Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my brakes lines and the Galper steel braided line leaked at the caliper. In short my NEW! Front Dunlop slick sat in brake fluid for about 2 days. I had the front tire off the stand and on the ground on the matt and did not see the fluid until I moved the bike a couple of days later.
How bad is brake fluid on a tire? Is this tire toast?????

I am doing a track day Saturday and will be nervous about using this tire. Anyone have this happen to them?
The fluid appears to have soaked into the tire.

FREAKING Galper! pisses me off. The banjo coupling at the caliper had a casting flaw that would not allow it to seal properly and all the brake fluid leaked out over night.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
i wouldnt trust it,.......especially being a front tire!....but thats just me!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
fuuuck that. replace it, quick!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dont use it.
breake fluid has this wonderfull ability to penetrate and soak into materials

if u get the fluid on the breake pads u will be able to whipe it away but if u heat the breake pad after u have whiped it u will see that the fluids have gotten into the material and it's near impossible to get it all out
i suspect that same thing will happen to you'r front wheel whipe it down get some heat into it and presto u will have a wet spot on the tire

i was so lucky myself to knock over some breake fluid without notising it giving both tires a good lube bath for a day both tires got trached the next day after some :BangHead:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Dont use it.
breake fluid has this wonderfull ability to penetrate and soak into materials

if u get the fluid on the breake pads u will be able to whipe it away but if u heat the breake pad after u have whiped it u will see that the fluids have gotten into the material and it's near impossible to get it all out
i suspect that same thing will happen to you'r front wheel whipe it down get some heat into it and presto u will have a wet spot on the tire

i was so lucky myself to knock over some breake fluid without notising it giving both tires a good lube bath for a day both tires got trached the next day after some :BangHead:
:+1: replace them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys its gone! Sucks to toss a $200 tire because Galper produced a faulty product..... but better to be safe than sorry. This faulty break line has been one costly pain in the ass!!!!!!!! I think I will try to run goodrich just to get away from Galper.

And get this they want to charge me to send me a new brake line!!!!!!! I should send them a bill for my new tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad:

The even more bummer is to find a new matching Dunlop slick for my track day at Fontana this Saturday! I hate having to rush or miss sessions to replace tires. And at $270 a track day I want as much track time as possbile.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Guys, brake fluid doesn't eat the internals of... the brake system. You know that bladder that sits underneath the reservoir cap? That's rubber. I'm going to suggest that the tire is probably ok. However, I can't guarantee it. Have you washed the spot really well with dish soap or other strong detergent? Then you can look to see if there is any discoloration. Maybe you can take it out and run it easy for a little while and then check it again.

Call the tire manufacturer. They should know what chemicals the compounds are sensitive to.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Guys, brake fluid doesn't eat the internals of... the brake system. You know that bladder that sits underneath the reservoir cap? That's rubber. I'm going to suggest that the tire is probably ok. However, I can't guarantee it. Have you washed the spot really well with dish soap or other strong detergent? Then you can look to see if there is any discoloration. Maybe you can take it out and run it easy for a little while and then check it again.

Call the tire manufacturer. They should know what chemicals the compounds are sensitive to.
:+1:

Call them, don't just trash it without at least KNOWING FOR SURE if it is ruined. I mean there are smart guys here on this forum, but the truth is no one here knows for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts