Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody running these tires? Street or track? I have been running the Dunlop Q2's this summer and absolutely loved them until today when the rear tire gave out on me and I almost went down :eyecrazy: Anyways my buddy ran Dunlops his whole life until the same thing happened to him and he switched to the 002's. He's a rides very hard and says they are great for the street, I just wanted to get some opinions from the ZX10 guys here...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've been through a ton of 002rs sets and LOVE them. They sure don't last long when riding hard but they stick like nobodys business. They have been my favorite tire for a few years now. I haven't tried the 003 yet. I've toned down my street antics a bunch and may not give the 003 a shot on public roads. I'll probably hold off on it for track duty.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are the 003's fazing out the 002's? Or will they both be staying around? Should I just go with 003's for the street...

·
Registered
312 Posts
I didn't like the 002's on the street. Great turn-in, sharp and accurate steering. But the stiff casing wouldn't allow the tires to flex enough. Most of the roads around here are bumpy and cracked. The 002's wouldn't really knock the bike off line, but didn't inspire confidence either. Your comment about the Q2's going off and scaring you is an example why I like my Pirelli's.
Michelins and "street" Metzlers are good tires, but when they are done, whoa! - look out. The Pirelli's give tons more warning, but def not a mileage tire 1200-1500 max canyon miles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cant speak for the 002's or the 003's on my 10r yet, but i've run both on my 636 and Rc51. The 002's stick plenty for Burnin up the mountain roads. But the 003s stick a tad better i think. But wear out quicker. 002's are all you need on the street, plus they have more tread to get that damn chat and shit out of the way and get you grip. 003's more of a track inspired tire IMO. Both are awesome tires tho.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool thanks for the info guys, I have been told that they done make the 002 anymore so I will be going with the 003 unless someone knows where to grab the 002's

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Just street, I have to admit I was practicing wheelies. No burnouts though.
Yeah i have to admit jvt's tires were difinately worn down threw the middle. Jvt may have just designed a new tire design called the (BT-Chickenstone 002.5):spit:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Stick with Dunlops, they don't just let go you ran over something sand, oil something, I run the D211gp US made race tire on the street just changed out a set. I ride aggressively on the street I got 2500 miles out of them. you just need to let them heat up, Dunlop’s are sensitive to heat and the MUST be warm to work at all!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I didn't like the 002's on the street. Great turn-in, sharp and accurate steering. But the stiff casing wouldn't allow the tires to flex enough. Most of the roads around here are bumpy and cracked. The 002's wouldn't really knock the bike off line, but didn't inspire confidence either. Your comment about the Q2's going off and scaring you is an example why I like my Pirelli's.
Michelins and "street" Metzlers are good tires, but when they are done, whoa! - look out. The Pirelli's give tons more warning, but def not a mileage tire 1200-1500 max canyon miles.
Have you tried the Rosso Corsa's yet? I cant say a whole lot about the grip this year as Ive been underfunded and fighting suspension issues but theyve held up real well, the few times Ive actualy gotten on them in the twistys theyve felt identical to my DC3's, but I have nearly 2000 miles on them now and they look only about have worn if that. Im pretty impressed with that!!! They still provide great feel and grip so Im gonna stay with these for another set, just need some new forks now

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stick with Dunlops, they don't just let go you ran over something sand, oil something, I run the D211gp US made race tire on the street just changed out a set. I ride aggressively on the street I got 2500 miles out of them. you just need to let them heat up, Dunlop’s are sensitive to heat and the MUST be warm to work at all!
Thats what I was wondering because i have loved every second of these Q2's, maybe I will try the D211gp how much do they run about? The reason I am thinking of switching to the 002 or 003 is my buddy is running the 002 and he was right in front of me and he stuck just fine to the road :dontknow: Also this happened after a few hours of riding on a warm day so the tires weren't cold but I possibly did hit something in the road!?!

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Thats what I was wondering because i have loved every second of these Q2's, maybe I will try the D211gp how much do they run about? The reason I am thinking of switching to the 002 or 003 is my buddy is running the 002 and he was right in front of me and he stuck just fine to the road :dontknow: Also this happened after a few hours of riding on a warm day so the tires weren't cold but I possibly did hit something in the road!?!

They are about $380 a set, you either ran over something, or you did something wrong, but I can assure you it was not the tire fault. I have crashed many times and NOT once was it the bikes fault.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Have you tried the Rosso Corsa's yet?
I'm going to run one more set of SC's, then try the Rosso's. I plan on doing a track day in a couple weeks, and just want to stay with something familiar.

They are about $380 a set, you either ran over something, or you did something wrong, but I can assure you it was not the tire fault. I have crashed many times and NOT once was it the bikes fault.
The Truth. I know I'm the least capable component in the equation, I need all the help I can get!:eek:ccasion1

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man $380 a set! :eyecrazy: That is so damn expensive!! I can get a set of 003's for $275 to my door!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
1200 miles on my current set of 003's and time to change them. I have tried the 002's also when they were still available they were good but I like the 003's better. I am thinking about going back to 2CT's though on this next set, last set of 2CT's lasted around 2500 miles and stuck fine where I ride :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts