Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using both legs to squeeze the tank under hard braking reduces upper body fatigue and helps with the succeding down shifting. However, I rarely see the pros doing it. They always seem to have one knee out far in advance of the turn. Any insight??

·
Banned
814 Posts
i think the 'squeeze the tank' bit sounds like a bit of advice from someone's book, twist of the wrist or the like. i think thats more advice given in 'riding for dummies,' mentality. a horrible habit to get into while under braking is sitting too far back in the seat..once you brake you slide forward on the seat, abruptly hit the tank, and unsettle the suspension under braking.

so i think squeezing the tank is just to get riders out of the habit of sitting back on the seat, and letting the suspension work more smoothly, and thus more quickly. obviously pro's have got it figured out, and do it properly without the mental note, thus they setup however they're comfortable going into the corner and rest up against the tank before hand.

·
Registered
219 Posts
AS, whoever told you that explanation exaggerated a bit. During hardbraking, there is weight transfer toward the front. If you can keep your weight toward the back, you gain braking force and stability.

But really, it's about braking technique. The Pros brake late and hard but they are so smooth at it. Most importantly, they trail-brake quite a bit toward the apex, scrubbing off speed all the way in while the straight up-n-down brakers still gathering up their pushing frontend. They get on and off the brake in such smoothness they don't need to knee-grip the tank but still brake harder than most. While this applies to most turns, special turns such as Shanghai's T1 where you go from 6 gear down to 1st...

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I think the key is to keep all the weight on your pegs...IE, no weight on the bars...thats the idea...

·
Banned
814 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
I think the key is to keep all the weight on your pegs...IE, no weight on the bars...thats the idea...
exactly, to keep from adding inputs to the clipons/front suspension.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Actually, Hill, the idea is not to let your weight shift around too much. (You can't keep your weight on the peg under braking. If you are not bracing yourself against the pegs, how can you keep yourself from moving forward under braking, let alone weighting the pegs. Remember, the pegs are in a neutral position from a leverage standpoint. Don't tell me you forgot your Physics 101 materials already. :beer: ) Thru braking technique, you can eliminate most of the weight transfer. I also use my outside inner leg portion against the tank to brace myself while I set up for the apex (ie., hanging off with knee out).

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Archille said:
Actually, Hill, the idea is not to let your weight shift around too much. (You can't keep your weight on the peg under braking.) Thru braking technique, you can eliminate most of the weight transfer. I also use my outside inner leg portion against the tank to brace myself while I set up for the apex.
Can you explain that better please...I got lost somewhere after the "(" mark...:redface:

·
Banned
814 Posts
Arch, i think we're saying the same thing. just different ways.. eliminate all unnecessary movement under braking to keep weight from shifting letting the components better do their job.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
yall are wrong...

my way or the highway!

:wink:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The advice to squeeze the tank with your knees (which comes from Code, Jason and Reg Pridmore, Spencer and a host of others) is meant to do 2 things:
1 - as has been said sorta, to keep you from placing/transferring too much weight onto your wrists/clip-ons.
2 - to keep you from giving the motorcycle unintended input through the clip-ons.

When they say 'squeeze with the knees' read the next line - 'use your abdominal muscles to keep your torso upright, not your arms'. The whole idea is to train yourself to keep your torso upright without using your arms in a 'push-up' type motion/effort.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts