Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into upgrading my breaks on my 06 10r. I hear that the zx6r and zx14 brakes are way better and can just be swapped out. I was also considering doing new brake lines as well. Should I do both, one or the other? My next question is what years of the 6r and 14 fit? Would it be possible for someone to list all of the parts I will need to do the swap. Thanks for all the help!!!

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
07-08 ZX-6 and 06-08 ZX-14 Nissin calipers will work. Stainless lines will also improve overall performance.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I would start with a Master Cylinder if you don't already have one. And yes I would co with calipers and SS lines at the same time.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I need the 6r and 14 master cylinder and calipers thats it? Plus brake lines from another source. Any other harware or anything I would need?

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
The stock master cylinder on the 06-07 10 is the same as the 6 and 14. Just grab some calipers and stainless lines and your good to go.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, seems easy enough. What added benefit would an aftermarket mc get me?

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Awesome, seems easy enough. What added benefit would an aftermarket mc get me?
That one I can't answer as I'm running a ZX14 m/c on my 04. I suppose it would be even more feel at the lever and better pressure throughout the system?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I will start with the calipers and lines and see how improved I get. Anyone want to get rid of some calipers?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought just occured to me, would I need 10r brake lines, or 6r or 14r brakes depending on which I went with?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I would say just go with the lines first (and a good bleeding) You don´t loose nothing, and perhaps you like it.
Then you may go for the calipers if you dont.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I thought just occured to me, would I need 10r brake lines, or 6r or 14r brakes depending on which I went with?
I believe the 14 lines will be best, because the fitting is at the top of the caliper on the Nissin's and the Tokico has the fitting in the middle...so with stock 10 lines you have a little extra line...I don't think it really matters either way but I was told 14 lines will be perfect.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
On my 04 I used Galfer stainless lines for an 06-07 10 - they were the perfect length and had the correct bends.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Get the 14 lines. I'm using SS lines for the 10 and are longer. Don't like the turns I have in them to keep them frm rubbing agains the radiator. Bleeding alone will not help. These are the steps I took:

1. Bleeding stock brakes - did not help
2. Installed Goodridge SS lines & bleeding - better than stock, but not much
3. Installed ZX-14 calipers with the SS lines - WOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!! BIIIIIG DIFFERENCE. LOVE IT!!!!!!!
4. Installed EBC HH pads - can stop a mack truck with this setup

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help. I forgot to mention, my 06 10r is in the process of being converted into a race bike, so I want good brakes. What benefit does the aftermarket mc get over what I have. How much more difference will it make than if I just do the 14 calipers, lines, and pads?

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
I would start with a Master Cylinder if you don't already have one. And yes I would co with calipers and SS lines at the same time.
+1...I have the Brembo 19x20 Master Cylinder in billet with FrenTubo SS brake lines. I will swap calipers eventually.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright an update, I just bought a set of 07 zx6r calipers. What brake lines and pads should I get? Should I go with zx6r, zx14, or 06 zx10r? Is on a 06 10r. Was gonna go with Galfer SS lines. Its on a street / track bike. Im gonna do them all at the same time since it has to be taken apart anyways. Thanks!

·
Chairman of the Board
16,065 Posts
SS brake lines and EBC sintered pads made a HUGE difference in feel and stopping power on my 04. (Front and rear)I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But Im wondering what year / model to get for the lines. I have the 6r calipers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts