Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally tracked it down in case any of you are having similar problems. Although I have a feeling that this is going to be rare because I think I got a refurb... or something.

http://www.thelunchjournals.com/custom/Pics/Bike/ZX10R/M-C/DSCF1557.JPG

http://www.thelunchjournals.com/custom/Pics/Bike/ZX10R/M-C/DSCF1559.JPG

It's a slow leak and of course a bitch to see... but if it sits for a while, it's bad and it's already ruined my black plastic inner cover.

The reason I say refurb/remanufactured unit is because when I took it out of the bag, I saw these:

http://www.thelunchjournals.com/custom/Pics/Bike/ZX10R/M-C/DSCF1561.JPG

I did ask my Lockhart Phillips rep about it, but he said it's probably part of the forging process. I didn't buy it, but I tried it anyway since he told me I could return it. Buuuuut.... Now that I don't work for the dealership anymore, I'm a bit nervous they won't help me out.

We shall see!

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I did ask my Lockhart Phillips rep about it, but he said it's probably part of the forging process. I didn't buy it, but I tried it anyway since he told me I could return it. Buuuuut.... Now that I don't work for the dealership anymore, I'm a bit nervous they won't help me out.
Part of the forging process my achin old fuggen a**!! those are indentations from a very common everyday device called a 'vice', so the question is why on a new part??? and if it is a refurb then the answer is simple.

The good news is you found the leak.

BD

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
I know many people are happy with their Brembo's but I am not comfortable with the neeed for the extra crush washer in the middle of the 2 hoses at the MC. Something is wrong with a design that requires that.

I have test fitted mine using a Goodridge double banjo, a single speilger banjo switch, a double speigler banjo switch and I have the same problem. It bottoms out before it tightens up and needs a 4th crushwasher.

I don't like that, and am not going to use it like that. It may be the Galfer hoses that are at fault. Maybe their banjo ends are thinnner than other hoses by a cunt hair. Don't know havent measured others yet.

That just doesn't look right in your photo. It may work, but its not right.

My Brembo does NOT have those vise marks on it or anything that looks like that.

JJ

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Salkhan, you appear to be using 2 stock crushwashers in the middle and 2 aftermarket copper ones on each end. The crush washers that came with my Goodridge, Spiegler and Galfer parts are all about 1.0MM thick. Stock crush washers measure 1.5MM thick. I think I am going to buy some new OEM Kawasaki crush washers and see if that works with just 3 crush washers versus 4. I think it will based on some measurements I made. Maybe some Kwak dealer will have some in stock locally Friday? (Wishfull thinking).

JJ

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah my only concern is that LP will say "Well you must've put those Vice Grip marks there" - Why would I need to a brake master cylinder in a vice?!? Well besides the obvious idiot moments. :mrgreen: :wink:

As for the crush washers... I had to do it to take up the slack for the missing copper washers I didn't have. The standard Holiday Inn Express adage applies here, but I'm not sure thickness would really matter? I would think that as long as you're not bottoming out and the washers are good quality to make a solid seal, wouldn't either way work? I haven't noticed any leaking - but then again with the M/C leaking and spreading everywhere, I'll have to sort that before anything else is sorted.

But I agree... I doesn't look or feel right. I wish Brembo and/or Galfer would include some extras in case of situations like these. Or at least Brembo could include a pressure switch based on bike? I dunno. There is something about the way Brembo does business on their motorcycle end that rubs me slightly the wrong way.

I'll call LP again tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Goodwrench makes the brake pressure banjo bolt not Brembo. Send the M/C back to LP, they'll replace it. By the way a little birdy told me Brembo is going to be coming out soon with a new master cylinder called their "Race Click" meaning you can switch from either a 19x20 or 19x18 and will come with a brake switch built in.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Goodwrench makes the brake pressure banjo bolt not Brembo. Send the M/C back to LP, they'll replace it. By the way a little birdy told me Brembo is going to be coming out soon with a new master cylinder called their "Race Click" meaning you can switch from either a 19x20 or 19x18 and will come with a brake switch built in.
Right... Just saying that it would be nice if maybe the got engaged and worked on communications. :mrgreen:

But ratio changing sounds damn nice! I'm guessing $500 price tag?

PS: Don't confuse Goodwrench with Goodridge. They might sue. :wink: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice

Did that little birdy tell you how much this new MC will run by chance. I am getting ready to buy a Brembo but will wait if the little birdy says it will be out soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts