Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
To the best of my knowledge theres no way of cleaning up pad material if its 'saturated' in something like fork oil. I had a set few years back (stupidly) fall into a tub of WD-40 and there was no sorting them. Only way is to replace them!! Don't want what's stopping you working below par.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'd be concerned with oil on the pads. I don't know what material these pads are made of but if they have developed a glaze then they at least need to be sanded to remove the glaze and even then I'd be worried.

The pads aren't very expensive and are pretty important. Why not invest in a fresh set for insurance?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am a GM tech for 16 years there is no way to get any oil out of brake pads...You must replace them!!!!!!!I would not take the chance when you nead to stop you nead to stop!!!!!!!!pads $100.00 life worth much more than that.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I am a GM tech for 16 years there is no way to get any oil out of brake pads...You must replace them!!!!!!!I would not take the chance when you nead to stop you nead to stop!!!!!!!!pads $100.00 life worth much more than that.
:goodpost: Nuff Said?

(disgregard my first post....obviously:lol:)

·
Registered
700 Posts
If they are sintered metal you can try soaking them in carb cleaner and maybe take a torch and heat them up a little. But if they are organic they are toast. But it is still a good idea to replace them anyway whats $60 on a $10,000 motorcycle.

Here is a fun fact. I normally spray all the unpainted plastic and rubber on my bike with pure silicone to protect them. But when you get silicone on your break rotors there is no stopping power....ask me how i know.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so i changed my fork seals and sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner on my pads and they seem to be alot better. i mean the factory 10 brakes suck but they are alot better than what they were with fork oil all over them. Just don't have enough money to buy a new set of pads right now. but they will definitely work mfor now

·
Registered
700 Posts
ok so i changed my fork seals and sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner on my pads and they seem to be alot better. i mean the factory 10 brakes suck but they are alot better than what they were with fork oil all over them. Just don't have enough money to buy a new set of pads right now. but they will definitely work mfor now
The stock pads are sintered metal so your probably ok. as soon as the oil get burned off there is not lasting effects to the pads(expect organics).

·
Registered
700 Posts
there not bad at all. The 04-05 had a older style master cylinder and not the best calipers but unless your on the track you will not notice the upgrade to better parts. Well maybe a firmer break feel but its not necessary for most street riders.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Factory brakes suck? I find them more than adequate
The stock brakes are fine for the street.But when you are at the end for the front straight in to turn 1 at 140mph and you go to grab the binders and there is nothing there but brake faid, and you shit your pants!!!!The first thing you do when you get home from the track is go online and fined new calpers and lines.I instald 06 07 cbr1000 calpers, steal lines, and new pads on my bike after my first track day. One of the best upgraids I ever did.:2cents:

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can't just upgrade the pads to a more track oriented compound? How does bigger binders help with fade?
Just changing the pads would help but ther is more to it this is my opinion.It is not that the calpers are bigger.It is that the stock 2ed gen calpers are a 4 pad 4 piston calper set up I think first gen is the same(with gives you a uneven push on the 4 pads) On the 06 07 cbr1000 calpers are 2 pad 4 piston calper.With a 2 pad set up you get a way better bit on the rotor(more clamping force).My brake fade was manly do to not having steal brake lines and using stock brake fluid, I boild the stock brake fluid. SO I replaced the fluid with ams oil brake fluid that had a higher booiling temp and used EBC pads.Keep this in mind on the track you are realy punishing the binders.The stock brakes are fine for the street my street 10 is all stock.I did change the brake fluid and will change the lines sone.If you want one finger brake pull that almost makes you crap you pants the first time you hit them upgrading calpers, lines, pads, and brake fluid will do the job.I only have about $300.00 in to this set up was wourth ever penny.I have ben a GM tech for about 16 years and this is just my mechanical opinion.:smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts