Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a quick question regarding the brakes on my 07 ZX6. I could have posted this question on Kawi forums but I feel much more confident in this forum for useful info...

When I get on the brakes anywhere over 55-60 mph I get a vibration in the front end until I get down to about 50mph and then it goes away. I can't fully recall if the bike had this problem when I got it (goldfish memory) but I got the bike with 5000 miles on it and it has about 6600 now. It has what I assume to be stock brake pads on it, stock rotors, and a Brembo 19x18 with Spiegler lines. The front tire is also new since I got the bike and it doesn't seem to have any kind of shake outside of braking.

Please help!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If it only vibrates with the brakes applied then it has to be the brakes.Check the rotors you may have one that's warped.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it only vibrates with the brakes applied then it has to be the brakes.Check the rotors you may have one that's warped.
Is there an easy check procedure? I just had it on the stands and tried loosening/tightening everything and I tried tinking the buttons a little bit to free them up if they were bound up in any way.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Its probably time to clean the calipers real good along with the rotors.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Is there an easy check procedure? I just had it on the stands and tried loosening/tightening everything and I tried tinking the buttons a little bit to free them up if they were bound up in any way.
A dial indicator for sure.There should be a procedure in the manual if you have one.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A dial indicator for sure.There should be a procedure in the manual if you have one.
Damn, I guess I will have to download the manual..

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Your going to have to make a platform for the dial indicator. Put the needle against the rotor and turn the wheel slowly. There should be aa spec for being out of spec. Sometimes a simple loosening of the bolts, fresh loctite (242), and torque to spec can change things. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I am going to take it all apart and redo it... I will visually inspect the rotors then since I don't have the proper tools to check the runout on the rotors... If there's no difference then I will start looking into new rotors.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
I always tell people to check the head bearing, I had a problem with the front end pulsating on my 10 and after I changed out everything that had to do with brakes and still had the issue it ended up just being my head bearing!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I always tell people to check the head bearing, I had a problem with the front end pulsating on my 10 and after I changed out everything that had to do with brakes and still had the issue it ended up just being my head bearing!
Did it pulsate when only braking?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Wheelie popper?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do wheelies on mine but I'm exceptionally easy on the front end IMO due to my history of stuntriding... ie-I know how to do it right haha. With the mileage on the bike I really hope it's not steering bearing but that would be right in line with my usual luck haha.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
I do wheelies on mine but I'm exceptionally easy on the front end IMO due to my history of stuntriding... ie-I know how to do it right haha. With the mileage on the bike I really hope it's not steering bearing but that would be right in line with my usual luck haha.
Steering bearing's are $35 bucks and only take a couple hours to put in if that, they are actually pretty easy to do!!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I know what you mean.All I can say is Ive been on the track with stock brakes to upgraded brakes and had the lever pull all the way to the bars,Ive never had a pulsation and have had my rotors,pads,and calipers on and off the bike many times.Ive ridden bikes that have and the end result has been a warped rotor or not torqued bolts to the rotors.I guess steering head bearings would be a issue also.I just never had that problem yet.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know what you mean.All I can say is Ive been on the track with stock brakes to upgraded brakes and had the lever pull all the way to the bars,Ive never had a pulsation and have had my rotors,pads,and calipers on and off the bike many times.Ive ridden bikes that have and the end result has been a warped rotor or not torqued bolts to the rotors.I guess steering head bearings would be a issue also.I just never had that problem yet.
I will check the bolt torque. It just blows my mind that a normal person riding on the street could warp a rotor without doing something excessively dumb.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If the rotors have been off the front rim you dont have to do anything excessive to warp them . They may have not been tightened correectly.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update: I mounted new tires, while the wheel was off I removed the rotors, checked everything and re-installed. Put her all back together and the shake is gone! I guess it was a bad tire after all... either that or something was out of whack and I righted it with all the work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts