Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I take my bike in to the Kawasaki dealership and they service manager says they can replace the parts under the good times warranty but they will be the same and quote: "that's just the way the ZX-10's brakes are, we can replace the parts but it will be the same" All I want do to is get rid of the slack (there's about 1 1/2" of play in the lever before the brakes engage). They are trying to sell me steel braided lines, master cylinder, lever and charge me like $300.00 to $400.00.

Anyone out there know anything about this??

P.S.

They did bleed the brakes and adjust the knob on the lever but it didn't do anything.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
So I take my bike in to the Kawasaki dealership and they service manager says they can replace the parts under the good times warranty but they will be the same and quote: "that's just the way the ZX-10's brakes are, we can replace the parts but it will be the same" All I want do to is get rid of the slack (there's about 1 1/2" of play in the lever before the brakes engage). They are trying to sell me steel braided lines, master cylinder, lever and charge me like $300.00 to $400.00.

P.S.

They did bleed the brakes and adjust the knob on the lever but it didn't do anything.
Well the service mgr quote is correct ('thats just the way the zx10's brakes are') end quote.

I feel for your frustration and delimma i really do but based upon your 3-4 other posts/threads searching for answers and feedback here i along with other members have given you the same answer the SM gave you but for some reason you either don't believe us or insist there's another way but frankly there isn't unfortunately so your choices are whats already been given to you in this thread.
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47910

BD

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Another aspect of this issue is getting your hands on your bike and learning first hand about bike luv, ie learn to bleed your own brakes now and for the future because at some point you'll pay for it as opposed to getting your hands dirty which brings personal satisfaction.

BD

·
Registered
395 Posts
What is f**k up about the 10's (06/07) is the fact they are 2 pads each side, get some nissans, end of story :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks....

Thanks everyone for the responses on the brakes, I did read the past posts on the subject. I don't know how to bleed the brakes but willing to learn, you wanna give me directions, I'll do it!! I'm honestly not mechanically inclined so, I thought you could just tighten up the cable instead of buying all new parts or having stuff replaced under warranty.

ZX -14 calipers? Do you mean I should have the parts replaced under warranty with ZX 14 calipers and that will solve it ?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, really Nissans huh? That's what my CBR had and I had no problem

·
Registered
373 Posts
ZX -14 calipers? Do you mean I should have the parts replaced under warranty with ZX 14 calipers and that will solve it ?
It is an upgrade that some users do for better stopping power. They wont replace them with the 14's calipers.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses on the brakes, I did read the past posts on the subject. I don't know how to bleed the brakes but willing to learn, you wanna give me directions, I'll do it!! I'm honestly not mechanically inclined so, I thought you could just tighten up the cable instead of buying all new parts or having stuff replaced under warranty.
Ok fair enough. There is no cable for the brakes so forget that altogether.

Here's a 'how to' on replacing the lines & bleeding the system.
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4955

The suggestions you've received to replace with either the zx14 or 07 zx6r nissin calipers is NOT warranty but rather out of your pocket expense just as the ss-lines, fluid or aftermarket pads would be.

BD

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

P.S.

Beats the Crap out of me, all I can say is on my 05 the brake lever came back like your describing and generally felt soft (even though the bike stopped, it felt too horror-able for words.
I switched out master cylinder for 06, others have done it with 6R master cylinder. and I replaced the hoses with braided. A friend loaned me a vacuum power bleader, and now I have one finger braking, couldn't ask for better.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
What is it about the master cylinder on the 6R that is so much better relative to the 10's? I figured I'd just do some braided brake lines and new pads and be done with it. Are you guys actually getting a good difference with just braided brake lines or is just a minimal difference? I know people like to inflate their claims on this stuff, I'd like to get a no b.s. response.

·
Registered
690 Posts
bleeding brakes is very simple.

i would suggest that if you're not mechanically inclined, have someone help you with it. bleeding brakes/brake maintenance isn't something you want to screw up.

·
Registered
571 Posts
What is it about the master cylinder on the 6R that is so much better relative to the 10's? I figured I'd just do some braided brake lines and new pads and be done with it. Are you guys actually getting a good difference with just braided brake lines or is just a minimal difference? I know people like to inflate their claims on this stuff, I'd like to get a no b.s. response.
Pads and lines get you a very minimal improvement.

It's the MC.

I've tried ZX-10 and ZX-6 calipers back to back on the racetrack and felt NO difference. I've also tried ZX-10 and ZX-6 Master Cylinders back to back on the racetrack and the ZX-6 MC made a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference. No fade, good feel. I can't tell you what's different... I've had them side by side and they're very, very similar but you try them out and I guarantee I know which on you'll like.

I haven't tried the ZX-14 calipers but I have a hard time believing that's the cure. I think those are the same people that claim that lines or pads will fix the problem. :dontknow:

I've since gone with the Brembo MC and never, every worry about my brakes on the track and never need more than one finger.:wink:

:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
317 Posts
I changed my pads to sintered Ferodo's and installed SS lines & Motol 600 fluid & used a vacuum bleeder to get ALL of the air out & it made a huge difference.. Not only more power in the braking But, more "feel" (control) For street riding That's all you need to do. because there is enough time in between hard braking that you will hardly get any brake fade if any at all. I can easilly lift the rear of the bike off the ground in a controlled stoppie with one finger.
Recently, I bought ZX14 master Cyllinder/07 zx6r calipers with Galfer ceramic backed HH pads because on the track your brakes are much more likely to fade than they are on the street.. So, it really depends on what type of riding you're doing.. If you're going to the track then you might want to consider the new MC & calipers.. If you only ride street/canyons... then SS lines, pads & good fluid should be fine..

By the way I'm going to be selling my Ferodo Pads (only have about 50 miles on them) now that I got the new calipers.. Let me know if you're interested
________
Bbw fucking

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'd tend to agree with the post above.... for the street lines/pads and keeping the bled really well would likely be enough for many riders. The track is another story... :wink:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I just ride the street and honestly wanted the brake lines for possibly a little bit better performance but mainly looks. I'm not a big fan of the huge rubber lines. My pads still have a ton of miles left on them so I may hold off on those.

As far as the different calipers, the 14 calipers are a 3 piston design cause the bike is around 100 lbs heavier. My dad's 12 has the 3 piston caliper on there and I'd think it would have a lot more stopping power. But I'm not interested in spending a ton of money on new calipers for just street app. I'll probably get some lines for Christmas or something and do pads then or maybe a little later. I'm not in that big of a need for a new master cylinder, plus I already got levers for my bike.

Thanks for the input fellas.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I changed my pads to sintered Ferodo's and installed SS lines & Motol 600 fluid & used a vacuum bleeder to get ALL of the air out & it made a huge difference.. Not only more power in the braking But, more "feel" (control) For street riding That's all you need to do. because there is enough time in between hard braking that you will hardly get any brake fade if any at all. I can easilly lift the rear of the bike off the ground in a controlled stoppie with one finger.
By the way I'm going to be selling my Ferodo Pads (only have about 50 miles on them) now that I got the new calipers.. Let me know if you're interested
I agree, I did the same(just steel lines and a good bleed) and with 1 finger my bike is stopping and doesn't come near the travel to the bar like what is talked about in this thread.

I would be interested as well in the Ferodo's I all ready use them for the rear brakes, so PM with price and I'll check if I need front pads as well. Thanks
bloo

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
This was my 04 with 05 zx6r radial pump that was a significant difference once bled and vesrah RJL pads installed. Brake switch plugs in, color matched were the bonuses.

BD

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts