Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a bit of searching and answered many of my questions. Just to give you an idea of my situation...I have 2013 non-abs with about 20k miles. I'm toying with the idea of selling for something different, but if I keep it I think I'm going to need to at least replace some brake components. Aside from SS lines, the braking system is stock. The bike is used only on the street, so I know the stock M/C is good enough. Is it worth it/necessary to upgrade anywhere else? I'm going to replace the pads and possibly the rotors if they appear to need it. I don't want to blow unnecessary money, but if I can get a good bang for the buck to improve the system I'm good with that. Anyway, any help or advice or personal issues or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
I agree with Carlos. A good set of pads is all that should be needed outside of racing. :ayyy:

·
Registered
903 Posts
SS lines and pads is all you need for what you use the bike for. Stock brake system is very good even. Our top racers in AFM run stock calipers and master and they're at the top of the time sheets. Unless your rotors are loose at the buttons or are warped (pulsing under braking), they don't need to be upgraded. Flush the old brake fluid with fresh one and bleed it properly.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's good news. Now I don't have to go crazy with the funds. Hopefully this isn't to similar to the oil question, but any recommended or not recommended pads?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would look for green g5 bodywork, makes the bike look special again.

I've toyed with idea of changing colors, but I'd probably lean towards black with either green or orange accents. I've debated Plastidip, but don't know how well it'll hold up and don't want to waste money to get a shitty paint job.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
That's good news. Now I don't have to go crazy with the funds. Hopefully this isn't to similar to the oil question, but any recommended or not recommended pads?
Stay away from the EBC and Galfer pads. Do get Vesrah SRJL or Carbone Lorraine pads. You can thank me later! :ayyy:

Oh, and Mike at Rider's Discount will cut you a good deal on the pads! And I'm pretty sure he carries the CL pads in stock! :helmet:

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'd agree with SkyDork but it's also important to get correct pads for your mode of operation, which is street. Both Vesrah and Carbonne Lorrain make different pads. The rule of thumb is, if a pad is designed for racing, it will probably not perform optimally on the street. Street riding opens up to a wider variety of pad brands, as requirements aren't as heavy. I have no issues with Galfer pads on my street bike.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, and Mike at Rider's Discount will cut you a good deal on the pads!

Mike's always my go to man. He's happily taken a lot of money from me. Ok, full disclosure...I've happily given him a lot of money.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't want to spend the money on some pads that make things worse.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For street pads my specific recommendation would be Ferodo XRAC or Vesrah RJL,

I echo Skydork, stay away from EBC and Galfer.

I do not like my CL XBK5, they do everything alright but do not excel at any aspect.
Maybe there are better CL pads out there, but the XBK5 certainly left me unimpressed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Stay away from the EBC and Galfer pads. Do get Vesrah SRJL or Carbone Lorraine pads. You can thank me later! :ayyy:
+1 on the Vesrah pads. Made the biggest difference on my ABS bike. I've also put SS lines on it with no noticable difference (very spirited riding on back country roads).
Put a Brembo M/C on it earlier this year and it improved the feel of the front. I also change my fluid once or twice a year. That helps as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts