Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen threads here and there about squeezing XXX horsepower out of gen 4s, but have not seen any about pure speed on a gen 2.

What do you think it would take to hit 200mph on a gen2?

Based on what I've read I'd guess:
Reflash
full exhaust
PC3 or 5
Remove servo?
higher gearing?
engine work? (hope not)

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
It would take a lot to get a 2nd gen to 200mph on the motor only. You can do it with nitrous and taller gearing but it all comes down to power against wind resistance. and the motor doesn't make enough power to pull passed the wind to 200mph. If your a real lightweight you may have a fighting chance but more than likely you don't have enough power on the motor to pull you to 200+

·
Registered
323 Posts
It would take a lot to get a 2nd gen to 200mph on the motor only. You can do it with nitrous and taller gearing but it all comes down to power against wind resistance. and the motor doesn't make enough power to pull passed the wind to 200mph. If your a real lightweight you may have a fighting chance but more than likely you don't have enough power on the motor to pull you to 200+
well you are real lightweight and I will have enough power so your little ass will do over 200mph on my gen 2 :helmet:

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
gearingcommander says its theoretically possible with just a +1/-3 but i doubt you have a straight long enough to pull it off. the amount of horsepower you need at high speeds get's astronomically difficult to overcome

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
How much room do you have? :)

Seriously though, it's one of the few things the Gen2 does really well. Weight means very little if you have several miles to get up to speed. DRAG means everything. On a tall tire the stock gearing will get you to 185ish, so you only need about 9% more gearing to get there. Power wise, I've been on a mostly stock second gen that will pull the limiter with enough room on pavement (miles. plural.) If you ditched the mirrors, sealed up all the cracks you could, got the bike looooow and got nice and small in the saddle, you could break 200 without ever having to take the valve cover off the bike. If 220ish hp would get my fat ass, bus-like Connie up over 200mph with me sitting upright on it, you could get a 2nd gen to do it will less than 200 fo sho. :) Around 180-190hp would be my guess, starting with a baseline of 160hp.

If you're trying to do it in a standing mile or 1.5 mile, or on the salt, you'll need some more umph. :)

PS one of the major magazines did an article on this with a Haybus, GSXR 1K, and a 2nd gen ZX10r in an actual wind tunnel. Very interesting read.... especially concerning COD vs frontal area and the (huge) affect the rider has on effective COD. Wish I could find it again.... I think it was in Sport Rider or Cycle World.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
S On a tall tire the stock gearing will get you to 185ish, so you only need about 9% more gearing to get there. Power wise, I've been on a mostly stock second gen that will pull the limiter with enough room on pavement (miles. plural.)
also remember, the actual speed is far less than what your speedo is telling you. you're not doing 185 indicated, you need a gps speedo. if you want to break a true 200mph, good luck, you need a long straight and mostly what ^ said about taping up, lowering the bike

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much room do you have? :)

Seriously though, it's one of the few things the Gen2 does really well. Weight means very little if you have several miles to get up to speed. DRAG means everything. On a tall tire the stock gearing will get you to 185ish, so you only need about 9% more gearing to get there. Power wise, I've been on a mostly stock second gen that will pull the limiter with enough room on pavement (miles. plural.) If you ditched the mirrors, sealed up all the cracks you could, got the bike looooow and got nice and small in the saddle, you could break 200 without ever having to take the valve cover off the bike. If 220ish hp would get my fat ass, bus-like Connie up over 200mph with me sitting upright on it, you could get a 2nd gen to do it will less than 200 fo sho. :) Around 180-190hp would be my guess, starting with a baseline of 160hp.

If you're trying to do it in a standing mile or 1.5 mile, or on the salt, you'll need some more umph. :)

PS one of the major magazines did an article on this with a Haybus, GSXR 1K, and a 2nd gen ZX10r in an actual wind tunnel. Very interesting read.... especially concerning COD vs frontal area and the (huge) affect the rider has on effective COD. Wish I could find it again.... I think it was in Sport Rider or Cycle World.
I have a mile or 2 of long straights out in the country near me...but if I needed to I bet I could find longer straights than that.

I assume I still need several speed mods, but it sounds like you're saying it can all be done on a stock motor as long as I get better aerodynamics.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Actually, I measure rear tire diameter and multiply datalogged rpm through the gearing and final drive numbers, and then by tire circumference. GPS can be a % or two off from one another as well. I've been around enough to know that speedometers (and tachs) lie quite a bit. :)

·
Registered
4,480 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Didn't see any pictures. Streamliners? Remember that part about drag I mentioned up there? If you could build a complete streamline bodywork set-up for the ZX10 you could probably get to 200 with one spark plug out. But most people don't want to do that for a streetbike. ;)

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
seriously ready to tackle this on the BigCat! just finished filling out the cam worksheet for webcams now that im near a printer.

the wait is KILLING me

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Pretty stoked to see how it turns out too, actually. :)
Finally made it to a printer to order custom cams from webcams and getting ceramic wheel bearings since I dont wanna dump into light wheels ill just make mine spin better

1 - 18 of 18 Posts