Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How tough is it for a mechanically inept person with a few tools to install stainless steal brake lines? I want ‘em, but don’t know if it’s worth my time to take it to a shop and have them installed?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
just make sure you have the right sockets, plenty of towels, and can take the front windscreen off. also know how to bleed the brakes. other than that its not to bad.

and before you ride off, definitly make sure the brakes work, clamp them down and push the bike forward to see if they are nice and stong and no fluid is leaking.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Very easy, but why would you have to take the windscreen off Rick, just turn the handle bars and you can get to the M/C.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
RickRoush03 said:
just make sure you have the right sockets, plenty of towels, and can take the front windscreen off. also know how to bleed the brakes. other than that its not to bad.

and before you ride off, definitly make sure the brakes work, clamp them down and push the bike forward to see if they are nice and stong and no fluid is leaking.
I've installed lines on several bikes and never had to remove the windscreen to do it. Why did you have to take the screen off to change brake lines? :dontknow:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
evander said:
How tough is it for a mechanically inept person with a few tools to install stainless steal brake lines? I want ‘em, but don’t know if it’s worth my time to take it to a shop and have them installed?

It's not hard, as in hard work, but it's something that simply HAS to be done right. Seeing as how it could cost you your life if you get it wrong, if you're truly "mechanically inept" I'd pay to get it done by a tech that you trust. If you're exaggerating and have basic mechanical abilities it's really not rocket science. I've gotta take the time to put together the photo how-to on this soon. Got pics for three how-to's and haven't had the time to write them up lately... :headshake

·
Registered
166 Posts
There's no reason to take off the screen. I installed a set of Goodridge lines a couple of months ago and didn't run into any problems regarding accessibility. Just make sure you put the lines on the correct way (correct orientation of top and bottom) and if memory serves me correctly, the left line is a little longer.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
RoninZX-10R said:
There's no reason to take off the screen. I installed a set of Goodridge lines a couple of months ago and didn't run into any problems regarding accessibility. Just make sure you put the lines on the correct way (correct orientation of top and bottom) and if memory serves me correctly, the left line is a little longer.
Yep, left (clutch side) line is the slghtly longer one (was with Galfers, too) and it mounts furthest away from the master cylinder (right line goes against the m/c). It's a no brainer figuring out which end goes where with the SBK Galfers. With the Sportbike kit you have to lay them out and make sure you've got 'em right. :wink:

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Are the brake lines easy to bleed after install

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
sgtusmc96 said:
Are the brake lines easy to bleed after install
Messy as hell, and a bit time consuming unless you have a MightyVac, but not that hard to do. :wink:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
well, you don't have to, but its so tight in there, i took mine off and when i did donnie's b/c it was easier and more room to work in there. just my .02

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
You can save your self even more money and just make your own lines. I have about $50 in front and rear. It is nothing more than a compression fitting. Sort of like copper tubing.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
You don't need a mightyvac to make it clean. Just put a short, rubber hose over the bleed screw into a catch can of some sort. No mess, no wasted towels, no repainting.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I did mine, I only removed the bolt holding the resiouv onto the perch and then installed them using some towels to keep the fluid off of things. Took me a whole 20 mins to install and bleed them. I didnt use a mighty vac either, I used the ole syphon method and it works just find and doesnt cost me a thing.

Make sure you bleed the fiting at the master cylinder and the calipers, and then ride the bike and rebleed in a day or so to get rid of any stray air in the calipers.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
i thought i heard that before, so you have all the bleed screws close correct, and just have the handle all the way depressed?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts