Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone -

I have a buddy who is pulling his hair-out (or what's left of it !) trying to determine why his front-right brake rotor becomes REALLY HOT after riding his ZX9-R.

He did all the typical investigative stuff - fluid replacement, cleaned the pistons, installed new pads, checked for warpage, etc......

Any suggestion?

nummy

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Master Cylinder not releasing fully? Not sure, but if he needs parts I have a buddy parting one out.

·
Registered
844 Posts
sometimes when brakes don't completely release i've seen old lines collapse so it does'nt allow the caliper pistons to back off.

·
Registered
724 Posts
What's hot ? Like red hot or what ? If he jacks up the front does it drag bad or what ? Sounds like it's dragging or the pads are stuck on the pins. If he cleaned the pistons,etc I'd pull the pins and clean them with metal polish really well and you can actually put a thin layer of grease on them to make sure your pads aren't getting stuck on them.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
if its the rotor, then its because the pads/calipers are not letting go all the way. when he replaced the fluid, he did make sure to use the correct viscosity oil? does the front wheel free spin, or does it feel like its being clamped? if he has changed the pads recently make sure that the retainer clips are seated flush and not pushing the pad away from the caliper. id tell him to get that shit looked at by a pro if he cant figure it out, the last thing in the world anyone of us need is a brake failure.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Since its specific to one of the front 2 calipers we can assume its a problem with that caliper. Was there any previous problem before the service? Did the system have funk in it? Its hard to fix over the "phone". You may have to bring this problem to a competent mechanic who's not guessing at it but has enough repair experience to know how to diagnose and fix the problem without wasting time and money....so you wind up with a brake system that is reliable and safe

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
dude. just look at the front brakes as a system.this is how it works.when you pull on the front brake lever the masters cyl pushes fluid down the lines and to the calipers.therefore squeezing the pads to the rotors.so you have one getting hot.It cant be the master because its only one.apply the brake and release it. open the bleeder on the suspected caliper if fluid shoots out id suspect the brake line,if fluid does not shoot out but its still tight suspect the caliper. also when he cleand the calipers did he remove the pistons?If not they could be sticking.If he did and they are six piston calipers he may have put them in wrong,they are differnt sizes.try the procedure i told you first and youll find out. good luck.:eek:ccasion1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts