Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK , here's my question:

Why the Galfer superbike rotors are NOT recommended for street use?

My bike will soon need brake pads and I was wondering if the same principle applies to them. I love my brake to bite hard (one light pressure from one finger). Can I use race brake pads for the street? Are they good at any given temperature, dry , wet etc. ?

I searched and found plenty of what is good or not but noe I would like to know why.

thanks

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I run the Superbike rotors and G1003 pads on the track and on the street. They work incredibly well.

Only catch is that they don't work very well when cold. And by cold I mean pulling out of the garage onto the road or track. I just drag the front brakes a tiny bit for the first couple hundred yards to heat them up. Then they work just fine.

Different pads would solve this, but I like the G1003 pads so much, they're worth it to me. I also like good initial bite, and they deliver. Never more than one finger needed.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My "guess" is many companies put that on their products for liability or marketing reasons. They are basically the same as the normal wave rotors, but a few more cuts into them so they add to the leading/trailing edges that cut into the pad. This gives more feedback and better initial bite.

Not sure on this either, but I would guess marketing them for "race use" only avoids having to pay any type of DOT certification fees.

Couple of years ago Galfer had a bad batch and a bunch of them warped.

I would look at the Brembo HP's or the Braketech Axis in SS. Then get some HH sintered pads and your good to go.

But if the Galfer Superbikes are what you want, I cant see any reason why they wouldnt be just fine on the street.
thanks for the reply

I'm glad you are still on this forum...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run the Superbike rotors and G1003 pads on the track and on the street. They work incredibly well.

Only catch is that they don't work very well when cold. And by cold I mean pulling out of the garage onto the road or track. I just drag the front brakes a tiny bit for the first couple hundred yards to heat them up. Then they work just fine.

Different pads would solve this, but I like the G1003 pads so much, they're worth it to me. I also like good initial bite, and they deliver. Never more than one finger needed.
Do they squeek? I absolutely do not want brakes that that make noise... Sincerly, I ok with the stoke brake pads but they are more than double the price.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Do they squeek? I absolutely do not want brakes that that make noise... Sincerly, I ok with the stoke brake pads but they are more than double the price.
I'm running SBS Sinter front brake pads, and yes, they work very well. Stock rotors BTW.

Enough to justify almost $300 a set? Only if your racing, or have $ to blow.

I can hear them squeak some when pulling off the track (hot!) into the pit area (slow). I have only had them on the street once and didn't notice any noise.

I would say stick with the factory pads and save your $.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Try the EBC Extreme Pros. Went from Vesrah's to these and only noticed a small difference. For the price/performance, I would go with the EBC's all day! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts