Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm going to install braided lines today.
Anyone have any suggestions for the fluid.
I have some dot 4 maxima stuff, and thats what I usualy use.

The reason I ask is its the same fluid I've been using in my track bike and dirt bike.
I've noticeed brake fade in my track bike not sure if it's the fluied or pads etc...
I'm curious what other folks have had good luck with...
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Put the MOTUL 600 in mine, and Castrol in DB's, both seem to work great.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Moved to tech section

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
i have them on my bike. i put sny in mine. they work and look sweet at the same time.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I use the Valvoline stuff because it is cheap and available. Notice the difference in the wet and dry boiling point. Change your brake fluid often if you use your brakes hard. Me, I have never experience brake failure from fluid boil (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info boys.
I think I'm gonna wait on the brake lines
I just got back from getting a custom map done and Fuck its hot !!!!!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I run the Motul 5.1 and have not had any probs with it. I have the braided lines also...

I about fell out of my chair when someone said dont worry about brake fluid as it doesnt affect brake fade. Brake fuild is the number one reason you can get brake fade. Once the fuild reached its boiling point then brake fade will be easier to achieve and then add in on that glazed over pads and rotors and it is something that no one want to see when they are grabbing the binders in a hurry.

Change your fluid out at least once a year, you can do it by yourself and it only takes maybe 30 mins to do it. Brake fluid is hydoscopic, meaning at attracts and absorbs water. As it heat cycles the water contaminates the brake fluid causing it to get dark in color. The water in the system then starts corrosion in the system. Bike do not see it as bad as cars, as the cars have more steel products in the brake system than cars.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
you change your fluid when the color change. i do the same as swjohnsey . it's cheap and does the job well.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sneaky said:
I run the Motul 5.1 and have not had any probs with it. I have the braided lines also...

I about fell out of my chair when someone said dont worry about brake fluid as it doesnt affect brake fade. Brake fuild is the number one reason you can get brake fade. Once the fuild reached its boiling point then brake fade will be easier to achieve and then add in on that glazed over pads and rotors and it is something that no one want to see when they are grabbing the binders in a hurry.

Change your fluid out at least once a year, you can do it by yourself and it only takes maybe 30 mins to do it. Brake fluid is hydoscopic, meaning at attracts and absorbs water. As it heat cycles the water contaminates the brake fluid causing it to get dark in color. The water in the system then starts corrosion in the system. Bike do not see it as bad as cars, as the cars have more steel products in the brake system than cars.
We've got the tool for bleading it does a great job.
I'll need to order some motul and see how that works...
We've always changed our fluids every year and I've never noticed any problems with break fade untill i learned how to trail brake.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Motul RBF600 or Castrol SRF are great fluids. I use Motul, 'cause it's less money (never thought I'd say that about a Motul product).

However, this won't fix your problem. Only a new master cylinder will, as the fluid isn't the issue. A crap stock m/c with large tolerances that get larger with heat is the problem. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
On my 10 w/ stock lines fluid and mc.
The brake lever touchs the bar easy after some spirited riding.

On my F4 w/steel lines, maxima fluid and stock mc.
I had my brakes totaly crap out at a trackday.
I'm thinking I'll start with the motul in both for now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts