Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a couple old brake threads, I'm thouroughly confused ....

How 'bout this: Will a 1st Gen benefit from stock 2nd Gen radial MC??

TIA

·
Registered
474 Posts
I got one off a zx636,it helped.I just replaced the front calipers with the CBR1000RR calipers big improvement.I'll be getting my Vesrah race pad's Friday,then I will have fantastic brakes.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
Will a 1st Gen benefit from stock 2nd Gen radial MC??
TIA
Yes! Most people with Gen 1's swap out the the MC for the radial MC that comes on the Gen 2/3's/ZX-14's. This and the caliper mod are the tits!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
Damn! BD beat me to it!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys! :hello:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, you guys have confused me.

There's a whole heap of 2nd gen owners who have chucked the radial MC, along with calipers as well. I replaced my m/c on the 2nd gen with a 'Braking' radial m/c and there's been a noticable improvement. I wouldn't waste my time on the 2nd gen m/c, considering it also had a recall from Nissin (although you had to push it to get them to replace it). I.e. if you buy a 2nd hand one, it might be one of the shit ones, it might be one of the good ones, it's a lucky draw.

Yeah, the 2nd gen brakes are better out of the box, but not by much.

1st gen = super shit
2nd gen = reasonably shit.

Why upgrade from super shit to reasonably shit, when you can just go to reasonably good with an aftermarket m/c, then super good with different calipers.

Ok, so that's my than 2c, but hey ... opinions are like assholes, everyones got em.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
:bs:

The calipers are the issue on the Gen 2's, NOT the master cylinder. On the Gen 1's, the linear master can be swapped for the radial master from the '06-'08 along with some new calipers for a complete transformation of the brakes. But it does not require spending several hundred $$$ on aftermarket equipment.

Reactions: kawiralph

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a Gen 1 and I replaced the calipers (with CBR 1000 calipers) and put good pads in. Brakes are awesome now. Was looking at doing the radial MC originally and braided lines but did the calipers first. After doing the calipers, I'm not going to bother with the other mods...... unless it rains cash in my garage :lol:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have a gen1 and a box with 05 636 MC and calipers...should I replace both the MC and calipers from the 6 or just the MC?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
Neither. The ZX-6 parts are only compatible from '07 on. Your '05 stuff won't work.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
really? that's not what I remember when we discussed this topic back in 06...can someone verify?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
The MC is a deffinate yes but not sure of anyone that used the 6r calipers but thats the exact setup i used on my 04..........ie 05 zx6r(636) OEM radial MC W/ss-lines for it as well.

BD

·
Registered
474 Posts
:+1: to what DB said

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
thanks guys...that's what I thought. I dont' think I would've bought them awhile ago if it wasn't going to work. but I still haven't put them on...been sitting in a box for a year at least...

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
The trouble with these "Brake " threads is the variety of answers you get which arent relative to the question first asked, and then some poor bugger has to flick through pages of posts to find out what is really needed.

We need to post a sticky of which combinations of pads, rotors , calipers and Masters fit which model and what modifications are needed to make it all work.

I can see why newbies get confused on what is best , but then they are asked to use the search button ?????

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
The trouble with these "Brake " threads is the variety of answers you get which arent relative to the question first asked, and then some poor bugger has to flick through pages of posts to find out what is really needed.

We need to post a sticky of which combinations of pads, rotors , calipers and Masters fit which model and what modifications are needed to make it all work.

I can see why newbies get confused on what is best , but then they are asked to use the search button ?????
I can tell you that if a sticky thread was created for this topic as well as many others 3/4 of the members wouldn't read it before posing the questions, 'what exhaust is best' shit it happens each and every day because members do not read, they just post and or create a new thread blindly without giving any thought of using the obligatory search button, the zx10r section has become a dump it here section because members don't care to take the xtra 1min to locate the proper section for said topic..............need i go on.

BD

·
Registered
813 Posts
I can tell you that if a sticky thread was created for this topic as well as many others 3/4 of the members wouldn't read it before posing the questions, 'what exhaust is best' shit it happens each and every day because members do not read, they just post blindly without giving any thought of using the obligatory search button, the zx10r section has become a dump it here section because members don't care to take the xtra 1min to locate the proper section for said topic..............need i go on.

BD
WOW!!!!:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

Last week I joked about the weekly tire thread. Sometimes, there are two or three tire threads going on the same page at the same time. When I did my search for the brake information, I got multiple pages of threads, each having multiple pages, many of which had pages that didn't actually have anything to do with the original question!!!!!!!!! Of course, I have made this same mistake, and probably most of us have, However, many people appear to give ZERO effort to avoiding this problem. And, it appears , of forget it, this rant has gone long enough......

Thanks, Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts