Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a question for those of your with the Brembo 19x18 M/C:

How much initial "free" lever travel do you guys have before you feel resistance on your master cylinder?

My brakes seem to work fine but for some reason I have this feeling the initial travel is longer than it used to be. I'm wonder if I snagged some air in there maybe? I PREFER having the brakes firm right away, but it's still strong.

Just curious! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
There should be no sponge feeling but a 18 will not have an immediate grab to it. There is no free play in mine, I would try to rebleed. Make sure you are using fresh fluid too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I fitted a Brembo 19x16 to my R1, when the bike fell off the stand and snapped the lever I fitted an 18 shorty Pazzo, the travel is minimal with both levers, it sounds as though you've got some air in the lines.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it could be air. I have about 1.5-2" of travel before I meet any resistance. I'm going to have to check it out.

I also have the springs removed from my brake caliper and I'm wondering if it might be slack? I'll throw 'em back in just in case.

I'm THAT lazy... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
:eek: WOW

Is the 1.5" measured or just a guess cuz thats HUGE!! bled properly it should be a mere few mm's before a firm lever is felt..........Oh and don't forget the lever travel is adjustable for shorter/longer fingers.

BD

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:eek: WOW

Is the 1.5" measured or just a guess cuz thats HUGE!! bled properly it should be a mere few mm's before a firm lever is felt..........Oh and don't forget the lever travel is adjustable for shorter/longer fingers.

BD
Just measured... It's a full inch before any pressure is felt. The Brembo adjuster doesn't have numbers, but I'm closer to full extended than I am full retracted (or further vs closer).

·
Registered
67 Posts
At 1" of travel my track bike would be on its nose. There is definitely something up if you have really any travel at all with a Brembo 19x18. The stock Kawi is probably 1-1.5" of travel before any good braking, but a Brembo should be immediate.

·
Registered
788 Posts
As the pads wear down you will gain lever travel even if the lines are air free.

how does that work? as the pads wear down more fluid will move from the master cylinder into the area behind the pistons. the travel should stay the same due to the laws of hydraulic principals. as in a fluid in a closed system will exert equal pressure in all areas, there might be more lever travel due to moisture or broken down brake fluid. take any car or bike where the pads are worn down and flush the brake fluid and the lever/pedal will firm u and have little travel. it is always best to change brake fluid with a pad change on anything.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts