Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a hard time finding good, definitive information on how to resolve the well known Gen 1 braking issues so I thought I would share my experience to make it easier for others now that I have finally rectified the problem.

First I changed the brake pads to full sintered and the stock lines to galfer GP lines in hopes that this would be a simple solution. It was not. Although it helped slightly, the brakes were still nowhere near acceptable and the lever could still be pulled all the way to the bars.

I finally broke down and bought a new Brembo GP MK2 19X20 MC and installed it today. I had a really hard time deciding to go with the 19X20 instead of the 19X18 due to claimed safety issues with the 19X20 in a panic braking scenario on the street. I decided on the 19x20 anyway because I have heard that the calipers are also lousy and contribute to the problem so I figured I would go with the 19x20 in hopes that the added stiffness would compensate for any additional squish introduced by the calipers. As of right now, I am very glad that I went with the 19x20 because there is still a good amount of play, although it is within reason now and the stopping power is amazing and effortless! I did my best to bleed the brakes and cylinder but I also have the lever zip tied for the next 24 hours so maybe it will have even less travel after.

Basically I wanted to share this because buying the MC first kept me from having to buy new calipers as well as many others suggested to me. Replacing the calipers first probably would have helped but I still would have had to do something about the MC since it was not a smooth pull at all, which was even more noticeable once I took it off and compared it side by side with the Brembo. I love the brakes now and will not be changing the calipers any time soon since they work and look great. Thanks everyone for all the info that you take the time to post. I'm learning a lot from y'all! Hope this makes life a little easier for someone else.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I had the same problem like you and many others. I tried changing EVERYTHING, including fluid, ss lines, calipers, and finally to a Brembo RCS. After all that I STILL couldn't get confidence in my brakes. One time while I was bleeding (again), I really paid attention to what I was doing, but more importantly what the bike was telling me. I noticed on my vacuum bleeder I would get little bubbles and the vacuum pump would never hold a suction. So on a whim I used some tehplon tape on the threads of the bleeds, and it transformed the brakes after a single bleed. I contribute it to trying to drink out of a straw with a hole above the soda line. I'm not saying this is everyone's issue, but I know this worked for me. Probably better than any of the other upgrades I did to make the most substantial difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I never would have thought of that. I'll have to add that to my bag of tricks in case I have a similar problem in the future. Thanks for the interesting insight!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I did a complete replacement of the braking system. I used a Brembo master off a late model R1 a lot cheaper than going with an RCS and just about as good. I replaced the lines with steel braided and replaced the calipers with Brembo's. The brakes are beyond amazing like night and day especially since my Gen 1 is track only. Oh and I put Galfer Superbike rotor's on.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Cheap solution. Zx14r Caliper with SS line. MC from a 2008 and +
and some good brake pad..

For a street use i mean..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts