Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've searched at length on this subject and want to make sure I've got the right ideas about upgrading my 06's brakes. I doubt there's a single answer but feedback would be appreciated.

Like many others, my lever ran out of room by the time it started really started to scrub speed. I swapped out to Galfer lines, and their 1375 pads. It's a bit better now, I don't run out of room anymore but the first half of the lever's stroke is wasted travel before it actually grabs. BTW - I bled the hell out of them and also tried the piston-pushing technique to get where I am. It's bearable, but not satisfactory yet.

I've been swayed toward the idea of a new master cylinder as my next step.

--Looking at Brembo's, I found a reasonable price on the M/C's but it's an extra ~100 bucks or so to rig up the brake light switch. The cost of the brake switch makes me wonder if I shouldn't just try for the RCS model, even though it's bleeding edge and probably not available yet. It's def overkill for my slow ass :badteeth:

I'm worried about my Galfer lines not fitting, and know that I'd have to at least replace the hose between the reservoir and the M/C. Buying new lines again would suck and would ruin the deal.

--I thought I heard of some people crossgrading to a different OEM master cylinder, and swear I saw pics on this board...but can't find details on that anymore. Am I just thinking about the ZX6/ZX14 calipers?

I guess my main questions are, is the M/C the wrong way to go? If I go Brembo, will my lines still fit with their custom Banjo bolt? Isn't there an OEM option that has better performance?

Many thanks,
Atonal

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I would do the calipers first, for money's sake. You already have a radial master cylinder on your '06, just get the Nissin calipers from any model ZX14 or an '07 ZX6. Direct bolt on. Should make a big difference. I would also look at the Vesrah RJL pads. I put on the vesrah, keeping stock calipers and didn't experience any fade after doing a full day at Barber Motorsports Park where I had fade 2 weeks earlier.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grease, much appreciated. I've gotten some reassurance that my lines etc will fit, so I'll probably pursue a new Master.

Not sure what you mean "for money's sake" since it seems like the calipers will run me about the same as a nice M/C. Maybe you just meant that I'd eventually replace calipers anyways?

I figure if this doesn't help control and lever pull, I'll try and rebuild the existing calipers. If/When that doesn't work, off go the calipers and my "new" bike will have completely new brakes. :dontknow:

What an achilles heel to an otherwise amazing bike!

Thanks,
Atonal

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
indeed the brakes are a weak aspect of the 10's and it still baffles us as to why KMC didn't fit the Nissin cals to the 10's when they are in the same building during assem.

BD

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
You know why BD, the 10r was just waiting to be replaced and also it may have something to with an agreement with tokico to use their brakes on specific models.
Thus the new 08 calipers are tokico as well.

but the 6R are nissin.
same thing with the forks showa vs Kayaba...just not burning their bridges it seems.

The nissin caliper are defineately a huge improvement and the brembo 19x18 just plains rocks use it on both my kawi's

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
You know why BD, the 10r was just waiting to be replaced and also it may have something to with an agreement with tokico to use their brakes on specific models.

but the 6R are nissin.
same thing with the forks showa vs Kayaba...just not burning their bridges it seems.
could very well be true. :dontknow:

BD

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I would go direct for the MC. A good top quality MC makes a world of difference. The calipers are also a great mod and you might be able to keep the Galfer Lines you already have. With a new MC though it might be best to get a custom set made for your application. That way you know its not going to bind . Also as far as the brake light switch use a banjo brake switch. It costs a mere $25.00.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

but the 6R are nissin.

The nissin caliper are defineately a huge improvement and the brembo 19x18 just plains rocks use it on both my kawi's
:+1: Your are dead on. Kawi doesn't want to burn any bridges and have specific agreements with both Nissin and Tokico.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on new calipers. So you say any ZX-14 calipers will bolt right on to a 06-07 ZX-10? Or is there a specific year? I was thinking about getting a set of Brembo's but man, those things are expensive.

Oh, I wanted to add that I am changing out my calipers because now that I am putting in faster lap times I really need the better brakes. For road use I wouldn't bother. I believe, on the stock 06-07 10R brake calipers, that the porting for fluid flow is just very very poor. And the only way to truly fix it is to change out the calipers all together.

·
Registered
325 Posts
have you try bleeding the brakes, then pushing the pistons in the calipers back all the way... mount the calipers and rebleed, push piston back and rebleed like 3 or 4 times?

I did that and got bubbles for some reason.. and now none of the stuff you're talking about..

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
So you say any ZX-14 calipers will bolt right on to a 06-07 ZX-10?
Yup, 06-08 ZX-14 and 07-08 ZX-6 Nissins are a direct bolt on for 04-07 ZX-10 with no modifications.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Are the zx-14/zx-6 Nissins worth their "new" price? Or should one wait for used ones to pop up on ebay? I think they are $200 each, new.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
have you try bleeding the brakes, then pushing the pistons in the calipers back all the way... mount the calipers and rebleed, push piston back and rebleed like 3 or 4 times?

I did that and got bubbles for some reason.. and now none of the stuff you're talking about..
Matter of fact I have done that and still do that. Take a look at who wrote the instructions on doing that. :mrgreen:

I am getting tired of doing that after each practice or race day. It would be nice not having to do brake maintenance during a race weekend. Not to mention having the brakes not get spongy after a half day of racing.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yep, that helped but what I'm left with freaks me out during spirited riding. The first 1/2 or 1/3 of the pull is all "play" with no resistance and no braking. Then the pads clamp down suddenly just before I run out of room...

That doesn't leave any room for fade and I've got the lever all the way out. Haven't gotten the pace up that far yet but this problem doesn't really encourage it.

The lines and Galfer 1375's definitely brought more bite...now I just need more control, further away from the handlebar. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
That doesn't leave any room for fade and I've got the lever all the way out. Haven't gotten the pace up that far yet but this problem doesn't really encourage it.

The lines and Galfer 1375's definitely brought more bite...now I just need more control, further away from the handlebar. :mrgreen:
We feel ya thats for sure. There's many threads addressing this issue over and over and for the largest % replacing the MC or calipers and or both has been the answer.

BD

·
Registered
139 Posts
I put the zx-14 calipers on my 07 before doing a track day at Nashville. They didn't fade at all. I used the stock pads and the stock lines. Changed my fluid out and bled them really good. IMO the best upgrade to date. Got lucky and found mine for $65 with lines and pads.

When you put a set on, be careful cause I nearly threw myself over the bars testing them. :lol:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am having the same dam problem with my front brake lever not biting until it is pulled in half way. I have bled the brakes until my face turned blue with no improvement. I have a 19 x 18 Brembo master cylinder on order. Will be installing it this weekend if it comes in by then. That is the thing I am starting with as I see a trend of people who are pointing towards the MS. That will be the only mod to the front braking system on my 2007 10. That should put this to bed. More after these messages.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts