Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Should I buy a New or Used bike mainly for track use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:hello: Should I buy a brand new bike or a used one? I've been stuck between a rock and hard place on this topic for a while.:dontknow: Well its come time for me to really decide. I'm finally about to get paid from the insurance company for my bike.

I've been hit by a car twice in the past two years. So the boss lady and I decided I should 90% track and maybe street every now and then. If it was up to her alone I would be gardening or something.:badteeth:

Well what do you guys think?:heyyou: Used or New? I'm leaning towards a 600. It'll be my first, just looking to have fun. I'm thinking brand new so I can MOD the bike myself and make it my own. I'll also know the history and stuff. But if I get a used bike for half the price I can do all the mods and track it out for about the same price.:thumbsup:

I've done some checkin around and used bike prices are pretty close to a brand new bike price.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I say find a used street bike. That way its more likey not to have ben thrashed on the track too much. Plus you'll have the street stuff for it when you want to ride on the street.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Buying a used track bike...hmmmmmm......how much spanking ??...bad

surprise with the engine ??

Personally I like my [email protected] brand new but I know lot of racers do pretty good

buying salvage bikes.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
the only bike i didnt buy new was my first ninja, a 250. all the others were off the showroom (my 10 was still in its crate!). i just know how some people ride their bikes, and its to easy to cover up a bike that has had the ever living piss ridden out of it. a bike could have spent 80% of its miles doing stunts, and so long as it had never been down, new fork seals would pretty much conceal its past. just peace of mind for me. also, the financing is better on used; if you've got the cash to pay for one, no big deal.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
if you buy a used race bike its already got all the goodies on it. i would not buy a brand new one though but thats just me

·
Registered
255 Posts
There are alot of Race bikes out there for sale. HINT HINT. LOL

Most of the AMA teams sell there bikes at the end of the year, Would you be scared to buy one of there bikes? I wouldnt. Several guys I know buy used race bikes. I dont know of any who have had severe problems with any of them. Just do your homework.

Do a compression check, leakdown test, etc..... Unless you plan on doing some engine mods then who cares.

Get a checklist together and go from there. If they wont let you check anything then :fu2:

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
I'd go used street bike too. There's a lot of bikes *cough - Suzuki* that you can find used parts for off of forums like wera.com and cmraracing.com. I remember when I had my '03 6R I could find used race crap for it all day long.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input guys:thumbsup: ... I've seen quite a few race bikes that have been tempting but they're all far away... I'm just not willing to fork over thousands across country without even seeing it....

As for compression check and that other stuff. :dontknow: .. i have no idea how to do anything like that....

·
Registered
848 Posts
I say find a Used bike thats in "like new" condition.........if you buy a new one you just going to probably void your warranty with all the mods.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts