getting the BT16 as well...Then I get to do the same thing as you and give a spread of opinions. Thank you for this bro. This helped a lot. I like the tread design...The Rossos have bare shoulders which is neat and it seems these have them as well. Rep sent!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great review...Warm up scared me which is what they had an issue with in other reviews. Corsa IIIs warm up quick. I met a couple of riders and one on a 10R at the shop...He convinced his buddy to get Corsa IIIs. I was happy for the guy...I am thinking of getting the BT16 as well...Then I get to do the same thing as you and give a spread of opinions. Thank you for this bro. This helped a lot. I like the tread design...The Rossos have bare shoulders which is neat and it seems these have them as well. Rep sent!
Thanks for the rep! I'd send some back but it won't let me for some reason.

I would love to hear a comparison between the DCIII and the BT16 tires if/when you change.

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
i like my 016's they grip good, the bike handles very good, and they seem to be wearing ok, i should be able to pull 3500ish miles out of the rear

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, took a ride out to a local riding spot called "the unknown" (scary i know :mrgreen:). It is very heavily biased towards left hand turns and after about 2 hours or so of riding my rear tire is at the wear indicators on the left side. Tire has just over 1000 miles on it.

I am kinda disappointed, but i don't think it was all the tire's fault. I think i was running too high of pressures. They had the "cheese grater" effect going on. I was running about 31 psi, i will try dropping it to 28 and see how that does.

Next time i go out i am gonna take before and after PSI measurements so i can see how much PSI they are gaining. Gonna shoot for 5 PSI. Will do that this weekend for sure.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are pics of the tires with about 1500 miles. The left side is shot.

I was running at 30 psi rear the other day and the tires had the cheese grater look, so i changed to 28 before today's ride to see how that did. Measured pressures after the hard portion of the ride and had an increase of 4 PSI. Tires looked better, but still not to my liking.

28 PSI is the recommended track pressure from Bridgestone for the rear. Thats why i tried 30 to begin with (it was hard riding in an abandoned community, so it was similar to track riding), figured i'd add 2 PSI to their track recommendation.

I have ordered another tire from Superbike Supply, when that comes in i will try 32 PSI starting and see how that looks. If that tire doesnt wear better i will probably be going back to my contis. No matter how good the front is, i can't afford a new rear every 1500 miles.

Here's some pics. Unfortunately the tire "clag" had been knocked off by the time i got home so i can't show you that. Notice the lack of any tread on the left hand side.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Interested to see what pressures others are running in the BT16s when doing hard cornering type riding.

Also, i have emailed Bridgestone regarding what the proper gain in PSI from cold to hot should be. Will let you guys know what they come back with.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i do pretty bit of hard riding on the 16's. I keep the psi's at 33/34 rear and 33/32 front (cold). Wear is really good right now ; i picked it for the winter season cause it heats up fast and the super soft shoulder will stay nice and warm even on cold days; I however would not fully trust these tires on a really hot day as it WILL get greasy if you are a devil on the gas

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe i need to try raising the PSI for now while it's cool outside and possibly go back down when it gets hot?

I am getting really good results from the front at 30 PSI right now. Wish i could say the same about the rear so far. To be fair, it was constant hard left turns for about 20 minutes at a time at a pretty quick pace.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Vio, i just keep the psis' in the above 30 range for mileage. Its rather, the opposite of what you mentioned. For winter, keep the psi's lower than normal for more contact patch / faster warmup (faster wear too).

I live in california, so i dont' really worry about heating up tires but if you run 30 or sub 30 psi, you are gonna eat through that tire fast in less than 2k miles, for sure.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts