Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do i want my brake fluid levels to be in the middle or upper marks?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
either one is cool just be mindful of it and never full as the fluid expands with heat and requires the xtra volume.

BD

·
Registered
941 Posts
Dude, this is probably the best question anyone has ever asked on this entire site. I had to do it by trial and error and ended ruining my tach and inner panel with brake fluid when it juiced out. I wish I could answer though but I'll give rep for you being a genuis.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good to know. guess my fluid will stay in the middle. O6 neenja sucks that that hada happen to your beautiful bike.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The upper line is the line my service books other other machines, including my car say to use. Granted the fluid does expand as it heats, but i assume that is what the extra volume at the top is there for.

As your pads wear the caliper pistons are going to move farther outward. Each of your front calipers has two pistons about the size of a quarter in diameter and a good 1.5" inches deep. As the pads wear and those pistons move outward the caliper internal cavity consumes more fluid to displace the piston material that is now exposed. If you have new pads on from the get go and you wear them down...it will lower your fluid in that resi a good deal. Ultimately if you don't have enough it "could" lower it to the point that air is sucked in, specially if you lean the bike hard and the fluid sloshes to the opposite side of the intake tube.

I think you are more likely to have this situation happen than actually expanding the fluid over and out the cap. In fact the little rubber bladder in the cap can soak up most of the expansion if this was to happen.

Just don't "over" fill it above that line.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Anything above the half way to full mark will be fine, just keep an eye and periodically check the level as the poster above said it will go down as the pads wear down.
________
Fix ps3

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
The upper line is the line my service books other other machines, including my car say to use. Granted the fluid does expand as it heats, but i assume that is what the extra volume at the top is there for.

As your pads wear the caliper pistons are going to move farther outward. Each of your front calipers has two pistons about the size of a quarter in diameter and a good 1.5" inches deep. As the pads wear and those pistons move outward the caliper internal cavity consumes more fluid to displace the piston material that is now exposed. If you have new pads on from the get go and you wear them down...it will lower your fluid in that resi a good deal. Ultimately if you don't have enough it "could" lower it to the point that air is sucked in, specially if you lean the bike hard and the fluid sloshes to the opposite side of the intake tube.

I think you are more likely to have this situation happen than actually expanding the fluid over and out the cap. In fact the little rubber bladder in the cap can soak up most of the expansion if this was to happen.
I disagree.:headshake Pads wearing down will happen and only effect the level a miniscuel amount over a period of months if not years of riding whereas a reservoir thats close to full will certainly be effected when the brakes are used to the extent it becomes hot and the fluid expands and the real potential for the brakes lockin up becomes a reality. If the fluid level is @ the low mark its more than enough (in fact whats in the lines themselves is sufficient for normal braking as the fluid is only forced to activate the pistons and then retracts)

BD

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
changing fluid?? lol i only have 2000 miles of highway cruising by myself. My brake fluid looks new still

1 - 14 of 14 Posts