Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched a few weeks ago and have not had time to post since then, but I am having issues with the brake lever having quite a bit of take up before the brakes catch. Id say it grabs about 7/8" to 1" before the handle. Its on setting 2 , 1 being most aggressive. I read that calipers could be a cause of this. They are not spongy (like air in the lines) The bike has only 2,6xx miles on it. The pads are less than 25% worn (have lots of life left). It brakes fine its just the lever seems to have too much travel before stopping the bike. Any ideas?
Thanks,

This is on my 07' 10R

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
How about a less expensive solution, my buddies R6 has awesome lever feel so I am looking into its compatibility.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
zx-14 or zx-6r Nissin Calipers....direct swap....should be able to ebay some for $150 or so. It's not the Mastercylinder that the problem....its the calipers.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
zx-14 or zx-6r Nissin Calipers....direct swap....should be able to ebay some for $150 or so. It's not the Mastercylinder that the problem....its the calipers.
Ya the 2nd gen m/c is pretty good(Thanks again Photodigm1), far better then the crap they put on the'05!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yes...but 1 finger braking with the Tokico calipers?

Master cylinder to help a little......$300

Calipers to make a night and day difference.....$150

The guy already stated that the M/C is to high...

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
The brake pads have a lot to do with this and they don't have to be worn down to bare metal to cause trouble. If they are worn "tapered" - which tends to happen because of the loading conditions on the brake pads - it will lead to mushy feel. Been there ...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
:+2:
Radial M/C from a 07-09 zx6r/06-09 zx10r or any zx14 MC, does help. But the cure was the calipers..... any year zx14 or 07-08 zx6r calipers are the SHIT!!!!. I finally got the 1 finger stops that I wanted!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60215&highlight=brakes+fixed

Everything you could possibly want to know is here.

Long story short, the MC might help, but it's really the calipers that suck. I think ZX14 and some ZX6 calipers are direct bolt ons (again, see link). Concours calipers work too, I hear.

I got a set of '06 CBR1000RR calipers (ebay, $60 shipped) and some 5mm spacers, and I can brake pretty darn strong with 1 finger. No need for a $400 master cylinder. The improvement over the stock calipers is huge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone remember if the older 6r calipers were the same as the CBR 1000rr but without the need for spacers?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The MC is part of it, the calipers help a lot but a new MC will only add to the braking power. 1 Finger braking now.

Yep :thumbsup: (OK not the little guys thumb, but the finger next to it). But, the master cylinder was the first thing on my 05 (and braided lines, but I feel silly mentioning that, but I'd feel bad if I didn't). Could use after market pads next, now.

There is an extremely comprehensive, reporting on brake up-grades on this site, for different usages.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
No, the older 6R calipers are basically the same. Get the 07+ kawi calipers, or I got CBR calipers (as did many). Your master is radial, and not that bad. I would do the calipers, then if you feel necessary get some stainless lines. Then go to the master if you're still not happy.

There are a few die hards that say the stock calipers aren't that bad, but you just need to bleed them in a specific way, and frequently. I would rather do the swap and be able to bleed them like any other caliper and not have to do it more than once a year.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
No, the older 6R calipers are basically the same. Get the 07+ kawi calipers, or I got CBR calipers (as did many). Your master is radial, and not that bad. I would do the calipers, then if you feel necessary get some stainless lines. Then go to the master if you're still not happy.

There are a few die hards that say the stock calipers aren't that bad, but you just need to bleed them in a specific way, and frequently. I would rather do the swap and be able to bleed them like any other caliper and not have to do it more than once a year.
:+1: be sure to stay away from the 06-07 zx10r calipers... tried them also... CRAP!!!! also...
The zx6r 07-08' are perfect for my everyday riding and backroad curving.
If it don't say "NISSIN" don't buy it...
1 pic.. stock 05' zx10r Tokico calipers,no good, 2nd pic.. stock 07' zx10r Tokico calipers, no good.. 3rd pic.. stock zx6r 08" Nissin caliper,perfect!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
I got stainless lines (free, actually) and put some HH pads on, and made a helluva difference. looking around for cbr calipers though. still got more travel than I like, but 2 fingers brings up the rear tire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts