Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a discussion going on in our local bike forum as to weather or not sunlight breaks down brake fluid and the real reason why people/race teams use a resevoir cover.....It there any truth to the statement that sunlight breaks down brake fluid????

·
Registered
788 Posts
i have heard the uv light will but never saw proof, but i do know that if you somehow hurt the master the wristband will stop it from splattering everywhere.

i did a google and found that dot 3,4,5.1 will degrade by sunlight

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm wondering how much 'sunlight' gets through that tupperware bowl on my bike anyways.......
You figure sunblock lotion comes in SPF 50, what SPF do you think a 1mm thick sheet of plastic is?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
That cover is just to trap seepage of brake fluid in the unlikely event it does happen. never heard of sunlight effecting brake oil in a plastic cup.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
There are 2 main types of brake fluids. Glycol and silicone. Glycol fluids do degrade from sunlight. You usually don't see silicone fluid in bikes...I think it has something to do with a spongy lever feel but I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
the #1 killer of brake fluid is moisture due to being hydroscopic, hence it absorbs water from the atmosphere and as it does the boiling level is slowly reduced so all the talk about changing & bleeding fluid IS important.

BD

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
the #1 killer of brake fluid is moisture due to being hydroscopic, hence it absorbs water from the atmosphere and as it does the boiling level is slowly reduced so all the talk about changing & bleeding fluid IS important.

BD
:+1: Trust me I changed my fluid out every other race w/e and it needed it. I have seen a fellow racer not change his for a while and then his brakes totally go out on him and he had to quit the race after nearly crashing running straight off a corner. We helped him change it and it was brown and nasty. So while bleeding is a good idea always a complete flush is a good way to keep the fluid fresh.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Shit and now this. Where my new bottle of brake fluid... :thumbsup:
Once you crack the seal the process begins so ensuring its resealed tight, stored in a cool dry area is imortant as well.

BD

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
That cover is just to trap seepage of brake fluid in the unlikely event it does happen. never heard of sunlight effecting brake oil in a plastic cup.

This is what I've always thought. I'm sure sunlight can break it down but I'm sure most racers for pro teams probably change it every race. I would think it takes some serious direct sunlight for a while to break it down?!?!

I also heard that it helps from seepage which happened on my old bike and f*ed up my windscreen in a few spots. Put on the wristband and never had any more problems.

·
Registered
277 Posts

BD
Close, but it's hygroscopic. :hello:

A hydroscope is an instrument for making observations underwater.

But you're right, moisture is the big killer for brake fluid....also, remember that brake fluid is CLEAR, not yellow. If yours is dark yellow, change it.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts

But you're right, moisture is the big killer for brake fluid....also, remember that brake fluid is CLEAR, not yellow. If yours is dark yellow, change it.
Uh,Oh :headshake mines been from clear(brand new) to dark (2500 Miles-6000) and now back to clear (8500 miles). Will be changing soon.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts

mmmm i stand corrected and yes it is indeed hygroscopic = meaning the tendency of some materials to absorb moisture from humid air.

however i made no mention of a hydroscope :hello:

BD

·
Registered
277 Posts
Uh,Oh :headshake mines been from clear(brand new) to dark (2500 Miles-6000) and now back to clear (8500 miles). Will be changing soon.
Do it...I change mine twice a season. Once in the spring, once in the fall. Takes about 30 minutes for the front, 20 for the rear. Brake fluid is cheap, and it makes a huge difference in braking performance.

Go get a Craftsman brake bleeder kit at Sears for like $50, and you're set.

·
Registered
277 Posts
however i made no mention of a hydroscope :hello:

BD
Hahahaha....no, no you didn't. Hydroscopic = having to do with underwater scopes? :lol: :lol:

Brakes are under-rated and ignored far too often. One of the most important systems on any motorcycle, secondmost only to TIRES.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts