Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outside of specific motorycle brake fluid, is car brake fluid acceptable for our bikes? Im talking about Valvoline SynPower sythetic formula brake fluid that exceeds DOT 3 and DOT 4. Say's is is ideal for hydrualic drum and disk breaks.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Doesn't sound like a good idea. And I base this on no factual information whatsoever. :lol: There could be a number of differences in car vs. bike brake fluid - the DOT ratings could use the same numbers for diff quality bars, etc. Example: don't put 10w40 car oil in your bike. Back to brake fluid - the boil points may differ, among other things that would make it undesirable to use in your bike.

Since Galfer DOT4 is like $7, it's just not worth the risk to me to use anything questionable.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I installed my Galfer lines yesterday with the Valvoline SynPower brake fluid. Rode all day today, bike felt really good! I think it's just fine with the Valvoline. As long as it's DOT 4 or better. BTW, I do use car oil & car filter on my bike. It's actually for diesel engines. Shell Rotella 15w 40 & a ST-7317 filter. Bike runs awesome!

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Most people pay for this sort info thats why i'm stingie with it, and it hurts my brain to think it may be wasted if i just continually throw it out there for the wolves....... did that sting?? :bump:

BD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts