Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was browsing the local forum...found a good thread about braking...great read.

I was always under the impression that if youre rear wheel isn't on the ground...how will the rear brake help???

Well if watch MX, you can see how when they are in the air and are too much in a "wheelie" position, they will hit the rear brake to cause the front end to fall some fer their landing...

I dont think most really understand how much the rear brake can help, even in race applications...

ofcourse the rear brake wont stop you...but its not always about stopping...but CONTROLLING!

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12635

:badteeth:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
all in all its often times overlooked with ones focus on other aspects of riding i.e. corner entry/exit apex points, body position the bikes performance weather it be stock of modified while braking gets shuffled to the back burner in terms of actually applying maximum braking effort for a given distance, learning to brake deeper so that theres no on/off throttle scenerio.

BD

·
Registered
219 Posts
(BD, how many breath did you have to take to finish that sentence of your?! No offend intended but that is some funny sh$t you wrote. :lol: )

I find the rear brake is a bit of an issue for me, personally. From what I was taught, the rear brake stabilizes the BIKE under braking into the corner, slow the over-steer under acceleration out of the corner, and best of all, preventing backward flip. :mrgreen: It does take a lot of practice to develop the necessary sensitivity to use successfully. Never was a rear brake rider when I started riding motorcycle, I found it to be too distracting when I started racing. When I went to Freddie's Pro-school, I was told it could be helpful but not necessary. They even have a rear-brake drill but I only found it to be useful when trying to back the bike into the hairpin, screwing around. It never occured to me to use it while racing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Archille said:
(BD, how many breathes did you have to take to finish that sentence of yours?! No offence intended but that is some funny sh$t you wrote. :lol: )
just came up for air thanks :thumbsup:

BD

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
:lol: Ok something I saw was scary and that was watching Dislavo practicing at LVMSW yes i watched him ride without rear break and pass Freddies instructors at will. The only reason I can see using rear break is because you have breaked late and need the extra help. But Hell I am no racer and wateched dislavo do it and lap the faster riders at will somthing to think about rear break doesn't help that much from what I can see but it does keep the guy behind you from passing you:lol:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I read an article a while ago about how Nicky Hayden uses the rear brake a lot. But he has a button on the clippons for the rear brake. He doesn't use the rear brake for brakes but more for bike control. (i.e. To drop the front wheel, to slow the rear wheel so there is less spinning momenum and hence causing the bike to tip in faster). About the only time I use the rear brake is if I have to do an off road excursion at the track. Then I only use the rear brake to slow down.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I learned to ride on a MX bike years ago. The front brake was non-existant on that bike so I learned to use the rear brake. I still use the rear brake (probably too much) but I do find that I only use it in select turns. I don't think about using it or not using it. It just feels better to use it sometimes. I have a friend who NEVER used to use his rear brake. I got him to try it in a couple of turns at TWS and he said it helped stabilize the bike at corner entry.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zeta xray said:
I learned to ride on a MX bike years ago. The front brake was non-existant on that bike so I learned to use the rear brake. I still use the rear brake (probably too much) but I do find that I only use it in select turns. I don't think about using it or not using it. It just feels better to use it sometimes. I have a friend who NEVER used to use his rear brake. I got him to try it in a couple of turns at TWS and he said it helped stabilize the bike at corner entry.
:shady: :mrgreen:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
the rear brake (at least to me )is a lot like a rudder on aircraft it is one thing that is difficult to master but once you have it down it makes things a lot easier. I steer with it and use it a lot to 'settle 'the bike in just my .02

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I use both front and rear braking normally at the marker. Just know your ride and be comfy. I still drag the front brakes a little during entry as I am loading the rear with some throttle at the same time for the exit. But that does not make it right or wrong though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts