Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got new pads and it says i should clean my rotors to get the old pad material off. what are you guys using to do this?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I use the little sanding blocks. They help you keep from overdoing it. Just don't get too carried away.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
personally i use some Dawn or similiar dish washing soap, After having an issue with brake cleaner (leaving residue), removes the oil and once washed off wont leave any residue on the rotors...

many companies will say to wash the system off as well, not use brake cleaner.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Scotchbrite. Cleans and scuffs without removing any metal or leaving scratches.

I've never had a problem with brake cleaner really, so I still use it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Scotchbrite. Cleans and scuffs without removing any metal or leaving scratches.

I've never had a problem with brake cleaner really, so I still use it.
I agree with scotchbrite and brake clean but I do a final wash with soap and water, brake clean can cause issue with the pad material depending on type of pad.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I agree with scotchbrite and brake clean but I do a final wash with soap and water, brake clean can cause issue with the pad material depending on type of pad.
:+1:
I always dish soap and water it after...

·
Registered
658 Posts
honesly, I just use some brake parts cleaner and then wipe it off with an alcohol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Scotch brite or fine emery cloth is fine. Followed by brake cleaner. Its a "must do" process if you are switching to carbon pads such as SBS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact compound of the stock pads. I always prep my rotors though when switching pads. Sintered pads work great on the street due to good initial bite and little warm up time. If you run the track, I recommend the carbon pads. They require more heat build up, but dont fade as bad as sintered pads after a series of laps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts