Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[FONT=&quot]I fully understand the difference physical differences/build between the HP Billet calipers and the M4 Cast Monobloc calipers. What I’d like to know is there a significant performance difference between the two that justifies the $500+ price difference. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The bike the calipers potentially may go on is a 04 ZX-10R that’s used as a daily commuter/occasional track day toy. Current brake set-up is the following; CBR1K calipers/spacers, Galfer wave rotors, Galfer SBK brake lines, Galfer HH sintered pads and ZX-6 radial m/c.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is there anyone with experience with both calipers that can provide input? [/FONT]

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have both of the calipers you speak of: M4's on my 636 & billets on the 10R & have swapped them around before as well.
Here is my personal thoughts and findings.

The Billet Hp's offer better feedback at the lever ALL THE TIME, on the street or track, just smoother in it's progression, and force applied, good initial bite and very linear delivery, and well when trail braking just always let's you know exactly what is going on. kinda like a even better nissin caliper (from the 14 or later model 6r)...i love these calipers, and they only get better with more heat in them (awesome for trackdays).

The M4 monoblocks, i have more time with being i have them on my 1098 as stock and my 636. They have a noticably more aggressive initial hit when applied, have swapped pads and still also very strong when 1st applied, and after the intitial bite they then become pretty linear and controlled, but takes noticably less lever to get the same results as the HP's...Can be a bad thing if your sloppy with the brakes. on track never an issue especially in harder braking areas, but they seem to lack the feel the HP's offer.

if you asked me which i would buy, i would have to say some NISSIN's..Unless you want that brembo name and prestige, the nissins are 95% the caliper as either one of these 2 for $140..add a brembo RCS master and call it a day, barring some ceramic rotors for a drop in unspring weight.
but if you want the brembo i would find some HP Billets.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
unfortunately I can't give you a super accurate answer as I basically went from stock brakes to brembo billet mc, ss and Brembo HP GP4-RX calipers. Honestly the braking ability with this setup is actually way to powerful for the street simply because once my gf was following me and my brake light almost never came on because the pressure switch needs more braking than the bike most of the time.

I did some research into the calipers a while ago and found out the guide pins are machined into the calipers. Also when I was getting them I asked my builder the difference between all the brembo calipers and he basically said these would be more than I would need.

The rigidity of these calipers is supposedly much better than the cast mono block and the billet mono block version is better. The probability that you're better than the 2 piece billet and or need something better is more wasting your money than anything.

I paid 2gs a while ago for these calipers and hardracing has them cheaper than I bought them for at the time. I believe hardracing has them around 1600-1700. I would highly recommend them along with a billet 19x18 brembo mc. I personally cant wait to see the further difference once I have BSTs and braketech cmc rotors.

At the end of the day it really depends what you need them for.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fellas,
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like the HPs will be a bit of overkill for my application. Now, I'm torn between dropping the $$$ on the M4s or just staying with the set-up I have.......what to do....what to do...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike is used as a daily driver/week-end fun and occasional track day toy.

Currently stationed in Korea with a return date of Dec so there's not a rush to make a decision........

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The suspension had been done; Ohlins 46PRXLS shock and Ohlins 25mm fork cartridge kit set-up for my weight/riding style. Full Leo Vince exhaust, PCIII, Ivans TRE with custom tune for 160 hp/79 lbs torque. TiForce rear-sets, Titax levers, Puig dark smoke double-bubble screen, CBR1K calipers/spacers, Galfer wave rotors, Galfer SBK brake lines, Galfer HH sintered pads and ZX-6 radial m/c.
Have been looking at Brembo calipers to get a little more in terms of braking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts