Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that most manufacturer of brake fluid said that once opened life is 90 days. Is there any reason that it will absorb more water in the original bottle than in a master cylinder?
I ask this because I'm currently waiting for a ZX6R master and hose, and I have a track day this saturday. Will it be better to keep my current brake fluid (original from 2004) or it will be still better to flush actual fluid and use the one from a bottle I opened last year? I will buy new fluid for my new master and hose, but I don't want to buy another can just for this trackday!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I don't want to buy another can just for this trackday!
If you are going to putt around and drive like you are looking for a parking spot in a K-Mart parking lot, there is no need to spend a whole $5 for a new can of brake fluid for this track day. I would say this is a classic case of false economy.

·
Registered
788 Posts
flush flush flush. i try to do mine once to twice a year depending on how i am riding. sunlight, moisture in the air when you put it in and heat kill the fluid. a good bet on fluid is napa dot4 for 3 bucks. you bought a ten 3 bucks cant kill you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, $$ is not the problem. I only ask myself if fluid in my opened bottle is better than the one already in my bike. If it's not better, I will only wait new hose and do the job once.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Hey, $$ is not the problem. I only ask myself if fluid in my opened bottle is better than the one already in my bike. If it's not better, I will only wait new hose and do the job once.
I fully understood what you were saying/asking. The opened bottle may be better but it isn't good enough. This is the deal.... Change your brake fluid with NEW fluid before you go to the track. And then replenish/replace the fluid when you change brake lines. Do not go to a track day with brake fluid that is 3+ years old. Or with brake fluid from the opened can that has been sitting in your garage for over a year. If you go to a track day and use your brakes with ANY aggression at all, you will may experience brake fade/failure which could radically deminish the enjoyment of your track day experience.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I fully understood what you were saying/asking. The opened bottle may be better but it isn't good enough. This is the deal.... Change your brake fluid with NEW fluid before you go to the track. And then replenish/replace the fluid when you change brake lines. Do not go to a track day with brake fluid that is 3+ years old. Or with brake fluid from the opened can that has been sitting in your garage for over a year. If you go to a track day and use your brakes with ANY aggression at all, you will may experience brake fade/failure which could radically deminish the enjoyment of your track day experience.
:+1: I've asked the same question to a qualified responder, and he pretty much said the same. I changed mine right before the trackday just for insurance.
I also have a Motion Pro Vacume Bleeder. Worth the $40 all the way. It takes very little time to completely bleed a system. You can push fluid or pull fluid with the pump. Now I do many of my buddies bike too!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
OK ninja3030, it is the day after the track day. So what did you do about the brake fluid, if anything? Did you have fun? What's the scoop?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
First thing I would do is switch to something along the lines of Motul RBF600...It does not absorb moisture as readily as some of the other brake fluids out there. I change the fluid once per year....with this year being the exception. I did 3 trackdays at Mid Ohio so I changed the fluid before the
3rd day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a nice day. Weather was a mix of cloud and sun, and a lot of wind. It was on a small track (1.1 mile), very bumpy. I don't have a lot of choice if I want to be less than 2h from home. Motorcycle best track time is 0:43:?? and I think racers where doing something like 0:45:00 this saturday. My time where between 0:47 and 0:48. There was a guy with a Busa on the track, he really knows how to drive! Curve to curve everything was draggin and he was the only street rider to keep up with me. I wish to see what he can do with a better bike. A racer had a big crash, nothing happened when he braked for corner. He lost a caliper, there was no bolt anymore! A friend of mine had someone crashing on his interior side when he was in a curve.

My bike power was more a killing, tire spin at every corner exit, wheely on bump on the 2 short straight. Throttle control please!

And now, for the first subject! I bought a bottle of Motul RBF-600 to change my fluid before the trackday, but I saw on the bottle that they recommend flushing at least 2 times before using this fluid. So I finally remove my caliper and pushed each piston to be sure there is no air trapped somewhere (was recommended here at ZX10 introduction), and proceeded to bleeding until fluid was clean and fill it with my few months old fluid. Brake have never been as good, why the hell i did not do that before! After first session brake lever was down a bit, but it stayed there all the day. Last year at a time my lever made contact with the grip :(

I will order ZX6R galfer line this week, and install it with my ZX6R master and Motul RBF-600. Or maybe is it possible with ZX10R hose and the good banjo bolt?! There is so much thread on that here that I'm not sure anymore. Some sayed that ZX6R line were a bit short.

And sorry for my english, this is not my language!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 12 of 12 Posts